Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 07:42 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Even with high percentage matches, there may be even just one very important difference that matters.
For instance, I smoke and one of the questions on OKC, gives the option of picking the answer "Smoking is disgusting"
You gotta know I'm not going to bother contacting that person no matter how well we 'fit' otherwise.
A non-smoker will rarely date a smoker, because to a non-smoker smoking is indeed disgusting!
But this is put already in the demographics, or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep, actually critically reading a profile (provided they've written anything of substance) is key.
Not everybody puts his heart and soul into an online profile essay, as if it were a question of life and death.

If somebody puts the Golden Gate Bridge on his profile instead of a pic of himself I would most probably think huh? weird ! and click "next."....."-))))

Because it worked for you do not generalize. It is 100% proven that a good pic is the biggest incentive for people to click on it to read the profile.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
For me, since I'm only really looking for hookups and casual flings. There are only three things that really matter when I look at a profile:

1. Pics of course
2. Location. I'd prefer they are within 25 miles or so of me
3. Transportation
In your case why is the Transportation a critical point?

Old 08-27-2016, 07:54 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
A non-smoker will rarely date a smoker, because to a non-smoker smoking is indeed disgusting!
But this is put already in the demographics, or not?
I'm a lifelong non-smoker and my fiance was a smoker when we first got together. Then I forced the demons out of here and demanded that she quit immediately or GTFO!

Actually, I'm just kidding about the last part. She ''Quit'' on here own. I only type it like that because occasionally she falls off the wagon and uses E-cigs instead. I normally wouldn't wanna be in a serious relationship with a smoker, not unless I have a very high interest level. I've noticed that the couple of smokers that I dated, have at least smoked minimally if at all around me. And I never have told them not to, but I guess they had a high interest level as well or maybe were just being respectful. I really don't believe in people quitting or doing something for anybody but themselves.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:56 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
I don't have many dealbreakers, but smoking is definitely one of them.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I don't have many dealbreakers, but smoking is definitely one of them.
It's CLOSE for me! But not completely a dealbreaker.

I went out with another girl that smoked, which was an odd experience. When I first asked out this girl that I speak of, she was outside her work on a smoke break. I thought ''Oh come on man! She smokes?'' and I asked her out. And then, I didn't see her smoke not once after that while I was involved with her. It came up on our first date and she said she had quit buying them on her, but smoked OP's (other people's) just didn't buy them on her own or smoke daily. That's what she said, though I never smelled it or tasted it on her breath or anything after this. I smelled it on her clothes sometimes, but only because she lived with smokers. Her mom and step dad.

But the last time I spoke with her, when things fell apart, she was at work having a smoke break. I thought it was odd how I never saw her smoking again.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:20 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
It's CLOSE for me! But not completely a dealbreaker.

I went out with another girl that smoked, which was an odd experience. When I first asked out this girl that I speak of, she was outside her work on a smoke break. I thought ''Oh come on man! She smokes?'' and I asked her out. And then, I didn't see her smoke not once after that while I was involved with her. It came up on our first date and she said she had quit buying them on her, but smoked OP's (other people's) just didn't buy them on her own or smoke daily. That's what she said, though I never smelled it or tasted it on her breath or anything after this. I smelled it on her clothes sometimes, but only because she lived with smokers. Her mom and step dad.

But the last time I spoke with her, when things fell apart, she was at work having a smoke break. I thought it was odd how I never saw her smoking again.

Smoking unfortunately is making a comeback these days, it was on the decline for a while now. I find smoking to be gross and pretty much a deal breaker, everything around you stinks like cigarette smoke, your hair, your clothes ,the walls in the house get all yellow and nasty if you smoke inside. We have only one family member that smokes and going over their house is a treat, the next day I go to pick up my clothes and they just reek like hell. Nasty stuff.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:28 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Smoking unfortunately is making a comeback these days, it was on the decline for a while now. I find smoking to be gross and pretty much a deal breaker, everything around you stinks like cigarette smoke, your hair, your clothes ,the walls in the house get all yellow and nasty if you smoke inside. We have only one family member that smokes and going over their house is a treat, the next day I go to pick up my clothes and they just reek like hell. Nasty stuff.
Really? To me, it's still on the decline for the most part.

And you aren't kidding. My Dad is a regular smoker, and I hate it.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This is why I do not allow smoking in my house. You come over here and wanna smoke, you go outside and smoke. Even when my fiance first moved in, she was still a smoker. I told her that's my only rule. No smoking inside the house, no smoking inside my vehicles.

As I've said, I do allow her to use the e-cigs in the house, as they don't have the strong odor and there's no nicotine stains associated with them.

When I first moved into my place, there were tobacco stains from probably like 50 years ago on the walls. Luckily, we pretty much gutted the place and those are all gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Really? To me, it's still on the decline for the most part.

And you aren't kidding. My Dad is a regular smoker, and I hate it.

I'm fortunate that I don't have to be around smokers too much. My younger brother is the only one of my siblings that smokes. He's turning 23 in a couple days and he must have smoked 2 packs a day at points before he even turned 18. I remember him smoking at 15 and he's a big pothead too. I've always asked him ''Why not just smoke the pot only, if you're gonna smoke both?'' and he never has stopped smoking cigarettes. My mom didn't smoke, although her boyfriend is a huge pot smoker.

My dad was a smoker, he's not also the father of my brother. I have a different father from my three siblings. But even last I spent time with my dad, he would smoke in his bathroom only and not in the living room, kitchen or bedroom. When he was younger he would, but not later in life. I legit wonder if his smoking caused his sudden heart attack and death at the age of 50. He wasn't a heavy smoker, just a pack a day (which is probably average) and even quit a few years here and there.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:52 AM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post

My dad was a smoker, he's not also the father of my brother. I have a different father from my three siblings. But even last I spent time with my dad, he would smoke in his bathroom only and not in the living room, kitchen or bedroom. When he was younger he would, but not later in life. I legit wonder if his smoking caused his sudden heart attack and death at the age of 50. He wasn't a heavy smoker, just a pack a day (which is probably average) and even quit a few years here and there.
If your dad died at 50 from a sudden heart attack he most likely had some kind of genetic thing going on. 50 is pretty young to die from cigarette smoking especially considering the 1 pack a day thing. My dad is 75 and he was a 3 or 4 pack a day guy and he's still kicking it.

Genetics along with a good dose of drawing the ****ty short straw is most likely what happened when a man dies at 50. Sorry for your loss, scary stuff. I'm 3 years coming up on 50 and I certainly hope I don't buy the farm that soon. I've got too much to do still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships