Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 02:34 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times

Advertisements

Don't tell me to be myself because that never works! He's very smart, he attended a prestigious university, he speaks multiple languages, he's lived in several different countries. I plan to spend the majority of our date just discussing his life so I don't have to say too much about mine. But I know I'm going to have to say something! Should I read some world news articles or a book or something before I meet him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 02:38 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Sweet, you of all people should know this: pretending never works. Not for long anyway.

When he finds out that the woman you were pretending to be, isn't the real you, what are you going to do then?

You shouldn't be so insecure. If he doesn't like you for you, then there is no point.

You know better.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Sweet, you of all people should know this: pretending never works. Not for long anyway.

When he finds out that the woman you were pretending to be, isn't the real you, what are you going to do then?

You shouldn't be so insecure. If he doesn't like you for you, then there is no point.

You know better.
I know things won't work in the long run if we just aren't compatible, but I would at least like to make a good impression when we meet.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:46 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Acting, pretending to be something else instead of being your self is formula for failure. If it doesn't work, wouldn't it be better to know it wasn't something you pretended to know or be that was the cause of things not working out?

Old 07-06-2016, 02:54 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Don't tell me to be myself because that never works! He's very smart, he attended a prestigious university, he speaks multiple languages, he's lived in several different countries. I plan to spend the majority of our date just discussing his life so I don't have to say too much about mine. But I know I'm going to have to say something! Should I read some world news articles or a book or something before I meet him?
I'm sure the topic of yourself will pop up LOL!, but honestly don't worry he's already decided he wants to meet you and that's CLEARLY for a reason, So you already have " one foot in the door " so to speak

If you just talk about him ( I'm sure that's in jest by your good self but just in case ) it will appear one sided and then YOU WILL come across as not very interesting .

If I were you I'd talk about where you live, what's your job like, any plans and ambitions you have, funny stories ( date or normal ) etc etc.... Just basic stuff that comes naturally..... I know the urge to impress someone and well yeah make a good impression but I can't begin to tell you how refreshing and enticing it is to have just a normal free flowing conversation with someone is........

Believe me quoting things you've read ( that you normally wouldn't ) and well in short not being yourself will be a hard act to keep up and you WILL get found out and I'm sure that WOULD be the end before it's really started.

Sugar If you're able to keep a conversation going with an added laugh or two and genuinely look like your interested in both him and what he says then you'll come across as wonderful and that WILL keep him interested im sure

Best of luck

Old 07-06-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Acting, pretending to be something else instead of being your self is formula for failure. If it doesn't work, wouldn't it be better to know it wasn't something you pretended to know or be that was the cause of things not working out?
I just want to be a more interesting date. I'm going to watch CNN for a few hours and maybe that will give me some conversation ideas.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
This is the plot of so many bad TV shows.

You can't impress him because he's probably been around every kind of tryhard there is.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This is the plot of so many bad TV shows.

You can't impress him because he's probably been around every kind of tryhard there is.
So what do I do? Honestly, he doesn't seem that smart over text but he has to be considering his background.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:01 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
I just want to be a more interesting date. I'm going to watch CNN for a few hours and maybe that will give me some conversation ideas.
All this might do is make you look more like a dummy than you actually are.
If you are really interested in what somebody else is saying or talking about, then you look good.
If it's fake, it shows up.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:03 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
So what do I do? Honestly, he doesn't seem that smart over text but he has to be considering his background.
There's book smart and street smart.....

Two complete differences.

I've no idea if he's either LOL and obviously most can and are both, but just that a well educated person may be super intelligent on paper it doesn't automatically mean they will be in person with other people if you see what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships