Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:42 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,159,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
trolls?? You folks come across trolls in the forums Well I will say I see that term slung around quite a bit and often it does not really apply to the slingee...it is more like one member is in major disagreement with another on the hot topic of the moment That said when you do run into one of these trolls remember....don't feed em and they'll soon go away, one way or the other ...
You are completely right da jammer. Now I know why you get paid the big bucks,lol! I use to get upset at the personal attacks or sarcasm but have since grown up and have learned that if you ignore and don't respond that they will go away not having anything to feed on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:12 PM

4,720 posts, read 15,555,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
trolls?? You folks come across trolls in the forums Well I will say I see that term slung around quite a bit and often it does not really apply to the slingee...it is more like one member is in major disagreement with another on the hot topic of the moment That said when you do run into one of these trolls remember....don't feed em and they'll soon go away, one way or the other ...
The obvious one some of us were speaking of has ,, POOF , just gone. Those with Different opinons are not trolls. Annoying, childish posters with nonsense to distract- thats what I'm talking about.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:21 AM

28,840 posts, read 30,076,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
The obvious one some of us were speaking of has ,, POOF , just gone. Those with Different opinons are not trolls. Annoying, childish posters with nonsense to distract- thats what I'm talking about.
I suppose this is the boarderline for which we must decide. Annoying childish posters with nonsense to distract. I have seen some very nonsensical threads started by those I know are members, including myself...and my question is...say, a new person who is somewhat childish, naieve and perhaps a bit nonsensical comes in and starts posting...and we automatically think they're trolls...but in fact, were attracted to the thread, b/c they agree or disagree. Lets face it, we all know people get their feathers ruffled when others so not agree...it is human nature...b/c we want to be valadated, and approval for our actions, why? Because we want to be liked....

Automatically, we assume, that person IS a troll, but they are not...which, again, it happened to me. I wasn't familiar with the forum, and started a thread....I was called a troll, at which time, I had no idea what a troll was, but took offense, b/c I was very serious about my post and wanted advice. But...I was new...and it was a controversial subject where a lot of young girls took it personal and became very nasty, because they disagreed...so nasty, they started swearing and really acting none lady like...so, I left...and found City Data.

So, we as humans should be cautious, I agree, but what upsets me, for a lack of better words...is the fact that we sometimes automatically assume and point fingers when there are cases where people are not trolls and we chance them away.

So, now that I know what a troll is...can we drop the cases of extreme harrassiment from those who were, and maybe discuss the harm we can do to those who are not....perhaps chasing them away...I suppose what I'm trying to say is...by experiences we become suspicious...but I remember a while back...people writing me about the one who was a great writer and putting a story in here for all to read. It was to me, a great work of literature...and my question is..what did it matter, people were being entertained by it...and to me, it was like reading a book. I did suspect...yes, but I thought "who cares" he's a great writer, probably looking for valadation, and yes, to see how far he could go....but does something like that really matter....I mean, yes, I was fooled in the very beginning...but further along, I was sure he was a troll....simply writing a story...did he harm anyone...no...did he fool us, yes...some not as long as others....but what was the harm?

Does anyone understand where I coming from or even what I'm trying to project....and in that particular instance, who is worse, he for fooling us, or we for out right suspiction and name calling in the end? That is what bothers me a little....that maybe we hurt a soul by doing such? I dunno, maybe that sounds pretty lame to you all, but it hurts inside to see it...even if they are a troll....so what, if they're not doing any harm...really...ignore them...instead of mocking them in their thread, I guess is what I'm trying to project.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:40 AM

Ok, let me be more specific, an over the top chauvinist pig talking about his pubic hairs that go to the floor and how a woman should serve him comes to mind as well as the same guy pretending to be a female Borat talking about sex/wombs/ and trying to get a poster to hook up for a lesbian three way are just a few of the diddies, not much borderline to decide and anyone who has read these posts, if fooled, were not for long.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:01 AM

672 posts, read 2,120,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I suppose this is the boarderline for which we must decide. Annoying childish posters with nonsense to distract. I have seen some very nonsensical threads started by those I know are members, including myself...and my question is...say, a new person who is somewhat childish, naieve and perhaps a bit nonsensical comes in and starts posting...and we automatically think they're trolls...but in fact, were attracted to the thread, b/c they agree or disagree. Lets face it, we all know people get their feathers ruffled when others so not agree...it is human nature...b/c we want to be valadated, and approval for our actions, why? Because we want to be liked....

Automatically, we assume, that person IS a troll, but they are not...which, again, it happened to me. I wasn't familiar with the forum, and started a thread....I was called a troll, at which time, I had no idea what a troll was, but took offense, b/c I was very serious about my post and wanted advice. But...I was new...and it was a controversial subject where a lot of young girls took it personal and became very nasty, because they disagreed...so nasty, they started swearing and really acting none lady like...so, I left...and found City Data.

So, we as humans should be cautious, I agree, but what upsets me, for a lack of better words...is the fact that we sometimes automatically assume and point fingers when there are cases where people are not trolls and we chance them away.

So, now that I know what a troll is...can we drop the cases of extreme harrassiment from those who were, and maybe discuss the harm we can do to those who are not....perhaps chasing them away...I suppose what I'm trying to say is...by experiences we become suspicious...but I remember a while back...people writing me about the one who was a great writer and putting a story in here for all to read. It was to me, a great work of literature...and my question is..what did it matter, people were being entertained by it...and to me, it was like reading a book. I did suspect...yes, but I thought "who cares" he's a great writer, probably looking for valadation, and yes, to see how far he could go....but does something like that really matter....I mean, yes, I was fooled in the very beginning...but further along, I was sure he was a troll....simply writing a story...did he harm anyone...no...did he fool us, yes...some not as long as others....but what was the harm?

Does anyone understand where I coming from or even what I'm trying to project....and in that particular instance, who is worse, he for fooling us, or we for out right suspiction and name calling in the end? That is what bothers me a little....that maybe we hurt a soul by doing such? I dunno, maybe that sounds pretty lame to you all, but it hurts inside to see it...even if they are a troll....so what, if they're not doing any harm...really...ignore them...instead of mocking them in their thread, I guess is what I'm trying to project.

Well, I kind of see where you're coming from creme. People who just blab to be blabbing, (like I do sometimes), don't mean any harm. I scan thru a post, and if it strikes my interest, I try to put my two cents in too. I look at some posts the same way I look at certain speakers at meetings I sometimes must attend. What they say is just what I call "filler material", for the meetings. It's not doing any good, nor is it doing any harm. But, what most of us are speaking of here is entirely different. A true troll really doesn't say a lot himself. He/She will say just enough to try and get several people in a huge, heated arguement. Then, the troll will sit back and laugh because that is all he/she wanted in the first place. They usually aren't hard to spot, on here, or in real life either. And, some people really aren't trolls, but people with mental problems. Thats what I believe anyway. But, I can appreciate what you've been trying to say. Have a great day!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:58 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,772,506 times
Quote:

No, because IT DOES MATTER, on forums, when someone pretends, and isn't honest. It's not harmless, not at all. These boards are for sharing. When someone is dishonest, pretends, and lies about who they are and what they have experienced, it threatens the integrity of the entire online community. I've seen well-meaning people hurt and disillusioned after offering advice to someone, only to discover that they weren't who they said they were and had manipulated dozens of people with their "entertaining" stories. I've seen people send $$$ to folks who came onto a board and told of their financial problems --- only to find out later, that they'd been scammed out of that money! And I mean, folks who were barely getting by, themselves.

Yes, IT MATTERS when people are dishonest.

This thread just gets more and more bizarre..............................!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:22 AM

well put sundance and dennis.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
No, because IT DOES MATTER, on forums, when someone pretends, and isn't honest. It's not harmless, not at all. These boards are for sharing. When someone is dishonest, pretends, and lies about who they are and what they have experienced, it threatens the integrity of the entire online community. I've seen well-meaning people hurt and disillusioned after offering advice to someone, only to discover that they weren't who they said they were and had manipulated dozens of people with their "entertaining" stories. I've seen people send $$$ to folks who came onto a board and told of their financial problems --- only to find out later, that they'd been scammed out of that money! And I mean, folks who were barely getting by, themselves.

Yes, IT MATTERS when people are dishonest.

This thread just gets more and more bizarre..............................!

I can honestly see your point, and I apologize for such a bizarre thread....sorry to waste anyone's time....really, I was just trying to make a point and at the same time understand...

I'm sorry Sundance, I just don't know why, it has to become insulting or cruel...bizarre as it may seem, I was simply trying to understand...and now...my feelings are hurt...and your not even a troll

I love to participate...but I cannot understand, why we cannot be kind to each other...instead of insulting....

again..so sorry to waste anyone's time.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
Well, I kind of see where you're coming from creme. People who just blab to be blabbing, (like I do sometimes), don't mean any harm. I scan thru a post, and if it strikes my interest, I try to put my two cents in too. I look at some posts the same way I look at certain speakers at meetings I sometimes must attend. What they say is just what I call "filler material", for the meetings. It's not doing any good, nor is it doing any harm. But, what most of us are speaking of here is entirely different. A true troll really doesn't say a lot himself. He/She will say just enough to try and get several people in a huge, heated arguement. Then, the troll will sit back and laugh because that is all he/she wanted in the first place. They usually aren't hard to spot, on here, or in real life either. And, some people really aren't trolls, but people with mental problems. Thats what I believe anyway. But, I can appreciate what you've been trying to say. Have a great day!
Dennis, your always so kind and patient, and I value your ethics on this forum...you are an attribute to good conversation...thanks so much ...

oh, and I blab way more then you and my writing skills are atroschusus...along with my spelling skills, and reading skills...but I sure can dance....LOL

Hugs
Creme

Last edited by cremebrulee; 02-22-2008 at 01:15 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 02:04 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,772,506 times
Quote:
I can honestly see your point, and I apologize for such a bizarre thread....sorry to waste anyone's time....really, I was just trying to make a point and at the same time understand...

I'm sorry Sundance, I just don't know why, it has to become insulting or cruel...bizarre as it may seem, I was simply trying to understand...and now...my feelings are hurt...and your not even a troll

I love to participate...but I cannot understand, why we cannot be kind to each other...instead of insulting....
Excuse me?

I haven't insulted anyone. Yes...I *do* have very strong opinions about trolling, and I won't be made to feel badly because I spoke out against it.
I've seen quite a few people victimized and hurt by that sort of thing, and I've seen forums brought to a screaming halt because of it.
Interesting that you would take my comments so personally, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships