Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these scenarios do you think is more of a hurdle?
20 year age gap (35 yr old guy and 55 yr old woman) but 15 minutes apart 12 36.36%
Guy and girl both in mid 30's, but live 1000 miles apart? 21 63.64%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 02:16 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times

Advertisements

2 has a solution... move.

1st one can be an impossible difference to work out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 04:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

I went with #2. I've known many people in LDRs who have managed to make it work out for years and have ultimately ended up married and in happy relationships with children, including my sister and a grad school roommate. Both of them had trans-continental LDRs and the full period of the LDRs was several years. They are just two people I know who made it work. 20 years is just too great an age difference.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:16 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Huh? Aren't you only 29?
Lol!!!

Let me do the math....... Oh!

Old 07-14-2016, 05:26 AM

733 posts, read 602,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Huh? Aren't you only 29?
I forgot to do the math, I'll wait for another 10 years to date someone 20 years younger than me.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:51 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

This.

The age difference will ALWAYS be 20 years and the differences will become much more apparent as they both grow older. I can't see this lasting more than a couple of years.

The mileage gap may not necessarily be permanent. I would advise that the relationship not go into exclusive territory until that gap is addressed, but it has a better chance for a longer lasting relationship.

Not good.

But better than the first.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:58 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times
I went with #2 but it's based solely on personal experience. I could never date a man 20 years younger or 20 years older. But I am dating a man now and there is an 8 year age gap and things are working just fine. I also know of a couple married for almost 20 years where the husband is 15 years younger. My grandfather was 10 years older than my grandmother and they were very happy too. Same with my brother and his wife. So nothing negative, although I don't really know of anyone with a full generation age gap to be fair.

But both long distance relationship I've tried ended in heartbreak and in one case the man cheating on me. In the other case the man was able to hide what he was really like (a jerk to others) because he was always playing the part of a good guy when I was around. I'll never do long distance again.

As they say though, your mileage may vary.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:01 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Definitely distance. The distance and time apart affects who you are and how you act with your SO even when you are together.

Of course, your poll include an age difference scenario that elicits the knee-jerk caveman responses, distracting from the point of the question.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:16 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
I can work with 20 years gap if she is younger than me.

Did you even read the question??

My scenario was a 20 year age gap with an older woman and younger man, not the other way around. Such basic reading comprehension that some people have trouble with

Everyone else, thanks for the well thought out responses!

Old 07-14-2016, 08:50 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
I forgot to do the math, I'll wait for another 10 years to date someone 20 years younger than me.
Then you may be waiting a WHILE, because that young girl may not want an old man v. the tight high-performing guys all around her, LOL.

But anyway, good luck.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:55 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I went with #2 but it's based solely on personal experience. I could never date a man 20 years younger or 20 years older. But I am dating a man now and there is an 8 year age gap and things are working just fine. I also know of a couple married for almost 20 years where the husband is 15 years younger. My grandfather was 10 years older than my grandmother and they were very happy too. Same with my brother and his wife. So nothing negative, although I don't really know of anyone with a full generation age gap to be fair.

But both long distance relationship I've tried ended in heartbreak and in one case the man cheating on me. In the other case the man was able to hide what he was really like (a jerk to others) because he was always playing the part of a good guy when I was around. I'll never do long distance again.

As they say though, your mileage may vary.
I agree...as a woman, I could go 10 years younger. 20 years...that would sure be a stretch.

Not sure this applies as it's not as large an age difference as the example and the genders are reversed, but if we're talking that giant an age difference, I guess that would be my no, either way....I can't imagine dating a guy 20 years older either, that would be my father's age. I know I should be open minded but I just don't think I could get past that, it would turn me off. To each his or her own on that score, though.

But I did do an LDR and in fact, have been married to him for 14 years. That's not because I had a choice between him and an old dude, though, so I kind of find the poll silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships