Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 11:14 AM

500 posts, read 1,173,907 times

Advertisements

I'm super confused, so please enlighten me.

As a female, I don't swipe right on many men, only on ones I would actually be interested in talking to for potential dating purposes. This would seem like sort of a Duh thing, because why else would one swipe right? But apparently, that's not the case for guys.

This past week, I matched with 8 guys. One I matched with the last time I was on a year ago (he never spoke to me then, and this time, he closed the match within a few hours without speaking as well). I do prefer that the man take the lead and message first, but after a day or so with no messages, I decided to go ahead and message 4 of the remaining 7. (I didn't message all of them because I anticipated actually talking to some of them, and I don't like talking to more than 2 at a time.) Two of them didn't reply at all, one replied once, then I replied back, and then he closed out the match. The last remaining guy and I sent a couple of messages back and forth about how we knew our one mutual friend, and then he dropped off of communication.

What exactly is the point of swiping right on someone if you don't actually intend on talking to someone? Is it just a numbers game to see how many girls think you're cute? Do you not really want to date, but are passing time in boredom? WHAT IS IT?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 11:15 AM

579 posts, read 555,664 times
I've heard it's very common for men on tinder to just swipe right on everyone. Not sure why.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:17 AM

594 posts, read 379,901 times
I've been hearing a lot about Tinder. Is this something that a 45 year old male might find effective or is it pretty much just for youngins?

Old 09-05-2016, 11:18 AM

641 posts, read 405,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
I've heard it's very common for men on tinder to just swipe right on everyone. Not sure why.
I know a guy who when he's drunk will swipe right on every single woman.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:21 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
I hope this doesn't come off as sexist but I this but I think men tend to cast a much wider net of initial possiblities than women do. They tend to try to pull aside (figuratively speaking in this case) lots of women to glance over without any one woman being a serious "I want to talk to her and get to know her."

Old 09-05-2016, 11:26 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post

As a female, I don't swipe right on many men, only on ones I would actually be interested in talking to for potential dating purposes. This would seem like sort of a Duh thing, because why else would one swipe right? But apparently, that's not the case for guys.

This past week, I matched with 8 guys. One I matched with the last time I was on a year ago (he never spoke to me then, and this time, he closed the match within a few hours without speaking as well). I do prefer that the man take the lead and message first, but after a day or so with no messages, I decided to go ahead and message 4 of the remaining 7. (I didn't message all of them because I anticipated actually talking to some of them, and I don't like talking to more than 2 at a time.) Two of them didn't reply at all, one replied once, then I replied back, and then he closed out the match. The last remaining guy and I sent a couple of messages back and forth about how we knew our one mutual friend, and then he dropped off of communication.

What exactly is the point of swiping right on someone if you don't actually intend on talking to someone? Is it just a numbers game to see how many girls think you're cute? Do you not really want to date, but are passing time in boredom? WHAT IS IT?!?
I am a married guy that never did OLD so I may be way off base here, but I get the impression from my youngest brother and some other guys I know that use Tinder that many people use the app for anonymous hookups, and that any mention of dating or longer term relationships causes them to immediately break contact. If this is true, mention of a mutual friend or a shared social circle would be an absolute kiss of death for a guy looking for some anonymous action.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:38 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
What does " swipe right " actually mean?

Does it mean you have liked them or winked at them? ( basically made your interest known )

Cheers

Old 09-05-2016, 11:42 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:

I use a similar app to Tinder. I will usually swipe right at first to be open minded and see if I get any bites. Then if I get any matches, I will scrutinize closer to see if I'm attracted to them or not. If I'm not I will unmatch. I have intention of at least exploring talking to the women but I try to be sensitive not to get their hopes up too much.

BTW I've had women do the same thing to me, this is NOT just a man thing.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:44 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
I've been hearing a lot about Tinder. Is this something that a 45 year old male might find effective or is it pretty much just for youngins?
Any guy who wants to get some.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:48 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:

They just do it for fun. Getting a match on tinder does not mean that they actually want to talk to you or meet you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships