Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 06:08 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

Why are you abandoning your long-kept rule for a woman who, unless drunk, treats you like crap?

If you think there are issues with a romantic relationship at work, you just wait and see what happens with a FWB! Those usually work for a month or two, then it all unravels but with the added issue that they THOUGHT it would end up being more. You're crazy to get involved sexually not only with a coworker but with someone basically on your team that you compete with. Many ways to backfire and the chances of it working for more than a month? Nil. Is one month of sex worth it? If so, you are really hard up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 06:23 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Stick with your rule on dating. This chick could very well be looking to learn something on you to get rid of you or she could be egging you on and then she'll run to HR and file a sexual harassment suit on you and get rid of you that way. I would assume by her actions that she doesn't like you and may be looking for some way to get rid of you. Be very careful. Don't be so naive that people don't do these things, they certainly do. Not only that, its very unusual for someone to, based on their first impression hate you, and then later falling in love with you. I've never even heard of it happening.

Lastly, she could just be crazy. My wife complains about this kind of stuff in dealing with other women. One day they act like you're their best friend, then next time you see them, you don't even exist. Its manipulation. Stay away from this chick. Sounds very unstable.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:35 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
I work for a very large company and am at their main headquarters. It's set up like a campus with a series of buildings, some of which I never go to. I have dated a coworker. It was fine for me as he was in a different building and we never saw each other during the day. (Except for the occasional lunch). I won't run the risk of bumping into him or have to awkwardly still work with him, see him in meetings, etc.

OP, your case is different. You see this person all-the-time. DROP IT. Don't go there.
You could actually be setting yourself up for sexual harassment if she runs to HR saying you are making her feel uncomfortable.
Now, GET BACK TO WORK.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:39 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Never date a coworker because it will be awkward when you break up.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:56 PM

65 posts, read 70,014 times
Thanks guys! I'll keep this in mind and will definitely stay far away from this one. Good thing I haven't hit or approached her in a flirty way. I'll just continue to focus on what I'm there for and that's it.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
So, you think she wants some full blown office romance after having a couple drinks at a party?

In respects to dating coworkers....

Are you the type that can keep all past lovers (girlfriends/fwb/f buddies, etc) as true friends in your life? If yes, you can possibly date coworkers without much drama interfering with your work.

That's the thing I would much rather not be around a person that I once dated as... well it can be problematic.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:24 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacui View Post
Thanks guys! I'll keep this in mind and will definitely stay far away from this one. Good thing I haven't hit or approached her in a flirty way. I'll just continue to focus on what I'm there for and that's it.
That's good because she was never into you in the first place

Old 07-10-2016, 04:55 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,739,487 times
Last year, I was involved in a very similar situation.

This guy at work liked me but he had a massive ego and for some reason, I was always defensive around him. I liked him and was very attracted, but I couldn't bring myself to be "relaxed" around him. He just pushed my buttons for some odd reason. I was perfectly nice to other coworkers, but I was always tense around him. He didn't understand it and quite frankly, neither did I. We ended up bickering a few times because he made me nervous.

I think it was due to the fact I liked him and couldn't handle his inability to interact with me without his massive ego.

Also, I have strict policy not to hang out with coworkers after work and never to date someone I work with. It's a bad idea. He asked me to hang out with him after work and I declined each time. One day, I went a bit far when putting him in his place and he never spoke to me again. It became extremely awkward afterwards, especially as people felt the need to interfere and started rumors about how much of a meanie I was. I wasn't a meanie, I was acting professional. The workplace is not meant for speeding dating.

Moral of the story: Let it go and focus on your work. It won't lead to anything good and may actually affect your performance.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Last year, I was involved in a very similar situation.

This guy at work liked me but he had a massive ego and for some reason, I was always defensive around him. I liked him and was very attracted, but I couldn't bring myself to be "relaxed" around him. He just pushed my buttons for some odd reason. I was perfectly nice to other coworkers, but I was always tense around him. He didn't understand it and quite frankly, neither did I. We ended up bickering a few times because he made me nervous.

I think it was due to the fact I liked him and couldn't handle his inability to interact with me without his massive ego.

Also, I have strict policy not to hang out with coworkers after work and never to date someone I work with. It's a bad idea. He asked me to hang out with him after work and I declined each time. One day, I went a bit far when putting him in his place and he never spoke to me again. It became extremely awkward afterwards, especially as people felt the need to interfere and started rumors about how much of a meanie I was. I wasn't a meanie, I was acting professional. The workplace is not meant for speeding dating.

Moral of the story: Let it go and focus on your work. It won't lead to anything good and may actually affect your performance.

Haha it's funny you mention this as I also have a massive ego.. Maybe I too push her buttons for some unknown reasons.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:54 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Stick with your rule on dating. This chick could very well be looking to learn something on you to get rid of you or she could be egging you on and then she'll run to HR and file a sexual harassment suit on you and get rid of you that way. I would assume by her actions that she doesn't like you and may be looking for some way to get rid of you. Be very careful. Don't be so naive that people don't do these things, they certainly do. Not only that, its very unusual for someone to, based on their first impression hate you, and then later falling in love with you. I've never even heard of it happening.

Lastly, she could just be crazy. My wife complains about this kind of stuff in dealing with other women. One day they act like you're their best friend, then next time you see them, you don't even exist. Its manipulation. Stay away from this chick. Sounds very unstable.
Agree 100% with all of the above. The woman could easily be setting you up for a fall. I.e., if you ask her out she may use that against you. You already know she has an issue with you, so it doesn't make sense that she would suddenly turn around and act as if she likes you - unless she's got some ulterior motive for doing so.

In any case, I would be extremely careful around her.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 07-14-2016 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships