Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 12:13 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times

Advertisements

I am the worst at the whole giving presents thing. I never remember (with Valentines Day, birthdays, first date anniversary, fathers day, winter holidays, and wedding anniversaries, I'm pretty much always needing to be thinking of the next present for him!) until the last minute.

Which would be fine, except that he shuns anything storebought. He only wants homemade gifts, which he in turn dedicates a lot of time doing for me. I'd rather he wouldn't, because I just can't compete with that! He's very artistically inclined and devoted to a certain gift idea for a long time, whereas I'd just give him a gift card if I could get away with it!

I usually manage to think of something, but I'm drawing a blank now, because I've used up all my ideas via previous gifts, or what he got me.

Any ideas for a last minute idea that is quick/easy to do for someone NOT arts/crafts-inclined, that will seem epic?

Our wedding anniversary is in a few weeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 12:36 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times

If it is not store bought ... then you would have to get arts and crafty right?

1. Make him a meal
2. I made a memory book of photos and things that my boy freinds and me did together.... he actually seemed really touched and said it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for him. Then he dumped me 2 years later and that work of art probably got tossed lol. What a bloody waste of my time
3. Write him a poem or song
4. Make him cookie roses ... or a box of chocolate covered strawberries
5. Record or film you talking about a special memory together ex like an adversary message

I did stuff like this when dating.... by the time I was married I was like to hell with this lol here is your bottle or perfume or clothes. It is pretty cool that he is still willing to be creative. The last gift I got from my husband was a handful of cash with a suggestion to buy a piece of jewelry and a warning that if it cost more he did not mind if I put in the difference with my own money to get what I wanted ex a polite way of saying and this is all I am giving you the spend !

Good luck

Old 08-13-2016, 04:58 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
I am so happy that my husband is easy. A homemade meal and sex and he is happy as can be

Some good ideas from klmrocks. How sentimental is your husband? What does he like to do? Hobbies? A photo collage of your special moments is nice. A special night for him where you do anything he wants, do a strip tease for him. Need more info about him

Old 08-13-2016, 05:00 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,603 times
Hmmm. Let’s review.

“He shuns anything storebought. He only wants homemade gifts. He dedicates a lot of time doing (that) for me (but) I'd rather he wouldn't. I just can't compete with that. He's very artistically inclined. I'd just give him a gift card if I could get away with it.”

I hope someone’s keeping score because I just can’t keep up!

As for a, “last minute idea that is quick/easy to do for someone NOT arts/crafts-inclined, that will seem epic?” anything that comes from the heart is epic.

Has he actually stated he only wants homemade gifts?

Hmmm.

Last edited by Corvette Ministries; 08-13-2016 at 05:22 AM..

Old 08-13-2016, 05:01 AM

11,794 posts, read 12,027,255 times
Set calendar reminders a few weeks in advance of each occasion so you're not caught by surprise and scrambling.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:25 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,522,541 times
What about a journal/diary/scrapbook of your time together and empathising your love for one another?

Basically like a timeline of when you first met, fell in love, got married and so on?. Even with old photos, your feelings, funny moments between you etc.

You're right and it is a hard one. However ^^^^ obviously is not a 5 minute job but the amount of effort you have put into making it for me would melt my heart in truth..... I'm sure it would his

Old 08-13-2016, 09:06 AM

214 posts, read 176,414 times
A stick!

Old 08-13-2016, 10:03 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,806 times
This seems like a lot of pressure to be putting on yourself. A great experience eclipses a gift any day. Plan something special for the two of you to do together. He has his mode of expression...yours doesn't need to be the same.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:05 AM

15 posts, read 21,530 times
I also think that giving him an 'experience' can be a very special way of making memories. It doesn't have to be skydiving or water-skiing (unless he likes those things!) but something like an 'alternative' sight-seeing trip of your town or following a river to its source can be very romantic. You could make it into a game like organising a mini 'treasure hunt' for you both.

For home-made gifts, you could grow him a plant from seed, collate favourite photos and music on a slideshow or digital photo frame (I wish mix tapes were still a thing!), you could find a nice piece of wood, decorate it and attach luggage tags to it to write on something you love about him for every year you've been together, or write happy memories on, or leave some of them blank to create new memories.

You could make up a scent for him using a massage carrier oil and essential oils (do research into the correct ratio of oils, their individual benefits etc) and give him a nice massage.

Take a beautiful photo of your favourite place and have it printed and framed.

Not all of these are very last-minute ideas but might help with some inspiration!

Old 08-16-2016, 08:59 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,233 times
Sign yourselves up for a cooking class that you'd take together.

Sign yourself up for a home improvement class (like at Home Depot) and take him to lunch somewhere cool afterwards.

Cross stitch him a special Christmas stocking that he can use every year (I did this for my husband for our first Christmas - the top is a Santa dressed like a Green Bay Packer throwing a football, and the material for the body is football themed).

Make him his very favorite dessert, or dinner. Or both! Or go all out and do breakfast, lunch AND dinner and dessert.

Surprise him during the day with a picnic lunch that you've cooked special food for. (No tuna salad sandwiches or bologna roll ups - I'm thinking gourmet quality picnic.)

Get a big plastic jug and decorate it (like the kind cheese poofs come in like you'd find at an office or something), then get little scraps of colored paper and write favors on them that you will do for him - he can pull one out whenever he wants and redeem them.

Get him a home beer brewing kit.

Get him a beekeeping set up and the bees to go with it so he can make small quantities of honey (obviously you'd have to have a house to do this. Saw something like it on Shark Tank.)

Figure out a way for YOU to not lose track of these dates so you don't have to do this last minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships