Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 09:33 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,023,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
No.
This girl told me a guy she met off POF came to her house and ate all her food and didn't want to leave. I am 100% sure she found him attractive to invite him to her house on a first date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 06:20 AM

5,291 posts, read 5,217,330 times
I bet there was no second date.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:34 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,842,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Stereo View Post
Sure thing.

1)29
2)NYC
3) Depends on the neighborhood and how far down to the barrel you're willing to race, but from what I've gathered (from friends, co-workers,researching etc): $800-$1K/month is the bare mininum for a room in a shared apartment.
4) It fluctuates, as I'm paid hourly and miss out on pay during holidays and closures (like July 4th for example). Last month I netted just shy over $1,500...(there I go w the "dot dot dot" again) and last month was one of the better ones. :/
You might have to pick up and move. I graduated, wanted to work in the non profit environmental field, it pays crud and I was living in a high COS place (Boston). I packed a dufflebag and moved to a lower cost of living place (Wisconsin) and started volunteering in non profits by day and working cruddy customer service gigs at night. I couldn't never have gotten a start staying in a high COL area.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 18,124,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You might have to pick up and move. I graduated, wanted to work in the non profit environmental field, it pays crud and I was living in a high COS place (Boston). I packed a dufflebag and moved to a lower cost of living place (Wisconsin) and started volunteering in non profits by day and working cruddy customer service gigs at night. I couldn't never have gotten a start staying in a high COL area.
The OP is living at home and earning entry level unskilled service sector pay. Without job skills and some work ethic, if they moved to a low COL region, they'd be homeless while working that entry level service sector job.

Any woman even remotely looking for a long term relationship isn't going to opt for a second date with someone like that. The OP needs to get their career launched instead of marking time in low wage service sector jobs. Once they have job skills and a track record, they can think about moving to a lower cost of living part of the country.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The OP is living at home and earning entry level unskilled service sector pay. Without job skills and some work ethic, if they moved to a low COL region, they'd be homeless while working that entry level service sector job.

Any woman even remotely looking for a long term relationship isn't going to opt for a second date with someone like that. The OP needs to get their career launched instead of marking time in low wage service sector jobs. Once they have job skills and a track record, they can think about moving to a lower cost of living part of the country.

I was living at home after undergrad and working at a ice cream shop and a bookstore, and volunteering, applying for job after job while living in Boston and getting nowhere. It's easy to say "get your career launched" when you can't get a job in your career. It's not that simple.

Moving to a lower COL area with a decent economy (I picked Madison WI) made it easier to volunteer and intern more in order to get one's career launched. And by not having a safety net / family to fall back on I had no choice but to make it work, it's amazing how that can be a motivator.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 18,124,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I was living at home after undergrad and working at a ice cream shop and a bookstore, and volunteering, applying for job after job while living in Boston and getting nowhere. It's easy to say "get your career launched" when you can't get a job in your career. It's not that simple.

Moving to a lower COL area with a decent economy (I picked Madison WI) made it easier to volunteer and intern more in order to get one's career launched. And by not having a safety net / family to fall back on I had no choice but to make it work, it's amazing how that can be a motivator.
If you've never had a job beyond entry level service sector work, there's no such thing as "get a job in your career". An undergrad degree from a 4th tier school with meh grades and no subjects any employer would care about lands you in the service sector unless you do something about it. There are countless jobs in metro-NYC that pay well but they pay well because nobody wants to do them. Or you can work that easy entry level service sector job indoors in heated/air conditioned space for the rest of your life.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you've never had a job beyond entry level service sector work, there's no such thing as "get a job in your career". An undergrad degree from a 4th tier school with meh grades and no subjects any employer would care about lands you in the service sector unless you do something about it. There are countless jobs in metro-NYC that pay well but they pay well because nobody wants to do them. Or you can work that easy entry level service sector job indoors in heated/air conditioned space for the rest of your life.
Of course there is. That's absolutely what I did. I had a chosen career path, I kept working it until I got my first professional job in it, which I did while volunteering and doing internships in the field I wanted to work in that built upon my undergrad degree, which was in the field I wanted to (and do) work in. What I'm talking about is "doing something about it", and that is what I'm saying the OP should do.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:40 AM

15,053 posts, read 10,045,925 times
Sure... moving is a favorable option for the OP. I agree.

I work with people with a total household income of $200k+ a year and living in Manhattan. I also have friends living in NYC area (not Manhattan) that are on welfare (which is actually quite generous in NYC). Here's the thing.. both groups complain about the COL in NYC.

A change in dating pool may also be a good thing for a young single person. Actually leaving the parent's home and learning to be self sustaining is a good thing. (God knows how much I'd like to kick my 28 year old freeloading brother out of my now retired parent's home).

Either way, a strong work ethic is the key missing component here.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:53 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Based on the OP's past threads, I'd say it's something more besides his living situation that is turning off these girls.

Women can smell desperation, loneliness, and a guy being 'off' more than some guys give them credit for.

So what if a guy lives at home. That hasn't stopped some of my co-workers in their late 20's from having girlfriends and they still live with their family (they rent out a room).
Yeah... my eldest lives at home (he's mid-20s), rents a floor in our house (3rd floor is like a studio apt, basically) and pays rent. He's debating a return to college, but he's still planning to work full-time while he's in because his current employer offers tuition reimbursement. Eh. He's finding himself and we have the room.

But, he does make more than than double what the OP makes (on one of the OP's good months) and we live in a FAR lower COL area. He is capable of moving out and affording to do so, if he chooses.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:57 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
My advice: Do the freelance/temp work anyway. It will beef up your resume, potential contacts for new FT jobs, and you'll be able to tell your dates that you work full time. It will be worth the tax hit, IMO.
Agreed. Especially since OP is home with his parents and can afford the tax hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships