U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 952 times

Advertisements

So for the past 9 months I have been dating an older man. I am 29 he is 44. I know it's a big age gap but I have always liked older men and think they are usually much more mature and understanding than younger men.

We met at my old job, he was a customer that would come in and we found we could really talk and have great conversations. We started dating and I moved into his house 2 months ago. All was well and had been well at first, but I started noticing he seemed to have certain ideas about things that would be considered more old school. For example he does work hard and works long hours but he has said he thinks since I don't work or go to school (I quit my job to focus on school but dropped out due to anxiety and stress) I should be doing all the house work and I do like to cook and would quite a bit but now he will say "when I get back from work I want x for dinner" I have also noticed he doesn't put his plates or other things away.

Now I just thought since I do have all the free time it's understandable I do more of that kind of stuff but I did notice when I would come over his house was pretty dirty but I keep it clean. He is affectionate and loving when he wants to be, but I asked him once if he could vacuum while I was out getting groceries and he laughed and said "that's what women are great at" then said he was tired and going to take a nap.

Also when I asked if he could start putting his dishes in the sink and sometimes run the dishwasher he said "why? You do such a great job at it".

I understand one aspect of being with someone older is they can have different ideas about things than younger people but I was wondering if this is more him or just men in his age group?

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 12:16 AM

27,887 posts, read 17,794,724 times
Well, you don't work or go to school.... so you are some guys mistress. You better be achieving some GPA somewhere.....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-06-2016, 12:16 AM

33 posts, read 15,224 times
This is his personality, and you're excusing it by associating it with his age. Class doesn't depend on age. He is being a tool.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:22 AM

5,891 posts, read 3,345,838 times
It's probably a little bit of both. But by not working or going to school, you are actually kind of old school too I guess, even if you don't intend to be. The way he responded to your request seems condescending.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:22 AM

1,480 posts, read 843,492 times
I don't think it's an age thing. You have to make your contribution to the relationship somehow otherwise you're just a mooch. If I was working really hard to provide for both of us, I'ld be pretty miffed if I had to also do work around the house which is why such a relationship is not for me.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:23 AM

38,837 posts, read 38,065,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinew View Post
This is his personality, and you're excusing it by associating it with his age. Class doesn't depend on age. He is being a tool.
"Gas, grass or azz."

Once a proud sticker on the shag carpeted vans of the 70's.

While I agree this guy is being a bit on the tool-ish side, this woman isn't working, isn't going to school, WTH??? This guy's delivery is flawed, but not necessarily the message.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:40 AM

6,154 posts, read 2,335,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
"Gas, grass or azz...
...nobody rides for free."

Not an age thing. I would probably quit asking for help around the house, since you don't like the response, and it's not going to change. How much does one pay for rent, utilities, groceries, entertainment....that's what you're earning in place of outside work and wages.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:44 AM

27,887 posts, read 17,794,724 times
You are wondering what you value is outside of a 70s paradigm is?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-06-2016, 12:47 AM

13,674 posts, read 11,140,544 times
You gotta pay rent somehow, Lol.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:52 AM

25,558 posts, read 24,272,739 times
It sounds like he wants to "install" a housekeeper/prostitute into his home, so you get a job, get out and let it be some other woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or