Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 10:56 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,473 times

Advertisements

If it's any consolation OP, I still consider guys who "got around" & were previously bad boys etc, as very good husband material if they have managed to get their lives in order. Chances are if I found a guy boring back then & he has made absolutely no changes since then, I would still find him boring now, so I wouldn't date him!

You have a choice to either become the person you want to be, or to become bitter & find slights where none are meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 11:01 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
What's the problem?
How is that an insult?
You're thinking too far into it. Live your life and quit worrying about what others say.
The problem is it is usually considered an insult when men refer to women as *wife material* so it should be the same when a man is referred to as
*husband material*.
There are more than one thread on this forum that show this.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:12 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The problem is it is usually considered an insult when men refer to women as *wife material* so it should be the same when a man is referred to as
*husband material*.
There are more than one thread on this forum that show this.
It is? I wouldn't be insulted of a man thought of me as wife material. I mean what's the alternative, "She's pretty much just good for a pop"?

Old 07-15-2016, 11:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninmedia View Post
I am about to turn 30 later this year. I was definitely not the party type during college as I didn't drink and smoke and with graduate school pretty much did not finish until 27. Add being an introvert to that and my relationships have been sparse.

I currently work in a corporate environment. For the most part, the people in my department/company are at least 10 years older than me. And I occasionally hear from some of the older women in my workplace, some of whom are actually single or have never been married, that I'm good "husband material". Same goes for the girls my age I know outside work.

• Financially stable
  • Squeaky clean background
  • Good career
  • Able to handle most domestic duties that older generations attributed to women

I may say that the whole issue is the dichotomy of being from an Asian background (Chinese/Vietnamese) where dating/relationships were not necessarily about love at first sight/instant mutual attraction versus how it's portrayed by Hollywood and media. So it creates a divide between what is husband and boyfriend material.

So I am finding it at best a backhanded compliment at best when I hear about "husband material" and I compare to the sparseness of my dating life and realize I may be the type of guy that a girl's mother likes more than the girl .
Based on this post, you seem like good husband material.

[shrug]

Old 07-15-2016, 11:40 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
You can call me Larry, you can call my Garry, you can call me a good husband, but just don't call me late for dinner.

Edit: .. corny joke, I get it...

Old 07-15-2016, 11:44 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It is? I wouldn't be insulted of a man thought of me as wife material. I mean what's the alternative, "She's pretty much just good for a pop"?
I struggle with that myself. It's like the Ginger vs. Marry Ann thing.

The former is seen the hot one whom men would lust over and throw themselves to. A fling. The latter is the less hot, wife material.

On the one hand, it's good to be taken seriously as a companion. On the other, I would wanna be hot, rather than "cute" lol

Old 07-16-2016, 12:55 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Absolutely. "Wife material" is something I would have said about a woman that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. How can that be bad?

Old 07-16-2016, 12:58 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I struggle with that myself. It's like the Ginger vs. Marry Ann thing.

The former is seen the hot one whom men would lust over and throw themselves to. A fling. The latter is the less hot, wife material.

On the one hand, it's good to be taken seriously as a companion. On the other, I would wanna be hot, rather than "cute" lol
I don't know. Hot fades most of the time while cute remains most of the time.

A woman who is mostly cute but can turn on the hot when necessary is the best you can get.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:04 AM

733 posts, read 602,996 times
Never mind, you are overthinking.

To me, there are only two kinds of women, women who want to date me and women who don't want to date me.

I'll ignore the women who don't want to date me.

Among the women who want to date me, there are also two categories, the women I want to date and the women I don't want to date.

If they call you husband material but they don't want to date you, ignore them, they are insincere. Otherwise, try to date the attractive ones.

The algorithm couldn't be simpler. Two if-else loops can do all the work.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:55 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
It's a great compliment mate

How can that be backhanded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships