Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
YAY 12 26.67%
NAY 33 73.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:59 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Life is too short to be wearing dress shirts and ties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 11:01 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
You're going on a date, not a job interview.
Slacks (or dress jeans, preferably dark-color), button-down or polo shirt will suffice. I'd suggest a muted color shirt.
Don't ever say slacks again.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:06 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Man, it's crazy how in the 1950's, men never left the house without classing up. Now, it's a faux pas? haha.

I've gone to dumpster-dive bars wearing full get-up and it's funny when alt-hippie women whisper, "Who is that?"

Or when guys say, "Man, I wish I could come here wearing that!"

I tell 'em they can, I'm not special.

There is no such thing as being over-dressed. Unless you're at a music festival when it's 100 degrees. But even then, you wear a shirt and tie, might look like you came right over from the job at the high-rise. You may not get extra points - but you sure won't lose any.

And never, ever wear a shirt tucked into jeans.

I will reiterate - tell her you're dressing up. She'll be happy to do the same or she ain't worth bothering.

And don't feel the need to lose the tie. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know women love men who break-out of the mold.
Great, thanks, now I have ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man" stuck in my head...

Old 07-25-2016, 06:26 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
How to Dress for a First Date: 14 Steps (with Pictures)

Old 07-25-2016, 06:38 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
4 - Avoid outfit blunders. There are certain items of clothing that are just a bad choice for a first date. They either aren't flattering or are irritating to a date. Avoiding these will go a long way towards impressing your date with your attire
  • Ditch the khakis. These trousers (or shorts) are really not the way to go for a first date. They're fine for day to day use, but you'll want to look more put together for your date and there are very, very few people who think khakis are sexy.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
4 - Avoid outfit blunders. There are certain items of clothing that are just a bad choice for a first date. They either aren't flattering or are irritating to a date. Avoiding these will go a long way towards impressing your date with your attire
  • Ditch the khakis. These trousers (or shorts) are really not the way to go for a first date. They're fine for day to day use, but you'll want to look more put together for your date and there are very, very few people who think khakis are sexy.
I don't want someone trying to look sexy on a first date. I want them to look presentable. I'm focusing on who they are and what they have to say, and whether they're capable of carrying on a true conversation (vs. a monologue), so that I can determine if there will be a second date. I don't want him to dress like he's trying to come onto me.
I think if the OP doesn't like jeans and thinks he doesn't look good in jeans (he may be right), navy khakis would be a close second. After all, what else is there? What other options would he have if he wants to wear a shirt and sport coat?

Old 07-25-2016, 06:47 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I live in the country. The only time I see a dress shirt and a tie is at the bank, lol.

Most likely a date here would be hiking, a picnic, tubing/whitewater rafting, boating on the lake, skiing, ziplining…something like that

I'd rather have a meal prepared for me than go out to a restaurant…even if it is on the grill

Old 07-25-2016, 06:50 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbcrazycatlady View Post
No. Just don't even talk about ties again.
They do have other uses though

Old 07-25-2016, 06:54 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't want someone trying to look sexy on a first date. I want them to look presentable. I'm focusing on who they are and what they have to say, and whether they're capable of carrying on a true conversation (vs. a monologue), so that I can determine if there will be a second date. I don't want him to dress like he's trying to come onto me.
I think if the OP doesn't like jeans and thinks he doesn't look good in jeans (he may be right), navy khakis would be a close second. After all, what else is there? What other options would he have if he wants to wear a shirt and sport coat?
Chinos would be a good option.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:10 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Chinos would be a good option.
Yes, chinos are perfect. And go buy a fresh Polo shirt or a cotton madras, if you're that stymied by the dress code. Look at a few men's fashion magazines to see how to accessorize.

Wear good shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships