Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 03:49 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
Their self summary has to show that they are intelligent, humble, funny, and insightful. If they're not, they'll never connect with me.
Especially the humble part!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 03:53 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
It sounds like you're on the right track. I mean, 10% is 10%. It's not 0. I've found the learning curve for OLD to be rather steep and it most certainly is a game that you have to learn how to play. I've found it be very challenging. But I like challenges. I'm 15 years older than you, financially successful and with a bit more experience, so I also have to weed out the gold diggers, which really isn't very fun, especially when you're codependent like I am. Then again, I've had to do that irl too, which is one of the reason I've become more of a home body.
I was in college when I tried OKCupid. I did it at age 19. No results.

I tried again at age 23. I sent messages, and most of the time, no replies. When I did get replies, it mainly, the person would reply back one time and then I would never hear from them again. Mod cut.

Tried again later on. I was 25-26 years old. I got about 3 or 4 replies. All of them came from outside of the USA. Latin America and the UK specifically. I learned a few words of Spanish. I never got a girlfriend out of the deal, but I did get a friendship. I stopped because I got too busy looking for work. I wasn't in a position to date. I was out of out of college(graduated), and unemployed. I stayed away from the dating scene as a result.

I'm 30 now. I work. I'm in somewhat decent shape financially. I hate the club scene. Too much drinking/loud partying involved. Ironically, this is the time when I've stayed away from online dating.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-06-2016 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: You may not discuss race in this forum.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:54 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Especially the humble part!
I was wondering if that was an "opposites attract" example

Old 09-05-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of the online game is conditioning yourself to handle disappointment. I went on 4 dates with one woman, seemed very promising, we had a lot in common and we were both attracted to each other. Then, out of the blue she ended things with me. So there's disappointments.
In the few times that I did get replies, that is how it ended. I'm the type who is like "if you're not interested, just say you're not interested". I don't do mind games. I don't have time for games. I've had to handle disappointment. What is harder is handling shock.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I was wondering if that was an "opposites attract" example
You made me think of something. No woman I've ever been attracted to has been attracted to me. However, there is maybe one or two women that seemed someone interested. They were both the trouble making "hood rat" types. I wanted nothing to do with them. I've always been bookish. I was never the "cool kid". Mod cut. I always wondered why the one two females who were even remotely attracted to me were hood rat times. Maybe it is "opposites attract". Whatever it is, I didn't like it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-06-2016 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Please leave race out of this discussion.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:05 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You made me think of something. No woman I've ever been attracted to has been attracted to me. However, there is maybe one or two women that seemed someone interested. They were both the trouble making "hood rat" types. I wanted nothing to do with them. I've always been bookish. I was never the "cool kid". A couples of kids described me as "the whitest Black guy they knew". I always wondered why the one two females who were even remotely attracted to me were hood rat times. Maybe it is "opposites attract". Whatever it is, I didn't like it.
What is a hood rat?

Those girls may have been hoping to take advantage of you.

What sort of woman are you usually attracted to?

Old 09-05-2016, 04:06 PM

594 posts, read 379,901 times
Quote:

I'm 30 now. I work. I'm in somewhat decent shape financially. I hate the club scene. Too much drinking/loud partying involved. Ironically, this is the time when I've stayed away from online dating.
Not to sound parental, but you're still young and if I were you, I would continue to keep the focus on yourself, your own life, building it into something that you're really proud of. Keep saving money, keep plugging away at your job, be ambitious, climb the ladder. Make your life about you first. The women will come, they will. I've had my head buried in my career and my marriage for the past 18 years and I'm just stepping into a single life that I never thought I would see again. It's like a new chapter. Be positive, build yourself up.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:07 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
You made me think of something. No woman I've ever been attracted to has been attracted to me. However, there is maybe one or two women that seemed someone interested. They were both the trouble making "hood rat" types. I wanted nothing to do with them. I've always been bookish. I was never the "cool kid". [snip] I always wondered why the one two females who were even remotely attracted to me were hood rat times. Maybe it is "opposites attract". Whatever it is, I didn't like it.

I wouldn't take it personally. They may have been doing blanket contacts seeing who they could get a response from

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-06-2016 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-05-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
What is a hood rat?

Those girls may have been hoping to take advantage of you.

What sort of woman are you usually attracted to?
Well, it's a very trashy woman.

I'm attracted to women who have a nice,sweet, loving personality, who are not trashy, and at the same time, not stuck up either. Women who have the same education level as me. I have a Bachelor's so said woman should have a Bachelor's too, or at least trying to get one. If she's my age

At the time both women seemed to want me, the first time I was 14. I was a tiny, nerdish, boyish-looking kid. Second time I was 26 years old and unemployed, and in a fast food restaurant using the internet to apply for a job. She was around 18-19 years old. I'm 30 now, and I still get mistaken for being alot younger.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I wouldn't take it personally. They may have been doing blanket contacts seeing who they could get a response from
The times I'm mentioning, it was not from online dating. It was in person. However, I don't remember any hood rat types trying to contact me. And I certainly wouldn't respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships