Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 09:57 AM

521 posts, read 292,347 times

Advertisements

sorry OP, it is not a good gift idea really.. anyway she shouldn't make a big deal out of it

take her to an expensive restaurant for dinner and make it up for her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 03:12 PM

678 posts, read 1,064,476 times
Maybe I'll get flak for this but this is more of her problem than it is yours. She needs to get over it. You were thoughtful enough to get her a gift and she needs to be thankful for that even if it's something that she didn't want or feels she doesn't need. If you've explained to her that you bought her this gift card because she shops there and she can get whatever she wants; not because you want her to buy something sexy to wear for you then you've done your part.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogpotch View Post
We have been together a year and she loves to shop at VS so for her birthday I got her a $100 gift card to it and offered to take her up there and she could shop then get some food. But she got really upset and said I was "thoughtless". I don't understand why she is so upset. I got a gift card to somewhere I know she likes, and I was thinking of her about what she would like.
Hey you could tell her I can turn it in for a gift card to Lane Bryant if it will make her feel better.

Lol you sure you were thinking about what she likes?

Old 07-09-2016, 04:47 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,517,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Hey you could tell her I can turn it in for a gift card to Lane Bryant if it will make her feel better.

Lol you sure you were thinking about what she likes?
What in a lingerie shop??...... Nah it's all for her mate .... LOL

Old 07-09-2016, 04:54 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,092,135 times
I would love to get a VS gift card!

And I would love to show the bearer of such a gift my appreciation...

If you want to p*ss me off, however; buy me a vacuum & put a bow on it (but only if it's my birthday,

valentines day or an anniversary...I'd be happy with a vacuum for Christmas because those darn things are

getting expensive)!

Old 07-09-2016, 05:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,464,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogpotch View Post
We have been together a year and she loves to shop at VS so for her birthday I got her a $100 gift card to it and offered to take her up there and she could shop then get some food. But she got really upset and said I was "thoughtless". I don't understand why she is so upset. I got a gift card to somewhere I know she likes, and I was thinking of her about what she would like.
Maybe she wanted something else.

[ask her]

Old 07-09-2016, 05:13 PM

22,445 posts, read 11,969,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep, gift cards are polarizing. As you can see, some prefer them. My SIL prefers them, because she has very particular tastes. As long as ive known her, id rather get her a token gift card when a gift is called for than spend the time and energy carefully selecting something I know will get garage saled still in the box or regifted.

As noted, some see gift cards as thoughtless or a copout, a quick and easy way to shop for somebody you don't really know well enough to justify taking the time to select a meaningful gift. Could be she's one of these people. I personally don't mind gift cards, but find them more appropriate as gifts for casual or more peripheral acquaintances (like a thank you gift or something for some work-related "appreciation day," or something) than people one has a close personal relationship with for a bigger deal event.

That said, it's okay to be disappointed by a gift. It's ungrateful to express that disappointment to the giver. Whether the gift is your cup of tea or not, nobody HAD to get you anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaraz View Post
Maybe I'll get flak for this but this is more of her problem than it is yours. She needs to get over it. You were thoughtful enough to get her a gift and she needs to be thankful for that even if it's something that she didn't want or feels she doesn't need. If you've explained to her that you bought her this gift card because she shops there and she can get whatever she wants; not because you want her to buy something sexy to wear for you then you've done your part.
Per the bolded---I agree.

I don't mind getting gift cards. That way I can get exactly what I want. Besides, I always appreciate it when someone thinks of me on my birthday and at Christmas time. Even if they give me a gift that I have no use for, I still appreciate it and thank them for thinking of me.

We give our daughter gift cards for stores where she likes to buy clothing---and she is very happy to receive them. In fact, once she gets them, she wastes no time getting to the store to shop.

IMO, the OP's gf sounds like a spoiled, entitled brat.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:23 PM

762 posts, read 610,443 times
I sort of get what she meant lol. I had a boyfriend once get me real sexual explicit things for my birthday. I got angry at him and said a card and flowers from the grocery store would have been better. Hell yeah I said it.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:27 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,517,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
I sort of get what she meant lol. I had a boyfriend once get me real sexual explicit things for my birthday. I got angry at him and said a card and flowers from the grocery store would have been better. Hell yeah I said it.
Lmao!... I would have bought him a rampant rabbit or a strap on for his next birthday......

Think he'd get the message then

Old 07-09-2016, 07:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
What in a lingerie shop??...... Nah it's all for her mate .... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I would love to get a VS gift card!

And I would love to show the bearer of such a gift my appreciation...

If you want to p*ss me off, however; buy me a vacuum & put a bow on it (but only if it's my birthday,

valentines day or an anniversary...I'd be happy with a vacuum for Christmas because those darn things are

getting expensive)!
Well what if he makes you go to VS and get something then make you vacuum the house wearing it. You down with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships