Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 11:52 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,308,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
On OKCupid, many women put sarcasm on their profiles and they seem to be quite proud of it.

Is sarcasm considered a good quality in a great partner? Does sarcasm make a woman more attractive? or witty? or cool?

Give an example.

I like a good sense of humor and sometimes sarcasm works. But I hate anyone that is mean spirited. Sometimes people can take sarcasm too far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 11:53 AM

12,946 posts, read 9,576,324 times
I'll say no.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:05 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,612,138 times
I have a feeling a lot of people who tout "sarcasm" as a good trait in their profiles don't really know what sarcasm is. As others have said, sarcasm is essentially negative, and I'm not sure who would consider a hugely sarcastic person a good partner. I do think being sarcastic at times can be appropriate and funny in certain situations, but all the time...? Nah.

What they probably mean is more of a sharp wit that CapsChick mentioned, or perhaps a wry sense of humor, or even facetiousness (a facetious comment can be similar to a sarcastic one but it is generally lighter/less insulting).

Old 08-07-2016, 12:06 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,343,448 times
Playful, witty banter is great, and something my husband and I engage in all the time. Neither of us is particularly sarcastic. I can be snarky is certain situations, typically in discussions or debates, but in my personal interactions with people? No. Not my thing.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:47 PM

22,332 posts, read 47,298,153 times
sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt

To mock, to show contempt - no way those are good things.
So, not a desirable quality....
Wit is much better!

Old 08-07-2016, 05:34 PM

3,156 posts, read 3,333,547 times
Ha ha. I learned that lesson. A guy I briefly dated was quite sarcastic. Turns out he was a low-grade hoarder. Nothing like I witnessed on t.v. His living room and kitchen/dining area was always somewhat tidy. The rest looked like a tornado went through it with garbage laying all over. One day, I could of sworn I saw something move underneath the trash laying on the floor like a mouse. Or maybe it was my imagination.

He was also overly generous with his close friends that he could enable in some way then at the same time complained about his money issues.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:51 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,295,512 times
There is no benefit in sarcasm, which begins and ends in anger. Remove the anger and wit remains. Take wit, intelligence, thoughtful discourse, playful banter, flirtatious exchanges, and gentle double entendres (in the beginning). Communicate long, wildly, delicately and unabashedly, as a way of knowing who a person is and how they work. Dance with your words and your intentions, but be direct in your meanings. Create, clarify, emphasize, and establish your capacities as an articulate human being. Keep sarcasm out of all of it. It never ends well.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:16 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,163,693 times
In one's sense of humor telling jokes, it is probably fine. I think lawyers and politicians have become fair game for sarcastic humor too (lol...for a long time now!), along with long waits anywhere, and slow service at restaurants that don't seem real busy. If used to demean the other person or someone they or the partner care about, then not so much. Depends on the situation. It is best to use only on occasion; in moderation. If the partner also thrives on some sarcasm, it could be an asset. If they don't, it won't. Really that simple IMO.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,347,178 times
I had a longtime boyfriend whose family (dad and brothers; his mom was lovely, but she was mostly out of the picture) was insanely cruel, critical, and mocking of most people and things, and sarcasm was their default mode...they were essentially scornful of everything and everybody not them. They were so unpleasant, truly awful people to be around, and my ex, who's nature was not like that, had horrific self esteem from being belittled by them and often a target of their sarcasm for years and years. I noticed, though, over time, that whenever we'd spend time around them (not often, they lived half a continent away), it would rub off on him. He'd end up adopting it to try to fit in/deflect the sarcasm away from himself. It was so dysfunctional and awful.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:31 AM

86 posts, read 82,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
On OKCupid, many women put sarcasm on their profiles and they seem to be quite proud of it.

Is sarcasm considered a good quality in a great partner? Does sarcasm make a woman more attractive? or witty? or cool?
Can't stand it. It's like a false sense of superiority. To me it makes the person look like shriveled up prune with a lemon in their mouth. Life is too short! Bye Bye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships