Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:41 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times

Advertisements

OP personally I push the boat out for an SOs birthday/xmas etc, however it's a great gift apparently coming from the ladies ^^^^ so what do I know

Disregard my posts mate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 04:41 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogpotch View Post
We have been together a year and she loves to shop at VS so for her birthday I got her a $100 gift card to it and offered to take her up there and she could shop then get some food. But she got really upset and said I was "thoughtless". I don't understand why she is so upset. I got a gift card to somewhere I know she likes, and I was thinking of her about what she would like.
I would have snatched that gift card from her hand and dumped her on the spot. $100 is no drop in the bucket for anyone these days and crapping on your gift in front of you shows a complete lack of class. Do you need that in your life?

Old 07-06-2016, 04:45 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
We have been together a year and she loves to shop at VS so for her birthday I got her a $100 gift card to it and offered to take her up there and she could shop then get some food. But she got really upset and said I was "thoughtless". I don't understand why she is so upset. I got a gift card to somewhere I know she likes, and I was thinking of her about what she would like.
Use this as an opportunity to learn about her and her character, as well as her ability to communicate.

Ask her what it was about the gift that made her think it was thoughtless. Ask her what she thinks a more appropriate gift would be.

Also, what kinds of gifts does she give you for special occasions?

Come back here and tell us what she said. We can then tell you whether or not you need to launch her.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:08 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,411 times
Quote:
I think the better option would have been to get her something small from there you picked out yourself, or maybe another gift from another store like a pocketbook in the brand she likes, and then added the gift card inside. Sometimes half of the thrill is in unwrapping, just like how that is the whole point of VS in the first place.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:19 PM

212 posts, read 195,271 times
A few quick possibilities sprang to mind:

1. She is upset because she suspects that your motives are not to indulge her wants/desires, but your own. Towards the end of my relationships, I used to feel this way towards the boyfriend. If I'm being honest, it was more a symptom of the disintegration of our relationship, as opposed to the cause. I am not saying this is what is happening here. Just stating my experience.
2. She expects more than just $100 for her birthday. Unless, OP, you gave her the card in addition to other gifts?
3. She is highly entitled, felt it was less than she deserved and she is high-maintenance.
4. She doesn't want a gift card, but a carefully considered gift.

Side note: $100 is plenty for Victoria's Secret in my mind, but I'm an independent, simple gal. I'd buy one of those cotton nighties and their scented fragrance. Done deal!

Old 07-06-2016, 05:22 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I would have snatched that gift card from her hand and dumped her on the spot. $100 is no drop in the bucket for anyone these days and crapping on your gift in front of you shows a complete lack of class. Do you need that in your life?
Yes, it is bad form to complain about any kind of gift especially a romantic one. At least he didn't get her an electric screwdriver. I got that once. That is how the relationship died. He used to get me VS and pretty things like earrings and I would get him guy things for his man cave that I knew he wanted, make his favorite meal, and then put on the VS for dessert (see how in giving we receive?). Then he started getting me things like a toaster. And then he got me that. I told him he could have at least gotten me a good attachment for the screwdriver so I could have fun with it because HE certainly wasn't going to be getting any fun that night.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:33 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Yea, $100 at Victoria secret isn't that much. She can probably only get a pair of their cheapest nylons.
Nah its not bad. She can get 5 cotton, lacy and satin undies for 25 dollars on their sales. You can get a nice perfume 50- 90 dollars, lip glosses, bags, robes. A bra cost anywhere 35-up. So they are pricey.

I think the op's lady might like that as a personal endeavor not flaunt her sexy side.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:42 PM

53 posts, read 77,872 times
The only issue I see is that gift cards are not very thoughtful which is why I never give them as gifts. I prefer to buy actual items that I think suits the recipient and include a gift receipt.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
There was some comedian who was like...

When I get a gift card, it's like someone saying, "Here. Here's a chore for you. Go buy your own present."

Old 07-06-2016, 05:58 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There was some comedian who was like...

When I get a gift card, it's like someone saying, "Here. Here's a chore for you. Go buy your own present."
Ha, I can see that. Me, I love gift cards because it's nice to have when I feel like shopping but also don't want to spend money. It's a nice treat. Send that drawerful my way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships