Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 06:43 PM

86 posts, read 82,700 times

Advertisements

Affairs are a betrayal of trust. In the end it's the betrayal because your trust is gone. Many people try to patch it up even after knowing they had sex but can't trust them again.

I think it's even hard for cheaters who try and get together because they know how they were able to lie and deceive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 06:59 PM

19 posts, read 11,411 times
Finding out your mate told someone else they loved them is very painful , To me far worse than a casual oopsie

Some people will say they cheated but never divulge that it was more than a hit and quit because they know its more forgivable for some .

Old 08-12-2016, 07:35 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
There are different ways to betray a partner, and I think they are all really hurtful and damaging to a relationship. The two you ask about in your OP are, to me, equally damaging to a relationship. I would have difficulty moving past either of those. I would most likely feel more humiliated by a long affair, but a one-night-stand would make me wonder how many of those had taken place in the past. I'm not sure I've heard of a lot of people who really make the one "mistake" and never stray again.

I'm sorry you've been hurt in that way before.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:47 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Both would be fatal to the relationship.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
No one is going to be in a situation of having to choose. Why even ask?
...well, the cheated-on wouldn't get to choose...but it almost sounds like the OP is trying to figure out what they can more likely get away with if they had an affair.

Ooops...so sorry OP...I see you WERE the one cheated on. I do think it's one of those situations where whatever it is that you had to live through seems to be the worst, just because with something so terrible it's hard to imagine that anything could be worse.

Like when I got divorced the big comparison was, which is worse - your spouse dying or getting divorced? Or, is it "better" to have gotten divorced over something "big" like an affair or for "nothing" because they weren't even leaving you for someone else? You play terrible games with yourself, but it's all hard, no matter what it is.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:57 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
A one night stand is giving your body away, an affair is giving your heart and your body away.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-12-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...well, the cheated-on wouldn't get to choose...but it almost sounds like the OP is trying to figure out what they can more likely get away with if they had an affair.

NOT AT ALL ! I am single now that I kicked my mate to the curb for cheating on me .

Old 08-12-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A one night stand is giving your body away, an affair is giving your heart and your body away.
This is very true!

Old 08-12-2016, 08:02 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Cheating is cheating, but I think the longer term affair is worse, the "one of" incident might be easier to swallow, IDK. Haven't been in either position, so just guessing here.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:05 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It basically is no right or wrong. Just depends on people's priorities. Some think they're both dump-worthy and equal. Others will think the affair is better. And some think the ONS is better.

I was reading a story years ago with that. This person felt an emotional affair was the lesser evil.

Guy admits to SO that he slept with other people. He tries to make it seem better by saying they didn't mean anything. And his SO felt that was worse, that they'd be selfish enough to cast aside their partner's feelings all for quick sex with people he cared nothing about. So, their SO felt he hurt them, someone they claim to love, over people he had no feelings for. Then mentioned if it were at least someone he did care for, it'd be understandable to be torn between your love and loyalty to both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships