Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:16 PM

72 posts, read 39,297 times

Advertisements

After having a pretty bad experience w/a guy who said he was interested, then faded, I'm just trying to make sure I don't get into the same trap. I met a guy online and we have video chatted. We really like each other and one day plan on visiting one another. The thing I want to make sure is that he is genuinely interested. Once in awhile he doesn't text back for hours, usually he apologizes or I send him one text to see what is up w/him (I haven't said anything about his slow responses).

Yesterday it took him a couple hours because he was trying to get his net to work to video chat w/me. Sometimes when I'm dealing w/a problem, I get very engrossed and frustrated. He apologized and today again after texting a bit back and forth, no response for over 5 hours. He isn't working today. Bad sign or not? We are always sending each other texts to make each other laugh and flirty ones. There was one instance where he thought he sent the text, but didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 07:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
You are in the getting to know process where each of you is determining how into the other they are.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-24-2016, 07:22 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
There is no man on the planet who will maintain the frequency of texting that starts the relationship. It doesn't happen. The number of texts WILL dwindle.

Unfortunately, the fact that you got ghosted on last time doesn't mean it won't happen again and again and again.

And it is impossible to use that as a measurement of his interest. Impossible. You just have to wait until he gets in touch with you.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:24 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmehmeh2014 View Post
After having a pretty bad experience w/a guy who said he was interested, then faded, I'm just trying to make sure I don't get into the same trap. I met a guy online and we have video chatted. We really like each other and one day plan on visiting one another. The thing I want to make sure is that he is genuinely interested. Once in awhile he doesn't text back for hours, usually he apologizes or I send him one text to see what is up w/him (I haven't said anything about his slow responses).

Yesterday it took him a couple hours because he was trying to get his net to work to video chat w/me. Sometimes when I'm dealing w/a problem, I get very engrossed and frustrated. He apologized and today again after texting a bit back and forth, no response for over 5 hours. He isn't working today. Bad sign or not? We are always sending each other texts to make each other laugh and flirty ones. There was one instance where he thought he sent the text, but didn't.
So you haven't actually met? You're just texting? It's not really a relationship till you meet. People ghost all the time online, so try not to get overly invested till you actually meet in person. Set up a date asap.

You're also sounding quite needy. Perhaps have some other things to focus on so you are not counting down the number of hours since his last text. Most people can't be texting 24/7.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:24 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
You should find guys that are closer to where you live. Otherwise, this is going to be an ongoing problem.

BTW, it isn't unusual to go for hours without texting back.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:45 PM

72 posts, read 39,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
You should find guys that are closer to where you live. Otherwise, this is going to be an ongoing problem.

BTW, it isn't unusual to go for hours without texting back.

I am open to dating guys closer, but I have yet to find one. Does that show lack of interest though, if the guy is conversing w/you every day?

Old 08-24-2016, 07:56 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Sorry, but like I always say, it's not a 'relationship' if two people never meet in person.

Who also has the time to text each other day and night constantly? I'd get seriously annoyed if someone I never met expected me to, as if I was a relationship partner.

Save the texting, and if one is serious about another person, plan to meet them in person first before thinking it's a 'relationship.'

Old 08-25-2016, 06:36 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sorry, but like I always say, it's not a 'relationship' if two people never meet in person.

Who also has the time to text each other day and night constantly? I'd get seriously annoyed if someone I never met expected me to, as if I was a relationship partner.

Save the texting, and if one is serious about another person, plan to meet them in person first before thinking it's a 'relationship.'
I agree.

The guy probably has a life. When his life gets in the way of your text messages well... Life trumps texts.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:40 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

This. This is a fantasy penpal. Nothing more.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:43 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmehmeh2014 View Post
I am open to dating guys closer, but I have yet to find one. Does that show lack of interest though, if the guy is conversing w/you every day?
No it doesn't show lack of interest. It shows that he has a life beyond immediately responding to EVERY single text he receives.

Before texting or cell phones existed people had to use actual land lines to communicate. Sometimes there were expensive long distance charges that necessitated less frequent contact with a loved one.

Personally I think the expectation that all texts be responded to promptly is unrealistic. Being plugged in 24/7 is not healthy and stress inducing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships