Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 02:21 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'm confused about the whole church issue. I'm not a church-goer, so perhaps someone else can educate me.

My view of church is you go, sit down on a bench, listen to the preacher/pastor/minister/priest, and leave.

Where is this social aspect?
Lots of large churches have singles groups. Members meet outside of church for various activities. Lots of churches of all sizes visit before and after services.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:48 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'm confused about the whole church issue. I'm not a church-goer, so perhaps someone else can educate me.

My view of church is you go, sit down on a bench, listen to the preacher/pastor/minister/priest, and leave.

Where is this social aspect?
There is a mixture in different church communities as they emphasize going to fellowship with your spiritual family versus going to receive teaching and/or supernatural graces from the church elders. Some people don't want to be bothered by others as they pray while others are there to see their friends before and after the lectures

Old 07-07-2016, 07:16 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Church works for a lot of people, gives them structure and a framework for how to live their lives, it also is a social circle as they're always having fundraisers and playing bingo and having potluck dinners and things of that ilk. Gives a lot of benefits for older seniors that might not have a lot going on.

I personally wouldn't think of cruising the church circuit in hope of bagging a babe, but heck, that's just me I guess.
If you'd been to Buckhead Church in Atlanta, you'd instantly change your mind! Thats where I'll be, if God willing, I can move back!

Old 07-11-2016, 06:11 AM

531 posts, read 384,006 times
Ive dated a church girl... Big mistake. And it probably was just the church that I went to, but the women there were not the type that you would want to have a relationship with. Good looking though.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:18 PM

733 posts, read 602,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue View Post
Ive dated a church girl... Big mistake. And it probably was just the church that I went to, but the women there were not the type that you would want to have a relationship with. Good looking though.
Could you elaborate? Thanks!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
There is a mixture in different church communities as they emphasize going to fellowship with your spiritual family versus going to receive teaching and/or supernatural graces from the church elders. Some people don't want to be bothered by others as they pray while others are there to see their friends before and after the lectures
This. Some churches actively foster fellowship.

Sadly, the only church/temple/whatever I ever attended that did offer fellowship after the service always ended up with the eligible batchelors lining one wall, while the women visited and chatted with each other throughout the room. The single women would try approaching the guys, as they were standing by the refreshments the whole time, but none of them reacted. So much for fellowship. :-/

Old 07-11-2016, 01:48 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. Some churches actively foster fellowship.

Sadly, the only church/temple/whatever I ever attended that did offer fellowship after the service always ended up with the eligible batchelors lining one wall, while the women visited and chatted with each other throughout the room. The single women would try approaching the guys, as they were standing by the refreshments the whole time, but none of them reacted. So much for fellowship. :-/
While going to college in the USA I was invited to one. I thought it was alright. They had different social activities here and there. Not my type for a relationship as Christians can be quite traditional about gender roles which is not really my cup of tea. Other than that, I think they do lots of good things in the community and the things they talk about are good.

For any guy wanting to go to a church for a hookup, go somewhere else. If you end up getting interested in one girl that really follows her religion whole heartedly sooner or later you will be complaining as to why they are so uptight about certain issues (drinking, smoking, not having sex, not taking initiative, etc.) and how they don’t loosen up a bit to have fun with you. That would be as bad as them trying force religion down your throat or complaining because a vegetarian you are dating doesn’t eat meat.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:52 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
For any guy wanting to go to a church for a hookup, go somewhere else. If you end up getting interested in one girl that really follows her religion whole heartedly sooner or later you will be complaining as to why they are so uptight about certain issues (drinking, smoking, not having sex, not taking initiative, etc.) and how they don’t loosen up a bit to have fun with you. That would be as bad as them trying force religion down your throat or complaining because a vegetarian you are dating doesn’t eat meat.
Ah stereotypes. Especially pathetic when they are couched as "truth".

Old 07-12-2016, 10:38 AM

733 posts, read 602,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
While going to college in the USA I was invited to one. I thought it was alright. They had different social activities here and there. Not my type for a relationship as Christians can be quite traditional about gender roles which is not really my cup of tea. Other than that, I think they do lots of good things in the community and the things they talk about are good.

As far as I know, Christians do not practice abstinence from sex. Personally I don't drink alcohol and I never smoke. The Mormons, however, are not very compatible with me. I drink tea and coffee regularly .

Old 07-12-2016, 10:50 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
As far as I know, Christians do not practice abstinence from sex. Personally I don't drink alcohol and I never smoke. The Mormons, however, are not very compatible with me. I drink tea and coffee regularly .

There are lots of different denominations of Christians. We are not all the same.

This thread is an embarrassing mix of misinformation, prejudice, and conjecture, with some attempts by people who want to share the truth. "As far as you know..." is not very far. You don't know enough about this to talk about it, and don't appear to really want to learn about it for theology's sake.

Just move on to another idea, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships