Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 06:15 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times

Advertisements

In some cultures it's not appropriate for women to make eye contact with men.

As I've mentioned before I can be a bit flirtatious by nature & made the huge mistake of disregarding my mothers advise on this topic:

When I was 14 my parents took my sister & I on a road trip from Colorado to Mazatlan, Mexico.

I was told not to "act like you do here; down there" & specifically NOT to make eye contact with men.

Which I thought was ridiculous.

So, the first thing I did when we got to our hotel was to give the bellboy a big smile...

I was the first one to get to our rooms. I walked in & was suddenly ambushed by the bellboy who plastered me up

against the wall & plastered his lips onto mine!

I barely had fought him off of me by the time my father walked in... a very, very close call!

Old 07-09-2016, 06:31 PM

52,200 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

As I've mentioned before I can be a bit flirtatious by nature & made the huge mistake of disregarding my mothers advise on this topic:

When I was 14 my parents took my sister & I on a road trip from Colorado to Mazatlan, Mexico.

I was told not to "act like you do here; down there" & specifically NOT to make eye contact with men.

So, the first thing I did when we got to our hotel was to give the bellboy a big smile...

I was the first one to get to our rooms. I walked in & was suddenly ambushed by the bellboy who plastered me up

I barely had fought him off of me by the time my father walked in... a very, very close call!

It's like that in a lot of the world, Italy is the same way, it's common for men to outright sexually harass women there. LOL, you can't make this stuff up.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:35 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's like that in a lot of the world, Italy is the same way, it's common for men to outright sexually harass women there. LOL, you can't make this stuff up.
Yeah my ex was an Italian and she said she got bombarded back home and said the blokes were relentless with the charm, chat up lines etc.

It certainly made my job harder and put my charm to the test in asking her out!!!!

Old 07-09-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yeah my ex was an Italian and she said she got bombarded back home and said the blokes were relentless with the charm, chat up lines etc.

It certainly made my job harder and put my charm to the test in asking her out!!!!

Well, from what I hear some of those guys were a few notches past "charm" to the point of what Americans would call sexual harassment. I don't know for sure, just from what I've heard over the years. Not to disparage our Italian friends here.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:08 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well, from what I hear some of those guys were a few notches past "charm" to the point of what Americans would call sexual harassment. I don't know for sure, just from what I've heard over the years. Not to disparage our Italian friends here.
Oh not physical but persistent to the point ( from what I was told ) here in the U.K. Them blokes would get a well deserved " knee in the bollox! " LOL

Brit girls love the charm, banter, chase etc but don't put up with all that bleep and rightly so

Old 07-09-2016, 07:12 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Actually it does make sense. If a woman is paying attention to everyone but you and is actively avoiding eye contact even though you are attractive, it's because she is actually more interested in you than others in the room/area.
This is true. Women just dont make it easy do they.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Quote:

Holy crap! What's wrong with some of these men?

Old 07-09-2016, 08:37 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Holy crap! What's wrong with some of these men?
Lol!

Old 07-09-2016, 08:51 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

Wow! I've never heard this. Good to know!

Old 07-09-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow! I've never heard this. Good to know!

LOL, really? You've never heard of this before? LOL... I thought it was common knowledge, it's one of the first things you do when going to another country is to figure out the whole "when in Rome" thing and to get a basic understanding of cultural differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships