Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 12:46 PM

579 posts, read 555,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
We're all selfish. Wanting to have a child is also selfish.

I want to be a parent.

I want to nurture another living being.

I think I'd mold a good human being.

I want to have a family.

I know of genetic screening. I knew ultrasounds can determine some birth defects. I didn't know ultrasounds can ID down syndrome.
Sorry- That was specifically addressed to the op, because he said he wanted to "come and go as he pleases", but next minute, he calls his ex selfish..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 12:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You would not only be losing your freedom to go and come as you please, you would lose all your freedoms.

Most folks really have no understanding on how un-free they really are. If you value personal freedom to grow and develop how you want, when you want and at what pace you want...having kids will stifle that.
On the contrary, there are plenty of us who understand fully the impact of offspring's needs coming before our wants, and embrace that, because we value the positive impact our children make in our lives more.

The "people just don't understand how badly they're damaging their lives by having kids" line is both condescending, because it assumes that "people just don't know what's good for them," and implies that you DO know what's good for others, even if they don't, and also foolish, because it presumes that everyone values the same things. Certain avenues in life are shut to me, and if not shut, greatly complicated, as a parent. Same for my husband. The fact that we chose parenthood, however, speaks to what we value most. As, hopefully, do most people's choices.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:49 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I know my feelings on this are not popular, but I'm an old fashioned woman. My husband tries to make me happy, if he can (and vice versa). If I wanted 10 kids or no kids, that is what we'd have.

OP had to let his "soulmate" go, because he is too selfish to give her what she wants. It is he who doesnt love her enough, not the other way around.

Not sure why the gf didnt just get pregnant by him, if shes intent on getting a frozen pop, or otherwise getting pregnant on her own. At least she'd know the father.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:51 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
So, wanting to "come and go as you please" isn't selfish?
It's an innate quality that all of us share. Who does not want to be able to come and go as they please? Who does not want to walk their own life's journey at their pace and in the direction they want?

I can't imagine being shacked down with life choices that strip these innate qualities from me.

At a very young age, freedom was my motivator in life. I realized that when I am in control of my ship vs. my ship being controlled by poor life choices, that my life was much better and productive.

Everyone has the right to venture upon their own life's journey. Some want kids and others don't.

Wanting kids can also be viewed as selfish. Just depends on how you want to slice and dice it.

We came into this world free. We have every-right to want to pursue and maintain that freedom.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:52 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know my feelings on this are not popular, but I'm an old fashioned woman. My husband tries to make me happy, if he can (and vice versa). If I wanted 10 kids or no kids, that is what we'd have.

OP had to let his "soulmate" go, because he is too selfish to give her what she wants. It is he who doesnt love her enough, not the other way around.
If a guy doesn't want kids, it's well within his rights not to want one, nor should he be forced into one. Doesn't make him selfish at all.

That's also a double standard argument.

Edit-If anything, the only selfish thing he did was getting into a relationship with a woman that wanted kids, while he knew he didn't want them.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:53 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash99 View Post
i believe every child deserves a father. hence i think using a sperm donor is selfish. yes my ex wants a child desperately, but that child needs 2 parents, not 1.

Well, that's not your decision and if your ex has cut-off contact with you, it looks like your opinion on the matter isn't a factor either.

Signed,

Raised mostly by a single mother and doing just fine

Old 09-08-2016, 12:55 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

Not sure why the gf didnt just get pregnant by him, if shes intent on getting a frozen pop, or otherwise getting pregnant on her own. At least she'd know the father.
It is not that your feelings aren't popular. Your feelings are completely wrong. There is a difference.

I think she is selfish for placing a kid over a guy she supposedly loves. Not that that is wrong but the consequence is the relationship is over. I have no problem with the OP sticking to his guns and not creating a child he isn't prepared mentally to love and care for.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:55 PM

579 posts, read 555,281 times
Wow. Parenting is just a different lifestyle than beings child free. Acting like parenting is some awful life sentence.. Umm.. Strange mindset to have, IMO

Old 09-08-2016, 12:56 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
On the contrary, there are plenty of us who understand fully the impact of offspring's needs coming before our wants, and embrace that, because we value the positive impact our children make in our lives more.
What you are talking about and what I meant are two entirely different topics.
Quote:
The "people just don't understand how badly they're damaging their lives by having kids" line is both condescending, because it assumes that "people just don't know what's good for them," and implies that you DO know what's good for others, even if they don't, and also foolish, because it presumes that everyone values the same things.
I suppose you will have to take this up with the person who made those claims.
Quote:
Certain avenues in life are shut to me, and if not shut, greatly complicated, as a parent. Same for my husband. The fact that we chose parenthood, however, speaks to what we value most. As, hopefully, do most people's choices.
Good for you that you wanted that lifestyle...it's not for everyone and those who do not value that lifestyle should not be demonized for it. Just because others don't want kids does not mean they have poor values. I have much more freedom to help creatures in need as well as help others who are less fortunate, than a parent who is tied up raising kids.

Child-free people also have great values...so what if they are different from yours? Raising kids is not any more valuable than a person who is child-free helping other families, children and animals that are in need all across this planet.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:57 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
there are plenty of disabilities that show up on ultrasound though- so parents can make the decision of whether or not they want to continue with the pregnancy. Down syndrome, for one, shows up on ultrasound.
Not all do. By far.

My son, who is classic/Kanner autistic, intellectually delayed (at age 13 his mean academic level is grade 2, month 6), will never live on his own, required many exhausting very parental hands-on therapies per week for years, was not out of diapers until age 5 and is on medication, has absolutely nothing organically wrong with his brain that either an extensive sleeping MRI or an EEG were able to detect, nor anything anywhere outside the range of normal in any other detectable way.

As far as in utero, all scans showed a beautifully growing fetus with zero markers of any kind for any condition.

He was born at term at a healthy weight and alert, with Apgars of 9 at birth, 10 at 5 minutes of age.

He is an absolutely lovely, movie star handsome, tall, sweet, kindly, curious boy who will never drive a car, never live independently, never be a parent (unless by accident, which would of course mean we or someone else would've raising the child).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships