Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 03:11 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,232 times

Advertisements

My fiancé admitted to me not very long after we had first gotten together, that I almost blew it with her from the very beginning because of shyness. She said it was only because of her interest level being so high, that it didn't turn her off. Thank god I didn't meet her just 2 or 3 years earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 03:37 PM

511 posts, read 402,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are pockets of the US where young guys still wear long hair. Not counting the new fad for growing it long and wearing it in a bun. Northern NM and Santa Cruz, CA, are two of those pockets--a breath of fresh air in a country where shaving it all off has been the fashion for far too long. I haven't seen Polymath with long hair, but I've seen his doppelganger with long hair, and he looks great. The local ladies concur.

But, whatever.
True. It's not just pockets, long hair is semi-popular again with the young alt/hip/whathaveyou crowds pretty much anywhere. Like I've said before, I'm a metal guy: Long hair (and beards to boot) have always been a fixture in that crowd, though I'd say amongst modern metal guys fewer have it long than ever before... even then it's a decent percentage.

But then, you're talking about the young crowd. I'm not a young guy. I'm 39. Most twenty-three year old girls cool with long hair or man-buns probably aren't even coming across my profile, and probably think my age is creepy and gross (I don't want to date someone in that phase of life anyway). When I did have it long, it also seemed novel with like 45+ plus women too... which grew up with the glam rock thing and I guess that's the appeal. That was completely a generation before me. I was a late bloomer from the very end of Gen X. BTW, how old are you, Ruth?

I'm pretty certain the vast majority of women in my "target market", let's call them well-out-of-college and into-careers, but not build-a-Brady-Bunch second marriage or heading-towards-empty-nesting, think long hair on guys is a show stopper. I could be wrong, though. All I can say is just about everyone on several advice forums (including a lot of women in said "target market") said it was a deal breaker over-and-over-and-over-and-over again. I couldn't even ask advice about anything else as it would instantly turn into a "cut your hair!" conversation again. Eventually I cut it for functional reasons... and my dating life still sucks... so obviously there's more "wrong" with me than just that.

Last edited by Mr_Polymath; 08-16-2016 at 05:00 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 04:55 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
True. It's not just pockets, long hair is semi-popular again with the young alt/hipster crowds pretty much anywhere. Like I've said before, I'm a metal guy: Long hair (and beards to boot) have always been a fixture in that crowd, though I'd say amongst modern metal guys fewer have it long than ever before... even then it's a decent percentage.

But then, you're talking about the young crowd. I'm not a young guy. I'm 39. Twenty-three year old girls cool with long hair or man buns aren't even seeing my profile, and probably think my age is creepy and gross. When I had it long, it also seemed novel with like 45+ plus women too... which grew up with the glam rock thing and I guess that's the appeal. That was completely a generation before me. I was a late bloomer from the very end of Gen X.

I was just at the store today and saw some late 40's early 50's guy with long hair and an Avenge Sevenfold t-shirt on. I'm mid 40's and usually always have mine in a ponytail. I don't hardly ever see guys in their 20's with long hair, I take note of it because I'm thinking of whacking mine off because most of the time when I see long hair on a dude it's guys near my age and I don't wanna be that stereotypical old metalhead guy, even though that's pretty much what I am. LOL.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:18 PM

511 posts, read 402,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was just at the store today and saw some late 40's early 50's guy with long hair and an Avenge Sevenfold t-shirt on. I'm mid 40's and usually always have mine in a ponytail. I don't hardly ever see guys in their 20's with long hair, I take note of it because I'm thinking of whacking mine off because most of the time when I see long hair on a dude it's guys near my age and I don't wanna be that stereotypical old metalhead guy, even though that's pretty much what I am. LOL.
Ha ha. A7X are old hat at this point. These days, I'm into stuff like Northlane, Periphery, Architects, Destrage, etc. Not very nostalgic or still doing the old stuff (no disrespect to the progenitors). I'm actually not the stereotypical aging metal guy. Def don't want to look like it.

That said, if you go to any hip bar (like Casey Moore's or Cresent Ballroom here in PHX) full of mostly twenty-somethings, there's plenty of young guys rocking long hair. Some are indie/garage rock guys, some are metalheads, stoner rock, post-metal guys, some are just hipsters keeping up with the urban Joneses and their man-buns. It's pretty popular again in general.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:25 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
How long do you keep your hair? I dated a few men with neck-length hair. I actually really like long hair on men, at least the kind able to pull it off. My son's hair is to his shoulders. He's adorable. He has big ringlets at the bottom. He gets a lot of attention for it, though old school generation think it's inappropriate for boys to have long hair.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:29 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
But then, you're talking about the young crowd. I'm not a young guy. I'm 39..
Wow, if the photo on your profile is fairly recent, you do look young. Well, at your age, whether or not you can look good with long hair depends on how thick it is.

Oh well. I tried.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:32 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
How long do you keep your hair? I dated a few men with neck-length hair. I actually really like long hair on men, at least the kind able to pull it off. My son's hair is to his shoulders. He's adorable. He has big ringlets at the bottom. He gets a lot of attention for it, though old school generation think it's inappropriate for boys to have long hair.
It's about mid back. I just chopped off a couple of inches recently. Lol definitely well past my shoulders.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:33 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
My fiancé admitted to me not very long after we had first gotten together, that I almost blew it with her from the very beginning because of shyness. She said it was only because of her interest level being so high, that it didn't turn her off. Thank god I didn't meet her just 2 or 3 years earlier.
Yep. Don't be shy. If you are change it. It is not an admirable quality for a man. You will be growing old alone.

A cute woman, well that's ok in my book. I have no problems with a shy lady as long as she's ok with being around me in time.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 548 times
Girls do care about looks and height don't fool yourself. I was always insecure because I was skinny so I started working out and girls took notice. Unfortunately for me I'm shy and never take initiative so the girls always moved on.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:57 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,224,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie9800 View Post
Girls do care about looks and height don't fool yourself. I was always insecure because I was skinny so I started working out and girls took notice. Unfortunately for me I'm shy and never take initiative so the girls always moved on.
You were skinny, started exercising and got results.

You are shy, start talking to people, attend toastmasters etc to build up your confidence & you will also get results.

If you don't change a thing then things will remain the same. Surely you can see that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships