Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 01:02 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yep... 325 million people and this is what we have to choose from?????
Reminds me of a shirt I saw in a store last week- it read, simply, "I already hate our next president." It didn't surprise me in the least when the salesperson said that it was their best seller.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:12 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Why are you embarassed if you truly believe that people can have their own beliefs?

smh
Cause I'm related to these people.

Don't even act like you've never been embarrassed by something your family has done, don't even try it because I won't believe you.

Let me clarify that I'm not embarrassed that they have these beliefs. I'm embarrassed when I come to visit with my fiance and they talk about how much they love Trump for at least 4-6 hours of the day.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
Cause I'm related to these people.

Don't even act like you've never been embarrassed by something your family has done, don't even try it or I'll be calling BS on that.
Oh, I've certainly been embarrassed by my family at times.

What I don't do, however, is preface the story of the embarrassment by stating "everyone can have their beliefs" and then essentially saying, "except in this circumstance".

You're embarrassed that your grandparents are vocal about their support of Trump. Which means that you do not accept that everyone can have their beliefs. That's all I'm saying.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Oh, I've certainly been embarrassed by my family at times.

What I don't do, however, is preface the story of the embarrassment by stating "everyone can have their beliefs" and then essentially saying, "except in this circumstance".

You're embarrassed that your grandparents are vocal about their support of Trump. Which means that you do not accept that everyone can have their beliefs. That's all I'm saying.
I never said they cannot express them though, just that I'm embarrassed by it around people I know. If I did not accept them, I would have begged them like a child to please not express them while my fiance and I are present.

I certainly believed it was my dad's right to be a white supremacist and use racial slurs whenever he pleased and I accepted that and never tried to change him. Doesn't mean that I was not embarrassed when he would use those terms in front of my then girlfriend or friends of mine.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I never said they cannot express them though, just that I'm embarrassed by it around people I know. If I did not accept them, I would have begged them like a child to please not express them while my fiance and I are present.
Ok, I guess we have a different idea of what constitutes embarrassment and actual acceptance of people's beliefs.

Though, I'm wondering, would you have had the same reaction if they were as vocal about Hillary?

Old 09-02-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
It's why you have age old saying like "never discuss politics and religion in mixed company" those are always hot button subjects.

You should see the compete and utter nasty vitriol on some people's twitter posts. I'm surprised at the level of nastiness that goes on.
I can't tell you how many times I've went on facebook in the last couple years, only to see a whole bunch of posts about something political. And in the comments, someone saying ''What?! You don't like (insert candidate/member of office) ? then I'm deleting you!''

And it's so incredibly stupid. Even my cousin made a post saying ''If you're voting for Hillary, then just delete me''. Is it really that big of a deal? There's so many Trump supporters and Hillary supporters on my feed, I don't care to unfriend anyone over something so ridiculous. I believe people should be able to say and express what they want, even in the cases that I'm embarrassed by it (like my grandparents or my dad's racism).

Old 09-02-2016, 01:33 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I personally find it obnoxious when people start spoutin off their political beliefs as if everyone in the room agrees with them and assumes that everyone thinks the same way.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Ok, I guess we have a different idea of what constitutes embarrassment and actual acceptance of people's beliefs.

Though, I'm wondering, would you have had the same reaction if they were as vocal about Hillary?
I personally dislike Hillary as much as Trump, so I think I would be embarrassed either way.

But it's their house and they absolutely can like whoever they want and express it however much they want. Even if they came to my house, I'd still let them express it if they wanted. It's like the people on Facebook, I'm not gonna unfriend someone because of the stuff they're saying on there, about the candidates they like or whatever.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I personally find it obnoxious when people start spoutin off their political beliefs as if everyone in the room agrees with them and assumes that everyone thinks the same way.
Yup, this.

Though what really gets me is when people start talking about politics and suggest that people should be thinking the same way as they do.

And, *gasp*, if you don't, you are any one of a number of not-so-pleasant things.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:42 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
The holidays are coming up and we've got a couple of family members that are hardcore into their party, which will remain nameless, and bloviate about it to the point of annoyance, I just leave the room or go outside to get some fresh air.

No point in getting into it and ruining the fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships