Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 3,992 times

Advertisements

My ex was verbally abusive towards me throughout our short relationship. We lasted two months before I became sick and tired of her behaviour. She actually ended up dumping me, claiming that I neglected her (I pulled away from her because of her behaviour).

- She was looking through my entire phone, text messages etc. She even texted a platonic female friend of mine from my phone asking whether or not we had had sex.
- She told me to 'sleep alone' whenever I was out without her.
- She was demeaning towards me, my dreams, my friends and sometimes even her own friends. She was a real bully. When I pointed out her ways, she just denied, claiming she was 'just joking' and wasn't being serious. To give you an example: Whenever a friend of hers is down and seek comfort in her, she would laugh at them behind their back and makes fun of their problems. Also on a few occations, she has told me through text messaging that 'we'll never see each other again' (accompanied by a 'hahaha') and afterwards claimed that she was just joking.
- Whenever I spend time with any female friend of mine (strictly platonic) she would ask me how 'my date' went.
- We fought a lot (verbally), and I have never been fighting with anyone like that before. She told me that our fights were 'nothing' compared to the fights she had had in earlier relationships.

However she also did a lot of good things, bought me gifts, gave me compliments, invited me to meet her family etc., which makes me wonder if it was not as bad as I tend to think or whether it is just clouding her abusive tendencies.

We parted a little over a year ago. Now I just learned from a mutual friend that she is moving in together with her new boyfriend, who she has only been dating for about six months. Apparently their relationship is succesful. I feel like a complete failure for failing to make it work between us.
Does a person change her jealous, demeaning and abusive ways this easily? I could use some input. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 02:28 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Maybe you're not a doormat? Congratulate yourself for having a spine and don't look back.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:47 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwaway13 View Post
My ex was verbally abusive towards me throughout our short relationship. We lasted two months before I became sick and tired of her behaviour. She actually ended up dumping me, claiming that I neglected her (I pulled away from her because of her behaviour).

- She was looking through my entire phone, text messages etc. She even texted a platonic female friend of mine from my phone asking whether or not we had had sex.
- She told me to 'sleep alone' whenever I was out without her.
- She was demeaning towards me, my dreams, my friends and sometimes even her own friends. She was a real bully. When I pointed out her ways, she just denied, claiming she was 'just joking' and wasn't being serious. To give you an example: Whenever a friend of hers is down and seek comfort in her, she would laugh at them behind their back and makes fun of their problems. Also on a few occations, she has told me through text messaging that 'we'll never see each other again' (accompanied by a 'hahaha') and afterwards claimed that she was just joking.
- Whenever I spend time with any female friend of mine (strictly platonic) she would ask me how 'my date' went.
- We fought a lot (verbally), and I have never been fighting with anyone like that before. She told me that our fights were 'nothing' compared to the fights she had had in earlier relationships.

However she also did a lot of good things, bought me gifts, gave me compliments, invited me to meet her family etc., which makes me wonder if it was not as bad as I tend to think or whether it is just clouding her abusive tendencies.

We parted a little over a year ago. Now I just learned from a mutual friend that she is moving in together with her new boyfriend, who she has only been dating for about six months. Apparently their relationship is succesful. I feel like a complete failure for failing to make it work between us.
Does a person change her jealous, demeaning and abusive ways this easily? I could use some input. Thanks in advance.
Behavior is a funny thing. A person can act one way with one person, and be quite different with another. We all respond differently to different behaviors. I see it over and over again. Forget about it and move on.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
You weren't happy with her. That's all that matters. Whatever her future holds for her is no concern of yours.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:15 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
He either takes her abuse and likes it.

Or he has bigger balls and has put her in her place immediately and she doesn't try controlling him anymore and they have a completely different vibe in their relationship. Maybe she needed somebody very dominant to shut her up and be tame.

Maybe she is taking strong meds and turned into a different person.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:16 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Maybe he just puts up with her where you wouldn't

Old 08-02-2016, 03:29 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
The two of you had a busy two months.

Don't compare yourself to others, it will be never ending are rarely make you happy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2016, 03:29 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Other possibilities:

She learned from her mistakes and mellowed out.
She wasn't ready for a relationship when you guys were together.
You & she weren't compatible and the doubts brought out the worst in her.

I wouldn't worry about it too much that she found someone else. That's a TON of drama you put up with in a short 2-month relationship. When you find the right person, it should feel easy at the beginning.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:31 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwaway13 View Post
Input on what? You broke up. It's over. Leave the past where it should be, in your past, and move on.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:39 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Input on what? You broke up. It's over. Leave the past where it should be, in your past, and move on.
Insanity = doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

Some people like to reflect after a failed relationship and learn from it and not repeat mistakes. Sometimes it isn't obvious what they do wrong and they need help. OP is reaching out to figure out if it was HIM that caused her to be a nutcase since she seems to be doing well in a relationship shortly after.

I think this is a totally normal reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships