Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 01:44 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
So what's the problem?

If you don't agree with them just tell her and if she has any respect for you then she won't mention it again
But it doesn't just affect him, LC. She's carrying his baby too and we can assume she will try raising it with her beliefs, which OP doesn't share. That's a huge parenting issue and that is why I would never seriously date someone who's way conservative (I'm center-left) because I don't see much of a future there. I would never even go on a first date with someone who's actually anti-gay or anti-transgender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 02:13 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
But it doesn't just affect him, LC. She's carrying his baby too and we can assume she will try raising it with her beliefs, which OP doesn't share. That's a huge parenting issue and that is why I would never seriously date someone who's way conservative (I'm center-left) because I don't see much of a future there. I would never even go on a first date with someone who's actually anti-gay or anti-transgender.
I've actually been thinking of this my love and yeah I think my posts have come across as this should be just simply shrugged off..... Without thinking it might be a deeper, stronger hatred that she has instead of a slight dislike which is obviously much stronger and scarier for the OP.

Forgive my lax approach and lack of thinking..... I'm usually a lot mote thoughtful and poised but not with it at the moment it seems! LOL

I'd love to know if she realises it's wrong and potentially damaging?.... For example I've got a mate that was brought up to hate the Irish ( silly I know but his dad had his problems we shall say ) and yes he's still partly got these views but he now realises he's wrong and thankfully over the years he's gradually looking past them

So in other words he has kids and doesn't raise them the way he was if you see what I mean?

Hopefully it won't come to this with the said baby.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:57 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I've actually been thinking of this my love and yeah I think my posts have come across as this should be just simply shrugged off..... Without thinking it might be a deeper, stronger hatred that she has instead of a slight dislike which is obviously much stronger and scarier for the OP.

Forgive my lax approach and lack of thinking..... I'm usually a lot mote thoughtful and poised but not with it at the moment it seems! LOL

I'd love to know if she realises it's wrong and potentially damaging?.... For example I've got a mate that was brought up to hate the Irish ( silly I know but his dad had his problems we shall say ) and yes he's still partly got these views but he now realises he's wrong and thankfully over the years he's gradually looking past them

So in other words he has kids and doesn't raise them the way he was if you see what I mean?

Hopefully it won't come to this with the said baby.
You don't need to apologize! I was just pointing out that with the kid, it becomes a totally different situation. I'm thinking if she hasn't brought up her viewpoints before, but is now, then that means she's thinking about what "values" she wants taught to her child, and that's why she's discussing them. So the OP should be very concerned.

Anti-Irish? That must be a more common sentiment in the UK than here nowadays, because I've never known anyone who was. Maybe because we have so many Irish-Americans

Old 07-01-2016, 03:02 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
You don't need to apologize! I was just pointing out that with the kid, it becomes a totally different situation. I'm thinking if she hasn't brought up her viewpoints before, but is now, then that means she's thinking about what "values" she wants taught to her child, and that's why she's discussing them. So the OP should be very concerned.

Anti-Irish? That must be a more common sentiment in the UK than here nowadays, because I've never known anyone who was. Maybe because we have so many Irish-Americans
Yeah I'd usually twig it and catch on a bit quicker hence the Apology LOL

Yeah again it's a scary thought.

It's not widespread here at all if honest but it's bloody ironic as well as we have the biggest Irish community right next to us around the corner LMAO!!!

A proper moment

Old 07-01-2016, 03:30 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
I am a conservative in the dictionary definition of the word,someone who adores tradition.
And I have never had a problem with gays,esp gay marriage which I think is perfectly natural.
I differ because my traditional values are based on the pagan or ancient whereas most are based in Christianity.
You cannot change her deeply held beliefs her befriending gay people would probably help a little but I doubt she will do that.
Not a good idea to marry her if your beliefs are opposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehighrockies View Post
OP, you can look at Dick Cheney, who is as die hard as a conservative you can find. He has a gay daughter and he accepted her. His other daughter , on the other hand, is anti-gay. So, go figure.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:07 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times
Well you got yourself this far, figure it out. You liked her enough to knock her up. That must count for something.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:01 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Move on.
Did you not read the part about her being pregnant? With all the available birth control out there I can't believe women still have these "unplanned" pregnancies. I know four ladies under 32. All of them have children with no daddy in the picture, two of them have multiple baby daddies.

OP - your girlfriend obviously had premarital sex which is also a "sin" if she is a Bible believer. She can't just pick and choose which sins are okay and which ones aren't. I feel sorry for this child and all the children today growing up in dysfunctional families. Because I don't think you two will be together "till death do you part" married or not.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:04 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinappin View Post
Funny you should ask that. She is pro-life and doesn't believe in abortion except in extreme circumstances such as rape or the mothers life is at risk.

She obviously doesn't believe in reliable birth control either.....

Old 07-04-2016, 11:00 PM

26 posts, read 18,344 times
dude...are you undercover bisexual or something? if you are,you need to take your baby and RUN.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:04 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinappin View Post
Not sure how best to say this. My girlfriend and I have been in a relationship for a little over a year. She is really great and fun to be around and we have lots of fun. She is currently two months pregnant. Not planned but I am more than willing to accept it and take care of our new child.

The issue is she has some views that bother me. She has made comments in the past about how she as she has said in her own words "the gay community is gross" and "I would never accept any kid I have if they were gay". She has also stated that she views such people as mentally ill and has very traditional views. I asked her before what she thinks of transgender people and she has said she doesn't care what anyone says you are either male or female.

I realize this may seem ridiculous to worry about but now that she is pregnant I wonder if you think she could likely change her mind in the off chance our child is gay or what have you and not really worth worrying over.

Nothing to worry about.

I'm sure if she had a gay kid she wouldn't think that way. Stop overthinking menial, stupid things. You're going to have a kid. Come on.

So she doesn't like gays, big effin deal man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships