Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:03 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Apparently you have never lived in Texas and you are ignorant of Texas culture. Texans love their guns and trucks more than cars. The culture of Texas is very unique and sophisticated
That isn't unique, or sophisticated, it is just sad and pathetic. It also seems to value high school football more than education.

Quote:
you just can't expect Texas to be another New England. I have nothing against Boston, but we all know Texas is the greatest state in America and we all know the vast majority of U.S cities do not have adequate public transportation.

I agree that Texas isn't the best place for traditional vacation, but Texas is the second most populous state, which means there are a lot of people actually living in this great state.

By the way, Justice Scalia died at a luxury resort in West Texas while he was on vacation. He wouldn't visit Texas if it's just a craphole.
Ah, hahaha, delusional.

And Scalia was an evil evil man. Good riddance. A horrible person. But yes, I've been to Big Bend, which is a beautiful National Park, but outside of Austin, the culture of TX has much to be desired. Everything to be desired.

And yes, lack of public transit is a problem, it keeps second class cities, well, second class. All our cities need improvement in this regard though. Our bests are still bad compared to world class standards.

Last edited by timberline742; 07-20-2016 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 11:18 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,257 times
If it's not too big of an inconvenience, I don't see why not. Some major cities have decent enough public transit that makes it very possible. Plus, with services like Uber, Lyft, and ZipCar, getting around town is becoming less difficult without a car. And if you're not paying $500-$700 a month on a car payment, gas, and insurance, having to use these services once in awhile isn't that big of a financial burden, relatively speaking.

As a former Detroiter, I still have an affinity for cars, even though I live out of state now. My car is both a hobby and a functional transportation tool, just as my bike is.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
nope. Won't date someone who refuses to drive or own a car. Not where I live since public transit is not an option.
Agree

Old 07-20-2016, 11:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That isn't unique, or sophisticated, it is just sad and pathetic. It also seems to value high school football more than education.

Ah, hahaha, delusional.

And Scalia was an evil evil man. Good riddance. A horrible person. But yes, I've been to Big Bend, which is a beautiful National Park, but outside of Austin, the culture of TX has much to be desired. Everything to be desired.

And yes, lack of public transit is a problem, it keeps second class cities, well, second class. All our cities need improvement in this regard though. Our bests are still bad compared to world class standards.
Do you people just take lessons all together on how to say that you love Austin but everything else is crap when actually you don't know a damn thing about the state?

Because everyone who says it sounds like they're reading out of the same playbook. And usually have never spent any significant amount of time anywhere else.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:24 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Hypothetical question:
Say you are seeing someone...and only one of you has a vehicle. In this case, it's the guy who drives, the woman is bereft of wheels. Now, the guy drives to see her frequently. Both live a considerably short distance from each other, with adequate public transportation (bus) in between.

Now, the woman says she wants to spend time with the guy; the guy can't always get over there, but [he] suggests that she take the bus to his place. She refuses, although she is familiar with the bus - as stated, she doesn't drive. Wouldn't this be considered selfish on her part if she refuses to go to his place, rather than his driving there all the time?
YES! I wouldn't necessarily think she was selfish, but I certainly would take this as a 'I am not really interested in you enough to come over.'

Old 07-20-2016, 11:26 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Do you people just take lessons all together on how to say that you love Austin but everything else is crap when actually you don't know a damn thing about the state?
It's actually a prerequisite for moving to certain areas.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:31 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times
Quote:
By the way, a significant part of your vacation savings will probably be spent on car rental and gas.
Not if you do it right. My last trip was to SF with a couple of girlfriends and we either walked or used public transportation for everything we wanted to do because we played things out in a way that allowed us to do so. Upcoming trip is still in the planning stages but is shaping up to be more bicycling than driving.

I probably could have gotten away with not having a car in Atlanta, but I wanted to do a few things that were further out. I considered only getting a car for part of the time I was there but got one for the whole time so I could have the freedom to switch up my itinerary if I wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Anywhere else, dating someone who doesn't own a car is kind of a red flag that you're not dating your socioeconomic equal. As some point, you have to consider the pragmatic economics in a long term relationship.
The gal my friend is dating who does not have a car has a MUCH better financial picture/outlook than he does. She rides her bike everywhere she needs to go or she takes the bus and has the entire 17 years she's lived here. She has a license; she has no need for a car.

The friends I have who don't have cars are in various stages of like. None of them are inferior to me socioeconomically as a result of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
If it's real, is this another one of those mentally challenged women you like to date? Because this is not normal behaviour.
Can't rep you, but this thought crossed my mind too.

Quote:
HS and college. Have to admit though, I did love "Friday Night Lights" (TV series version).

Old 07-20-2016, 11:33 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:

Because everyone who says it sounds like they're reading out of the same playbook. And usually have never spent any significant amount of time anywhere else.
I've spent a fair amount of time in the state for work and travel. Thank you.

Just because someone thinks a place sucks doesn't mean they don't know a thing about it. But you're free to believe that. You are also free to believe a place like Lubbock may have worthwhile properties, if you wish.

Unfortunately, if it were confined to TX, it wouldn't be a big deal, but TX is so large and its buying power so robust that unfortunately the ignorance perpetrated in its curriculum standards have had a significant effect on the content of high school textbooks across the country... contributing to the dumbing down of our society.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2012...xtbooks-on-us/

There are many pieces on this affect. Horrendous. It's amazing that the educated people of Texas allow this to occur.

Last edited by timberline742; 07-20-2016 at 11:42 AM..

Old 07-20-2016, 11:35 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:

I agree. I vacation in Galveston every year. My daughter has chosen to go to college in Texas. I am considering relocating back to Dallas where I spent the best years of my life.

I am by all the negativity about a place it seems these folks have never visited or lived.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:49 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
There are many pieces on this affect. Horrendous. It's amazing that the educated people of Texas allow this to occur.
If they graduated with a reflexive suspicion of the concept of separation of church and state and an unexpected interest in the contributions of the National Rifle Association to American history, you know who to blame.

The teachers who don't actually teach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships