Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:41 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've made a conscious decision over the years to really work hard to not use certain words that are too encompassing. I never say "all women/men do this" I've even worked to get it down from "most" to just "some." If you generalize about a given subject whatever it happens to be it puts you on firmer ground to say "some", that covers your bases. Just very loosely speaking here.

The minute is see posts that generalize too far from those particular words I usually just blow it off because you can't have a conversation with someone that isn't open to at least the possibility that their assumptions and thoughts about a subject could be wrong.

I'm an open minded guy, you provide enough valid data to support a POV shift I'll gladly go along if the information is compelling. Some people stubbornly cling to their erroneous ideas almost to the point of taking it personally to be proved wrong, if they are indeed wrong.
I'm the same way.

I usually always say things like "a lot", "some", "most", etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 07:41 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've made a conscious decision over the years to really work hard to not use certain words that are too encompassing. I never say "all women/men do this" I've even worked to get it down from "most" to just "some." If you generalize about a given subject whatever it happens to be it puts you on firmer ground to say "some", that covers your bases. Just very loosely speaking here.

The minute is see posts that generalize too far from those particular words I usually just blow it off because you can't have a conversation with someone that isn't open to at least the possibility that their assumptions and thoughts about a subject could be wrong.

I'm an open minded guy, you provide enough valid data to support a POV shift I'll gladly go along if the information is compelling. Some people stubbornly cling to their erroneous ideas almost to the point of taking it personally to be proved wrong, if they are indeed wrong.
I agree. There is just no talking to people like that, they are too set in their ways and attempt to keep everything under control by clinging to their irrational beliefs about the other gender. If a person continues to have such difficulty with the opposite sex then they are either incredibly unlucky (very rarely) or the problem lies within themselves (90% of the time.) I can understand frustration but allowing it to condition your thinking to such an extreme extent is....disconcerting. To say the least.

However, I do find it incredibly annoying to see such statements. I'm getting better with ignoring it though, I know I would probably never take interest in someone who was that angry. At least I hope not.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:11 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarney View Post
Again, you don't understand because you have not had to struggle.

It's kind of like Donald Trump talking about what it's like to be poor. Well, if he lost all of his money tomorrow and had to rely on food stamps, he might have a different take on things.

If you lost your looks tomorrow, I think you would be more empathetic to those less fortunate than you.
Life is easier for attractive women and handsome men whether want to deny it or not people treat you better. And what I have seen (even on this forum) is that many attractive people don't really have any empathy for other people's struggles. They have had it easy and don't understand why others struggle not just in relationships but life itself. Instead of being helpful, they attack you to a point to drive you into a nervous break. If I were to talk anyone with a problem I'd go to a less attractive person because they are nicer and understand struggles. Attractive people do not.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:16 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Life is easier for attractive women and handsome men whether want to deny it or not people treat you better. And what I have seen (even on this forum) is that many attractive people don't really have any empathy for other people's struggles. They have had it easy and don't understand why others struggle not just in relationships but life itself. Instead of being helpful, they attack you to a point to drive you into a nervous break. If I were to talk anyone with a problem I'd go to a less attractive person because they are nicer and understand struggles. Attractive people do not.
Good generalizations. Please read the posts above yours for more detail on this annoying habit.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:20 PM

64 posts, read 55,448 times
Quote:
Attractive people just don't understand that life is not as easy for the majority of people as it is for them. This is why whenever an attractive person is having a difficult time in life, you can't help but laugh. They finally get their just desserts.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbcrazycatlady View Post
Good generalizations. Please read the posts above yours for more detail on this annoying habit.
Generalizations I have found out to be a fact. I just read the posts by some of the women on here and they don't empathize with many of the male posters at all. I know of only one woman poster I'd go to for advice and that's JerZ.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecutty69 View Post
Attractive people just don't understand that life is not as easy for the majority of people as it is for them. This is why whenever an attractive person is having a difficult time in life, you can't help but laugh. They finally get their just desserts.
Well I wouldn't go that far because nobody deserves that even if you hate them.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
[quote=acecutty69;45242087]Attractive people just don't understand that life is not as easy for the majority of people as it is for them. This is why whenever an attractive person is having a difficult time in life, you can't help but laugh. They finally get their just desserts.[/quote

BS everyone has a point in their lives when they have difficult times and it has nothing to do with being attractive, rich, poor, short, tall, thin, fat or any other human trait.
It has everything to do with being a human who is alive.
It is sad that you wish ill will on others because of your self induced slight by society though.
By the way, if so many *unattractive* people have it so tough how do they date, get married, have children, be successful at their career and live what many would consider a good life?

Old 08-23-2016, 10:30 PM

64 posts, read 55,448 times
Quote:
Generalizations I have found out to be a fact. I just read the posts by some of the women on here and they don't empathize with many of the male posters at all. I know of only one woman poster I'd go to for advice and that's JerZ.
Look at that girl's picture that's being all nasty in this thread. Of course she doesn't have empathy. She has no idea what it's like to be poor sack men.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:30 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
You do not know what a fact is then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzLK2n2_Zw0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships