U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 08:06 PM

600 posts, read 495,032 times

Advertisements

Have you broken up with someone because of the pressures of work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 08:20 PM

1,260 posts, read 648,411 times
Yeah, but that's was because she was a hooker.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:32 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,455,883 times
The pressures of my work? The pressures of the other person's work? What pressures? Not sure what you're asking.

But I'll say that work has never been a factor in whether I've broken up with someone. That's not to say some of my partners' work schedules haven't bothered me greatly!

Old 08-26-2016, 09:50 PM

539 posts, read 341,669 times
Not me, but I've seen it happen several times, on both ends. Most of the time it's her needing nore attention and him working long hours to keep a roof over her head that she's ungrateful for and assumes she can get a "better deal "

Old 08-26-2016, 11:14 PM

2,765 posts, read 1,254,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
Not me, but I've seen it happen several times, on both ends. Most of the time it's her needing nore attention and him working long hours to keep a roof over her head that she's ungrateful for and assumes she can get a "better deal "
This SCREAMS what happened to my cousin. Married a girl (I NEVER liked this girl EVER! And neither did the girl who was my girlfriend at the time) and she left him after almost 10 years. They have one kid together. He used to work 60+ hours a week sometimes, just to go out and get her the little extras. You know, the new cars, the fancy jewelry, material things. Once he started losing hours at work when the economic problems were happening in the late 00's, she high tailed it outta there and left him for a guy that was his friend! He found out by finding a pre paid phone she was using around the house and his number was calling it!

And working those 60 hours did nothing for him. He filed bankruptcy two years later, his house (which he's now renting out and for less each month than what his monthly payments are) is falling apart and an albatross. It appears to be in disrepair. His life is mostly back in order though, but seeing what happened to him is why I'll never work 60 hours a week consistently, if I don't have to. I can now if I want to, but I make more than enough working 40 or 45 tops and have a very flexible schedule.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:29 AM

1,573 posts, read 825,853 times
My work situation completely destroyed one of my relationships. One of my biggest regrets that still bothers me years later. Dating is a waste of time for me until I find stability in my life.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:07 AM

8,569 posts, read 7,147,428 times
Never broken up, but I have avoided serious relationships because of my work schedule

Old 08-27-2016, 02:28 AM

1,544 posts, read 663,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
Or maybe because the woman wanted to earn a little something to help out and the guy just happened to be an insecure baby who wanted his lady barefoot in the kitchen all day. Did you ever think of that scenario?

There are guys who work mad hours at their jobs. But there are also women who work their asses off at their jobs. So it isn't "most of the time," as you phrase it. You have guys who are whining about not getting enough attention because his woman is on her grind, making sure her house is in order. So don't put that all on the woman's lap.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:38 AM

600 posts, read 495,032 times
I work 50-60 hrs a week but that hasn't completed completely stopped me from having a boyfriend

Old 08-27-2016, 06:02 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,349,691 times
As work life gets more and more demanding...40 hours almost unheard of, 50-60 hour weeks, friends with benefits becomes more and more appealing...

that said...pair up 2 workaholics and its a match in heaven...pair up a workaholic with someone who wants to spend a lot of time with their significant other, its a recipe for disaster

I feel bad for peeps I know who got married, kids, and careers took off and demanding work schedules became the beginning of the end...either you marry a person, or you marry a career, seldom can you do both

I work a lot of hours but I think its sad that people marry careers...unless you are running your own business, you are giving the best years of your life to a company to make SOMEONE ELSE RICHER...nah thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or