Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 04:19 PM

9 posts, read 5,981 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I have been dating 5 months. We get along fine but she has a drinking problem. She came by my place last night really drunk I let her in and took away her keys and she was really out of it. Anyway I got her some food and water but shortly after she ended up puking all over herself and the floor.

I tried to help her and she in her drunken state tried to clean herself up but it just made things worse so finally I said she should take a shower she drunkenly agreed but I had to take her to the shower and she couldn't get her clothes off so I took off her clothes and put them in the washer then went back helped her and after she got out I helped her put on a spare shirt and some shorts and put her in my bed, I slept on my couch.

Well later after she woke up she asked why she was wearing different clothes. I explained what happened and she told me she remembers coming to my place but nothing after that. By this point her clothes were washed and dry but she got really upset saying I had no right to do that. I explained she was covered in vomit and was just doing what I thought was best. I told her there was nothing nefarious with what I did but under the circumstances I felt it was the best thing.

And I have known she drinks but she has never done anything like this before. I was just trying to help but was I wrong her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 04:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,998,391 times
You help her, possibly save her life and others by taking her car keys, clean up her puke and her and yet she treats you with suspicion and anger? The Universe is trying to tell you something. Listen to it. You can do better than her.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:39 PM

61,428 posts, read 86,506,480 times
You didn't nothing wrong! Your GF is a drunk, and getting progressively worse.
What I would do is get her to a facility where she can get help. If she agrees, there is a hope. If not - find you someone without addiction, because it will not get any better, just worse.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:50 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,360,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahnee View Post
My girlfriend and I have been dating 5 months. We get along fine but she has a drinking problem. She came by my place last night really drunk I let her in and took away her keys and she was really out of it. Anyway I got her some food and water but shortly after she ended up puking all over herself and the floor.

I tried to help her and she in her drunken state tried to clean herself up but it just made things worse so finally I said she should take a shower she drunkenly agreed but I had to take her to the shower and she couldn't get her clothes off so I took off her clothes and put them in the washer then went back helped her and after she got out I helped her put on a spare shirt and some shorts and put her in my bed, I slept on my couch.

Well later after she woke up she asked why she was wearing different clothes. I explained what happened and she told me she remembers coming to my place but nothing after that. By this point her clothes were washed and dry but she got really upset saying I had no right to do that. I explained she was covered in vomit and was just doing what I thought was best. I told her there was nothing nefarious with what I did but under the circumstances I felt it was the best thing.

And I have known she drinks but she has never done anything like this before. I was just trying to help but was I wrong her?
Do YOU know anyone who is family or other relationship with her? I ask that..as SHE obviously has a "DENIAL PROBLEM".. Don't let her problem bring you down..YOU did all the right things..but for some odd reason wishes to blame you for her situation!1

Just try and open her eyes..but IF she wants to remain blindfolded..by altering close friends..just may help her in the end..in the meanwhile..suggest she get some help..

Most in need often refuse to accept their own responsibility..IF you enable it..You too will become the problem....There are a lot of redlines in many relationships..THIS IS ONE OF THEM!!

While she may ( when sober) be a wonderful person..BUT enabling this behaviour is hurtful for not JUST YOURSELF but HER as well...DRAW the line!! Which means..You will not be blamed for her issue..do/did like her..BUT unwilling to enable her self-destructive nature!!

Good Luck!!

Old 07-04-2016, 04:55 PM

52,011 posts, read 52,457,444 times
No good deed goes unpunished.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:57 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,406,209 times
In your place, I would make this lady an ex-girlfriend as speedily as possible. If you really like her, tell her if she can stay off the booze for 6 months you'll consider another try, but I'd never tolerate this kind of stuff. Nobody needs trouble in this form.

Oh, to answer the original question, I think you did exactly the right thing. But it should be for the last time.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:03 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,111,571 times
Kick her to the curb. Sorry if that sounds mean, but after the experience I had with being in a relationship with an alcoholic, there's no way I'd allow this to continue if I were in your shoes. You literally couldn't pay me to go through that again.

You need to realize that this situation will not improve. It will only continue to get worse. She has a serious problem and you can't fix this. Until she hits rock bottom, she will never fix her problem on her own and you can't make her get there any faster.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:07 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Dating 5 months.

Is this the first time you've taken her clothes off? I mean, if you two have had sex, I don't see why she would care.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:13 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,288,275 times
You did the humane thing. If she doesn't see that, the problem is bigger than her drunkenness on a single night.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:13 PM

29,474 posts, read 22,487,125 times
move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships