Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 08:55 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister68 View Post
Hey RR, I feel for you, brother! I decided to jump on this forum some months back in order to get a "feel" for what my peers may be experiencing as far as dating/relationships go. Long story short, I just turned 48, not very good looking, been married twice, and my wife is sick. She is doing well right now, in part to me being her caregiver. I have to be a realist, and possibly one day, I may be thrust into the dating scene, f***in' scary! My wife is one good woman, and we even briefly discussed this, even though it's hard for her! BUT, she's been in my exact shoes, having a sick spouse, and eventually losing him! I only know LTR's obviously, being married 20 years out of my 48 years of life! She tells me I'd be fine, no kids, good job, stable, generous, kind, loyal, etc. Sure, all good qualities to have, most importantly she says that I'm a good man! However, I view myself as one of those "cast aside, friend zoned nice guys". Let me be blunt here, it's not like overnight I would turn into this "stud playboy who b a n g s" everything in sight! Through it all, my wife begs to differ, telling me that looks mean nothing at my age, and upwards, I would be considered a commodity...eh, looks grim!
I feel for both of you guys. I'm single and nearly 48. Its been difficult for me. I think its mostly due to location, but its also me. I don't like bar hopping anymore. I'm active, but I don't just randomly meet people. I'm a shy introvert. I have social skills, but I just have a very hard time starting conversations with strangers, which would probably work better for me than OLD. With OLD, the women I want to date (early-mid 30's) cut their search off at 40. I'm better off meeting them in person if I can get out of my head and just relax because I look 10 years younger. Anyway, I understand how you feel about being cast aside as a nice guy. I'm viewed as either that and/or standoffish around people I don't know very well. Its tough. I don't know, maybe if you're in a good city for dating, its different. I'm not, but I sure hope to be back in Atlanta within the next several months.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:57 PM

594 posts, read 379,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I feel for both of you guys. I'm single and nearly 48. Its been difficult for me. I think its mostly due to location, but its also me. I don't like bar hopping anymore. I'm active, but I don't just randomly meet people. I'm a shy introvert. I have social skills, but I just have a very hard time starting conversations with strangers, which would probably work better for me than OLD. With OLD, the women I want to date (early-mid 30's) cut their search off at 40. I'm better off meeting them in person if I can get out of my head and just relax because I look 10 years younger. Anyway, I understand how you feel about being cast aside as a nice guy. I'm viewed as either that and/or standoffish around people I don't know very well. Its tough. I don't know, maybe if you're in a good city for dating, its different. I'm not, but I sure hope to be back in Atlanta within the next several months.
Yeah, I prefer the early to mid 30s range myself. I have expanded up to 40 though. I've found some very attractive 40 year olds on Tinder. Of course I'm only going off of their pics. I haven't met anyone from Tinder in person yet as I just signed up a couple days ago. But I've had good results so far. You should give it a shot.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:33 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
Yeah, I prefer the early to mid 30s range myself. I have expanded up to 40 though. I've found some very attractive 40 year olds on Tinder. Of course I'm only going off of their pics. I haven't met anyone from Tinder in person yet as I just signed up a couple days ago. But I've had good results so far. You should give it a shot.
They're probably on there looking for younger men.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:54 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
They're probably on there looking for younger men.
That sounds like something you would say.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:58 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
That sounds like something you would say.
Yup! Aren't women allowed to like younger men too?

Old 09-08-2016, 07:27 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
So you prefer women 12-15 years younger than you, and could possibly consider woman 5 years younger than you. How magnanimous of you.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:04 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
So you prefer women 12-15 years younger than you, and could possibly consider woman 5 years younger than you. How magnanimous of you.
My boyfriend is 9 years older than I am. But he wasn't looking for a younger girlfriend. In fact, I contacted him first. And I think therein lies the difference.

I can't speak for all other women, but with me, a man 10 years or older than me looking for someone my age specifically was a huge turn off. The reason is my age will change and it's something I have no control over. So the impression (right or wrong) that I took away when I read a man's profile like that is they are looking for a sugar baby, not a relationship. And if I dated him, chances are he'd trade me in for a younger model in a few years. Now I'm not saying that's true, but it's the impression. And I know from talking to other women I'm not the only one who thinks that.

I am posting this as a tip to the OP. Even if it's not your intent, you could be #1 scaring away women who think you are looking for a sugar baby. And #2 Sending a message to sugar babies that you are interested in that kind of relationship.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:05 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
That works out though, I find men my age to be too argumentative and set in their ways. I think they get frustrated because there aren't many life lessons for them to explain to me. Us "older" women are left w/the under 40 men.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:29 AM

594 posts, read 379,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
There's nothing unusual about my preferences. And of course they're just that; preferences. As I said, I've expanded my search range up to 40. The dates I've been on so far have been with women in their early 30s, except for one who was 38.

To the poster who said I'm attracting sugar babies, well, I think all women, regardless of age are looking for a man who's secure financially. Which is a perfectly acceptable standard. I think once a woman is into her 30s she's pretty well got her stuff together and she can take care of herself. So she's doesn't need a sugar daddy. Now if I was going after 20 somethings, that would be a whole different story, but I'm not.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:40 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,162 times
Quote:
There's nothing unusual about my preferences. And of course they're just that; preferences. As I said, I've expanded my search range up to 40. The dates I've been on so far have been with women in their early 30s, except for one who was 38.

To the poster who said I'm attracting sugar babies, well, I think all women, regardless of age are looking for a man who's secure financially. Which is a perfectly acceptable standard. I think once a woman is into her 30s she's pretty well got her stuff together and she can take care of herself. So she's doesn't need a sugar daddy. Now if I was going after 20 somethings, that would be a whole different story, but I'm not.
I think you are talking to me with the last paragraph. Please understand I'm not talking in absolutes, but men looking for a much younger women because of her youth is a red flag to a lot of women and can be an invitation to the wrong kinds of women. I'm just letting you know of this possibility from my perspective on it so you can aware. And don't let age or being "together" fool you. Someone who is looking to take advantage of another financially doesn't change on the 30th birthday. It's usually their inate and lifelong personality and come in all ages. Just be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships