Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 02:11 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times

Advertisements

Pushy would be insisting you drop your plans becuase they should be more important to you than whatever you have planned.

Asking if you would reconsider your plans is nothing more than just showing they really want to spend some time together as you are currently an importance to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 03:31 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You are most likely right. The extension of your logic is sometimes applied to sexual harassment to a degree. If a dude is hot and being a bit sexually flirty it's more often seen as him being a little assertive and sorta a touch of being bad boy, if the guy is a fat slob, oh yeah, definitely starts to slip over into sexual harassment. LOL, I'm just sayingvery loosely here, I don't want women getting offended. I realize the true sexual harassment goes beyond this, I've sat my time in those work related seminars, I'm just saying loosely here.

So no mean reps people.

These two statements, along with my health, was the reason why I started loosing weight and keeping it off. It's all about perception, and someone who has a more approachable physical appearance, is going to tend to get more favorable results. I was starting to look into transitioning into sales, and my weight wasn't going to get the job done. My confidence undoubtedly improves when I look in the mirror and I can say that I look good. When I believe it, other people "may" believe it too. Once again, it's all about perception.

A lot of life is competition base and anything you can do (legally) that will give you a competitive advantage over the competition should be explored, if you desire to move up the peg board of life. Dating is no different, since like tends to date like, and water tends to seek its own level. If you want to change the types of people you attract, you have to start with yourself first. Life works its way inwards before it goes outwards.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
LOL... true, there's that reaction too.

I think that sometimes texting is a double edge sword, people can't get tone or inflection and if you don't use emoticon you can't always tell like you can in person. That is one of the problems with using texting too much. I've seen thread after thread over the years here where people are questioning something in a text and my standard answer is use texting for simple quickie one way type message such as "running late" or "I'll call later" type of things. One shouldn't be crafting their latest opus via text message.

The downside of not texting much is when you're dealing with distance and/or a work life balance. Say for instance you're a single parent, or a parent who only has every other weekend off from their kid(s). In the early stages of dating, and even longer if you so wish, it's in your best interest to shield your children from your love life, since you never know how long that love interest is going to remain in the picture.

Texting can definitely bridge that gap. I know for me, the more I'm involved face to face with a person, the more relaxed I am. However, depending on work/life balance that can become difficult. Sure, if you wanted to see the person you would make the time, but that's not always true either. Mostly so for people in college or higher learning programs, where you actually have finances involved to where you want to make the best of that investment. I've dealt with this personally from my perspective of cutting things to a crawl because of my educational needs, and vice versa. It's really hard to rebound from those scenarios, unless you're truly on the same page as the person making the request.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:40 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
These two statements, along with my health, was the reason why I started loosing weight and keeping it off. It's all about perception, and someone who has a more approachable physical appearance, is going to tend to get more favorable results. I was starting to look into transitioning into sales, and my weight wasn't going to get the job done. My confidence undoubtedly improves when I look in the mirror and I can say that I look good. When I believe it, other people "may" believe it too. Once again, it's all about perception.

A lot of life is competition base and anything you can do (legally) that will give you a competitive advantage over the competition should be explored, if you desire to move up the peg board of life. Dating is no different, since like tends to date like, and water tends to seek its own level. If you want to change the types of people you attract, you have to start with yourself first. Life works its way inwards before it goes outwards.
This post is reeking of personal responsibility and common sense. People now want things handed to them people now expect too much in all facets of life, work, relationships, etc etc. We as a society are migrating to far to the left, too much of a nanny state mentality is taking over.

If you want anything in life you have to work for it, you have to compete with others, to a degree at least, but people don't wanna hear that sorta talk, it's a little too insensitive and might hurt people's feelings. Everyone gets a trophy, right??? When I was growing up you know that 2nd place was, "the first loser" LOL.......

Old 08-09-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
The downside of not texting much is when you're dealing with distance and/or a work life balance. Say for instance you're a single parent, or a parent who only has every other weekend off from their kid(s). In the early stages of dating, and even longer if you so wish, it's in your best interest to shield your children from your love life, since you never know how long that love interest is going to remain in the picture.

Texting can definitely bridge that gap. I know for me, the more I'm involved face to face with a person, the more relaxed I am. However, depending on work/life balance that can become difficult. Sure, if you wanted to see the person you would make the time, but that's not always true either. Mostly so for people in college or higher learning programs, where you actually have finances involved to where you want to make the best of that investment. I've dealt with this personally from my perspective of cutting things to a crawl because of my educational needs, and vice versa. It's really hard to rebound from those scenarios, unless you're truly on the same page as the person making the request.

I wasn't saying I was against texting per se, heck I was getting the car serviced a few days ago and was sitting in the lobby watching TV and send Mrs. Chow two or three texts, but again, it was just simple goofy things, not major convo's, but whatever works for people.

I'm actually beginning to like texting a whole lot more these days as I'm starting to setup alerts for say things like prescription refills and stuff like that.

I still think that anything other than just sorta checking in with someone with a few quickie messages is problably better on the phone, generally speaking.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
This post is reeking of personal responsibility and common sense. People now want things handed to them people now expect too much in all facets of life, work, relationships, etc etc. We as a society are migrating to far to the left, too much of a nanny state mentality is taking over.

If you want anything in life you have to work for it, you have to compete with others, to a degree at least, but people don't wanna hear that sorta talk, it's a little too insensitive and might hurt people's feelings. Everyone gets a trophy, right??? When I was growing up you know that 2nd place was, "the first loser" LOL.......

Of course. Everything good and bad in my life has happened on my accord. I had to figure out how to change the scenario to better suit my future outlook. I'm always changing and evolving, because I tend to get bored if things become too stagnant. Mainly due to the fact when things become routine, you tend to get lazy and cease to seek a better you. I'm not saying you always need to be transitioning jobs or changing your hair color, but there's something to be said for someone who can make a terrible situation better.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:48 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:

Well that's one thing I'll agree with mate! LOL

The last couple of years I've put on weight and don't look the same as I once did ( my profile picture on here was a year ago and but I'm slightly better now and am working on getting another stone off ) which I'm doing through work (scaffolding in construction ).

Now this is purely self inflicted with just not looking after myself and especially bad eating.. And yeah my confidence suffered a bit of course. I know I'm alright at talking to women and approaching but as you say looking at yourself in the mirror and looking good really does boost your confidence

I wasn't that bad that I thought people wouldn't take interest in me as such which to be honest I think it's proof that it's mainly in our heads than reality .... Basically when we think " oh I've put on weight so people won't want to engage or even look at me " sort of thing it's not necessarily true

In short we all know that we are our own worst critics

Old 08-09-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Well that's one thing I'll agree with mate! LOL

The last couple of years I've put on weight and don't look the same as I once did ( my profile picture on here was a year ago and but I'm slightly better now and am working on getting another stone off ) which I'm doing through work (scaffolding in construction ).

Now this is purely self inflicted with just not looking after myself and especially bad eating.. And yeah my confidence suffered a bit of course. I know I'm alright at talking to women and approaching but as you say looking at yourself in the mirror and looking good really does boost your confidence

I wasn't that bad that I thought people wouldn't take interest in me as such which to be honest I think it's proof that it's mainly in our heads than reality .... Basically when we think " oh I've put on weight so people won't want to engage or even look at me " sort of thing it's not necessarily true

In short we all know that we are our own worst critics

I choose the words "fat slob" up thread on purpose. I'm turning into a fat slob right about now, I've got to get back on track, being off of work all this time and enjoying a little too much vino has killed my waistline. I would be on jobsites and would probably clock in 4 to 5 miles a day just walking around taking care of things at work. I never realized how much it helped in keeping the weight down. I'm having a couple of minor physical issues that are preventing me from really getting any work done in the gym. I can lose weight at a pretty decent clip when I can hit the gym and cut back on the garbage in my diet.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:33 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:

OMG, this makes so much sense.

You nailed it!

Old 08-10-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
OMG, this makes so much sense.

You nailed it!

It's why dating can and does frustrate me. In most things that I am involved in that I produce I'm usually towards the top or the middle of the pack. With dating, I literally feel like I'm worse than placing last, I place DNF (did not finish)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships