Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:51 PM

8 posts, read 8,777 times

Advertisements

I am about to turn 30 later this year. I was definitely not the party type during college as I didn't drink and smoke and with graduate school pretty much did not finish until 27. Add being an introvert to that and my relationships have been sparse.

I currently work in a corporate environment. For the most part, the people in my department/company are at least 10 years older than me. And I occasionally hear from some of the older women in my workplace, some of whom are actually single or have never been married, that I'm good "husband material". Same goes for the girls my age I know outside work.

• Financially stable
  • Squeaky clean background
  • Good career
  • Able to handle most domestic duties that older generations attributed to women

I may say that the whole issue is the dichotomy of being from an Asian background (Chinese/Vietnamese) where dating/relationships were not necessarily about love at first sight/instant mutual attraction versus how it's portrayed by Hollywood and media. So it creates a divide between what is husband and boyfriend material.

So I am finding it at best a backhanded compliment at best when I hear about "husband material" and I compare to the sparseness of my dating life and realize I may be the type of guy that a girl's mother likes more than the girl .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 07:54 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,439 times
Ok?

Seriously, where's the complaint here? You are who you are, and people are going to say what they're going to say.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:21 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
What's the problem?

How is that an insult?

You're thinking too far into it. Live your life and quit worrying about what others say.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:25 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
I think the complaint may be OP feels HM is a way of saying he's the safety net women come to when they want stability. But not the guy that women find sex or lust for. So he'll have this woman who wants to marry him, but she won't be particularly passionate or hot for him like the guys she's dated.

It's like the other thread in Psychology or Non-Romantic. Someone asks where "Cute" stands on the attractiveness scale. Some say it's a very good compliment. Others feel cute is something to call an animal or child. Thus when you get called cute, it means you're alright, but nothing special -not hot or sexy.

So some things that seem like compliments, people feel are negative to the image they'd like to have.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninmedia View Post

I may say that the whole issue is the dichotomy of being from an Asian background (Chinese/Vietnamese) where dating/relationships were not necessarily about love at first sight/instant mutual attraction versus how it's portrayed by Hollywood and media. So it creates a divide between what is husband and boyfriend material.

So I am finding it at best a backhanded compliment at best when I hear about "husband material" and I compare to the sparseness of my dating life and realize I may be the type of guy that a girl's mother likes more than the girl .
Assuming your co-workers aren't from an Asian background, THEY don't know that "husband material" is seen as a slight, right??

So you're taking it personally even thought they apparently don't mean it as an insult. You're creating the so-called problem.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:45 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
First world problems?

I'd be flattered if ANY person considered me husband material.

That means I am a stable provider, decent income/job history, not bad looking, decent, kind, honorable person and every other good traits that come with being a good husband.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:56 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
It's definitely not an insult.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:17 PM

783 posts, read 849,265 times
It is a compliment but I do get where you are coming from. Single and mostly ignored by women during most of your 20s and now that you have your career going you are starting to get female interest because you have your life in order. However where were these women when you were single and a broke college student? Maybe they were dating bad boys maybe not. One of my pet peeves as a man is women that date bad boys and have their fun then look for a stable responsible man to settle down with; especially if they have kids from the bad boys they dated.

Being called Husband Material is a compliment though. It depends on who it is coming from and her history whether I would accept it or not. Mod cut.

edit: VanillaChocolate knows it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-16-2016 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Not PG-13.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
No. You've overthought it. It means that she's a grown up and wouldn't mind you parking your Bentley in her love garage for life.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:56 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
It is a compliment but I do get where you are coming from. Single and mostly ignored by women during most of your 20s and now that you have your career going you are starting to get female interest because you have your life in order. However where were these women when you were single and a broke college student? Maybe they were dating bad boys maybe not. One of my pet peeves as a man is women that date bad boys and have their fun then look for a stable responsible man to settle down with; especially if they have kids from the bad boys they dated.

Being called Husband Material is a compliment though. It depends on who it is coming from and her history whether I would accept it or not. [snip]

edit: VanillaChocolate knows it.
Oh, come on. Any plainer, not as party-ish, non-hottie girl could say the same thing. Where were all the guys before they wanted a woman who would be thoughtful and bring in an income and help keep house? Oh yeah, fighting each other for the hotties. Duh, that's youth - from both sides. The young don't (generally) want to settle down. They're experimentimg and they're insanely hormonal. They want the.excitement and the drama and the heat. Then, they all grow up. Well, with an exception here and there.

Reality and human nature may be a pet peeve for you, but they're still reality and human nature.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-16-2016 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Reply to comment which has been deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships