Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 12:40 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbcrazycatlady View Post
Yes, this^ ^
How about not only pre-mobile phone and internet, but pre-caller ID!
I was forced to answer the damn phone to see who was calling instead of knowing everything (or so I think) and just letting it go until I "find time" to respond.

I remember making the phone cord reach to the closet so my sister couldn't hear me, and imitate me-- when I got off the phone Going to bonfires and parties and being forced to talk to each other...does everyone just mostly stand around looking at their phones now at parties?

I think that's why I've become ambivalent about dating. I was amazed at how easy it was to chat with, or go out with people I wouldnt have been able to meet if not for OLD, but the amazement wore off. Now I check my messages and think...."oh why bother, probably the same old crap." Sad, kind of, I'm sure I'm missing something/someone. My profile is "hidden" now so I don't feel rude in not answering. Too easy to lose the fascination with real life encounters and mysteries, when you have modern technology.
Bwahahahahaha!! Yes LOL same as answering the front door!.... although you could creep up .... Quietly and peek through the peek hole to see if you wanted to talk to them or not but with phones.....

I got a roasting from my dad years ago..... As we had such a phone with no number ID I had problems with a girl ( about 16ish I was ).... My dad answered with a polite " hello " ...... He got a " FO!! YOU %^%%^ why have you been ignoring me? You %#^!. ".......... ( thinking it was me ........ ( LMAO ) )

Oh yes and not just parties but even on dates it's the norm to text aswell

Yeah of course it has its advantage and it's 19:35 here now if I wasn't on CD I'd be getting smashed with the boys in the pub ( for a change ), but agreed on here I'm shocked at some of the people I get on with and could very easily have a drink with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 01:02 PM

238 posts, read 315,532 times
I bet some of us can relate to the this.

Imagine when you meet an interested person in a social setting, who wants your phone number, and you weren't interested, so you gave a fake number? That was the days of home phones. Easiest way to get someone off your back.

Nowadays, you're in the same situation and you can't give out a fake number, because everyone whips out their cell phone to save your number, and call you right there, just to verify it belongs to you.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefrijole71 View Post

Imagine when you meet an interested person in a social setting, who wants your phone number, and you weren't interested, so you gave a fake number? That was the days of home phones. Easiest way to get someone off your back.

Nowadays, you're in the same situation and you can't give out a fake number, because everyone whips out their cell phone to save your number, and call you right there, just to verify it belongs to you.
Maybe that's contributed to the frustration and hate levels in today's dating LOL.

But yeah I'd rather I'd get hounded/harassed etc on my mobile phone than my landline ( home telephone ) as others will know your business ( assuming you are living with someone )

Old 06-30-2016, 01:17 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefrijole71 View Post

People just give their numbers out now and ignore you. They do not answer and never respond to texts. Numbers mean nothing

Old 06-30-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
People just give their numbers out now and ignore you. They do not answer and never respond to texts. Numbers mean nothing
Not all

Old 06-30-2016, 03:02 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
I read this book in the mid 90s and was influential on my thought process of which parts of social media and the online world were useful, and which were useless:

Resisting the Virtual Life: The Culture and Politics of Information
https://www.amazon.com/Resisting-Vir.../dp/0872862992

the problem today, is that any 'potential date' I express interest in - has too many options. Facebook, snapchat, okcupid, coffee meets bagel, tinder, Burner Phones, blah blah. There is no reason to stop and notice me and stickwitchu, because there are literally 50+ other potential applicants who fill their ear with a buzz of interest, if you just wait a week/month or two.

on the flip side, technology has increased the 'geographic range' of who you can meet and date. Outside of your job or social clubs there are FEW REASONS you'd run into someone and form an enduring relationship with someone who lives 50 or 100+ miles away.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:13 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
My grand parents were married for 60 years.. They seemed to have been able to communicate without high tech and social media so....

Old 06-30-2016, 03:53 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I got a roasting from my dad years ago..... As we had such a phone with no number ID I had problems with a girl ( about 16ish I was ).... My dad answered with a polite " hello " ...... He got a " FO!! YOU %^%%^ why have you been ignoring me? You %#^!. ".......... ( thinking it was me ........ ( LMAO ) )
Oh my goodness, LOL!!!

Old 06-30-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh my goodness, LOL!!!
Yeah mum was my secretary and dad handled the crap........

Old 06-30-2016, 04:52 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
I think every generation is going to feel some type of way about the other....

In the end we are just people who make our own choices.

Social media has little to do with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships