Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 05:40 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Actual degrees don't really matter as much as intellectual curiosity, good conversation, and general thoughtfulness. There are people with MBAs who haven't cracked a book since school, and there are deep thinkers who never went to college. Compatibility is important, but I don't need to see a guy's resume to know it.
I'm another one who agrees with fleetie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 05:57 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Actual degrees don't really matter as much as intellectual curiosity, good conversation, and general thoughtfulness. There are people with MBAs who haven't cracked a book since school, and there are deep thinkers who never went to college. Compatibility is important, but I don't need to see a guy's resume to know it.
Perfect answer. It's all about comparability. For some that means a degree for others it doesn't.

I have two degrees and my boyfriend has none. For me educational background is a non-issue. But we are very compatible and he's a very intelligent man. I learn a lot from him. I think he learns from me too.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:12 PM

273 posts, read 209,405 times
I'm highly educated and I haven't found it to matter at all.

I actually had more women in my life before I was educated lol.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
I have a degree but it doesn't make a difference if he has one. I met people with degrees whom didn't get anywhere. Or arrogant people with degrees. Although a degree is truly a great accomplishment its not the end all.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I have a degree but it doesn't make a difference if he has one. I met people with degrees whom didn't get anywhere. Or arrogant people with degrees. Although a degree is truly a great accomplishment its not the end all.
Good point.

When I think "degree", I typically think of someone that is actually able to use it. You don't typically think of the people that have advanced degrees in basket weaving, but they are definitely out there, maybe even the majority of people with degrees.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:28 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarney View Post
Good point.

When I think "degree", I typically think of someone that is actually able to use it. You don't typically think of the people that have advanced degrees in basket weaving, but they are definitely out there, maybe even the majority of people with degrees.

That's a whole other debate, the "useless" degree versus something like a STEM degree. That one always gets a little heated too. Usually you have the personal enrichment crowd versus the career/job training group.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That's a whole other debate, the "useless" degree versus something like a STEM degree. That one always gets a little heated too. Usually you have the personal enrichment crowd versus the career/job training group.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the "degree for personal enrichment" concept. To me, if a person needs to sit through structured classes to find enrichment, they're not very creative or resourceful. These days, one could easily just hop on the internet and find all kinds of enriching things for free. It's like one massive library.

To quote the movie Good Will Hunting: "You dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a f****** education you coulda' got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the Public Library."

I do prefer women with practical and applicable degrees though. To me, it shows commitment, good decision-making, and forward thinking.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:09 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the "degree for personal enrichment" concept. To me, if a person needs to sit through structured classes to find enrichment, they're not very creative or resourceful. These days, one could easily just hop on the internet and find all kinds of enriching things for free. It's like one massive library.

To quote the movie Good Will Hunting: "You dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a f****** education you coulda' got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the Public Library."

I do prefer women with practical and applicable degrees though. To me, it shows commitment, good decision-making, and forward thinking.

I agree with you and I know that exact line you mentioned in the film. LOL.

IDK, I mentioned intellectual curiosity and like you said, you can get a lot of overall knowledge by just simply just reading, I was a reading maniac when I was a kid, I've haven't been as much the last several years, I should probably start back up, I consider myself a semi-intellectual.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:10 PM

458 posts, read 329,148 times
It's not a requirement for me. My husband is a high school drop out and I have a Bachelors. My husband is smart about life. I am smart with books. It's complementary. Everyone has something valuable to offer

Old 07-10-2016, 08:11 PM

458 posts, read 329,148 times
Quote:

Love that movie!!! One of my favorites!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships