Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:51 PM

105 posts, read 103,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Agree that the daughter's invitation trumps yours, although I find it odd that the daughter waited till the last minute. Does she think her dad has no friends? Or does she like to exert her daughterly influence by swooping in when she feels like it?

Anyway, for me, much would depend on how the rescheduling email was worded.

If it began with "Sorry to change plans on you at the last minute" and ends with "Hope you understand," then it's far from rude.

If it was abrupt, then I think that's a red flag for how he sees you.
I guess that's what bothered me. When he canceled, there was no apology...just "my daughter's taking me out", not "I'm sorry"...

He asked at the last minute and then canceled abruptly.

Things that don't start off well usually don't end well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 01:34 PM

352 posts, read 233,919 times
Hard to determine based on your unfamiliarity with this dude.....but if it's a first time deal he probably didn't flake or back burner you. More likely was suddenly hit up by his daughter.

Let him contact you for the reschedule. IMO

Old 08-03-2016, 03:18 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,513,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amman View Post
Actually just wanted to vent.

A man I barely know sent me an e-mail asking me to have dinner with him tomorrow. It's his birthday and I found it rather sweet.

I accepted. Then got an e-mail saying that his daughter would be taking him out for his birthday and could we do it Thursday or Friday?

Well, this is just rude to me...like all of a sudden he made plans with her after I accepted.

My friend told me to cut him some slack since it was his birthday, but I feel that it's just a bad beginning, and that it would be too accommodating on my part.

Comments?
Agreed with your friend

It's his daughter she will always come first. Give him the benefit of the doubt and meet him just the once and go from there

Old 08-03-2016, 03:30 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,342,394 times
I'm afraid you're so negative at this point that it will be a self-fulfilling prophesy even if he's a great guy.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'm afraid you're so negative at this point that it will be a self-fulfilling prophesy even if he's a great guy.
She's certainly thinking the worst

However again OP meet him at least the once then go from there

Old 08-03-2016, 04:52 PM

37,566 posts, read 45,928,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
I would cut him some slack just because it's his birthday. I can understand why he would want to spend it with family over somebody he barely knows. Plus he offered to reschedule straight away.

If he often cancels/reschedules however, I would move on. I prefer when people are respectful of my time
This^^.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:36 PM

Hmmm, maybe I have been too hard on him and should reconsider.

These answers surprised me, but I appreciate honesty. Sometimes I tend to overthink things.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amman View Post
Hmmm, maybe I have been too hard on him and should reconsider.

These answers surprised me, but I appreciate honesty. Sometimes I tend to overthink things.
Ohhhhhhh a happy customer!!!! We should have you framed LOL

No seriously though how have you left it with him?..... I mean after he emailed you back with the proposed reschedule?

Cheers

Old 08-03-2016, 09:42 PM

Thought it over and decided not to because...frankly, I just don't care.

It's not that important to me beyond my initial wondering what happened.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:52 PM

An update...I just heard from Birthday Boy and he wants to have dinner Friday.

And I am going because he contacted me.

I'm sorry to say that I've been a little cynical here, but we'll see how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships