Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 01:08 PM

880 posts, read 1,250,535 times

Advertisements

Just say that you already have plans for that day, but you wouldn't miss it for the world and will be there later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 01:40 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,177,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
Just say that you already have plans for that day, but you wouldn't miss it for the world and will be there later.
You have plans but would not miss it for the world? How does that make sense?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
If you have other plans you are prioritizing, you literally ARE missing it for the world.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 PM

3,063 posts, read 1,676,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Am I only one who works Saturday's here? OP just say you had been scheduled against your will for the time of the ceremony but I want to be at the reception for sure.

True story, my manager at an old job got married on a Saturday afternoon and invited me to his wedding and ceremony and was surprised when I said I could make the reception but not the damn ceremony and I was like "brother, I don't get off until bla-bla, you made my schedule man." Anyway, I didn't make it to the reception because of other stuff but my manager was like at least make the reception, I'd love to have you.

This.

Not everyone's job is easy to make absentee arrangements for. I had one such job once.

In this case, I think he should just TELL the ex up front what's going on before giving an rvsp and ASK if your idea would be acceptable. She may very well just not CARE as long as he shows up at some point to wish her well.

But DO take a nice gift.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:23 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,225,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
IMO, none of the "reasons" Glamour lists really hold water.

Nope. If it's inconvenient for you to make the trip for the ceremony, it's equally inconvenient to make the trip for the reception.

If it's truly inconvenient, just send your regrets.

If there's still so much there that the ceremony would be traumatizing, a reception celebrating the happy couple isn't gonna be any less so. Skip the whole thing if you're emotionally fragile about an ex.

If the wedding is destination and a local reception is planned specifically for people who couldn't make the trip, the who thing is a non-issue, because it's specifically planned for people not at the ceremony. It's not a pertinent example.

They think you know them well enough to invite you to the ceremony. If you don't agree, send regrets. If you don't know them well enough to sit through a ceremony, you don't know them well enough to drink on their dime, either.
Umm, what's with the "drink on their dime"? Do you not give a gift when you go to a wedding? Where I come from, we give cash and we usually give a cash gift that covers the cost for us PLUS a gift.

So many people are responding about how tacky it is to NOT go to the ceremony. I'd like to know how close the OP has been with his ex that his ex is sending him a wedding invitation. Imo, it's tacky to send wedding invitations just to get gifts. My husband and I are friendly with some of our ex's but we would never consider sending invitations when we got married. Sometimes life happens and people can't make it to the ceremony. That's no reason why they shouldn't go celebrate the couple's happiness at the reception.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
Your position is that it's cool to skip the ceremony but hit the reception, because you should get some kind of food/drink compensation in return for giving a gift?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships