Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:16 PM

105 posts, read 103,803 times

Advertisements

Actually just wanted to vent.

A man I barely know sent me an e-mail asking me to have dinner with him tomorrow. It's his birthday and I found it rather sweet.

I accepted. Then got an e-mail saying that his daughter would be taking him out for his birthday and could we do it Thursday or Friday?

Well, this is just rude to me...like all of a sudden he made plans with her after I accepted.

My friend told me to cut him some slack since it was his birthday, but I feel that it's just a bad beginning, and that it would be too accommodating on my part.

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 08:45 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,436 times
This is one of my biggest annoyances - people canceling especially last minute the other is habitually late people.

Trust your instincts -

He did want to spend his birthday with you and that is sweet, and it is rude that he wants to reschedule now to be with his daughter.

He did ask to reschedule right away. If he is being honest and sincere than trust that.

However, not so sure about rescheduling for this Thur or Fri.

Just hate to think it may be with someone else besides his daughter.

If you're not sure than how about meeting him a little later (few weeks) for coffee and just make it kinda a brief get together.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:55 AM

914 posts, read 737,927 times
I would cut him some slack just because it's his birthday. I can understand why he would want to spend it with family over somebody he barely knows. Plus he offered to reschedule straight away.

If he often cancels/reschedules however, I would move on. I prefer when people are respectful of my time

Old 08-03-2016, 01:05 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
I mean, you can't really blame him if his daughter did take him out for his birthday. Maybe the daughter wasn't planning to, but did it last minute.

He did offer to reschedule, though. I'd trust that and him for now.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:19 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Uh, family comes before people you "barely know." Always. I would reschedule anything with anyone if stuff with my family came up, and there's nothing flaky about that.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:33 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
^^^^^ I agree with the three posts above ^^^

Old 08-03-2016, 09:04 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amman View Post

A man I barely know sent me an e-mail asking me to have dinner with him tomorrow. It's his birthday and I found it rather sweet.

I accepted. Then got an e-mail saying that his daughter would be taking him out for his birthday and could we do it Thursday or Friday?

Well, this is just rude to me...like all of a sudden he made plans with her after I accepted.

My friend told me to cut him some slack since it was his birthday, but I feel that it's just a bad beginning, and that it would be too accommodating on my part.

Comments?
He didn't flake. He rescheduled.

Cut him some slack and don't be resentful when you actually do meet him.

I find it more of a red flag if he doesn't have friends who take him out and invites a stranger for dinner before his daughter surprisingly steps up.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:34 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amman View Post

Comments?
Seriously?
He did not flake on you... THAT would be rude.
Rescheduling in advance, with alternate options for you to choose from, is being very considerate.
You DO need to cut him some slack.

Surely you can see why he would like to spend his birthday with family (who for all we know came in from out of town for the event!) instead of with a stranger.

If you think this is bad, you are in for a whole lot of disappointment down the dating road....

Old 08-03-2016, 12:06 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
I can't stand flakes but this time he didn't flake. It was a simple reschedule on the date because his daughter is taking him out. Can't really blame him there.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:12 PM

496 posts, read 553,137 times
Agree that the daughter's invitation trumps yours, although I find it odd that the daughter waited till the last minute. Does she think her dad has no friends? Or does she like to exert her daughterly influence by swooping in when she feels like it?

Anyway, for me, much would depend on how the rescheduling email was worded.

If it began with "Sorry to change plans on you at the last minute" and ends with "Hope you understand," then it's far from rude.

If it was abrupt, then I think that's a red flag for how he sees you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships