Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 03:09 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,006,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The problem here is that 1.5 hrs becomes 2.5 hrs multiple times a year with snow, easily. People do it though, especially those want like a big yard.
Yeah, it's all about priorities, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 03:12 PM

52,160 posts, read 52,609,244 times
It's the same out here, the further you wanna travel the cheaper the houses get, but then all that extra commute times can start to add to stress, so you really need to play balancing act to figure out what works. We're luck in that we live fairly close to most things and my commute isn't nearly as bad as some guys, I hear stories of it taking guys 2.5 hours to get home at night due to traffic and accidents that come up.

Brutal, I wouldn't bother owning a home I'd just rent and live closer in if I had to face those kinds of daily commutes.

An hour one way here ain't no thang but a chicken wing because so many people do that and much more, depending.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:15 PM

29,732 posts, read 34,340,471 times
I get angry if my commute takes more than 30 minutes, but then I live in the Rust Belt.

You have to wonder if you can even argue quality of life if you're spending 3+ hours a day (a day!) getting to and from work.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:15 PM

983 posts, read 1,054,249 times
Quote:
The problem here is that 1.5 hrs becomes 2.5 hrs multiple times a year with snow, easily. People do it though, especially those want like a big yard.
Exactly! So you have a big yard with room for your kids to play in. Nice, since they aren't in day care. You have room for a garden - something for your wife to work in - she has time to grow part of your food, since she isn't working for a pay check. You have a decent sized piece of property to enjoy.

I agree - it's all about priorities.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:23 PM

52,160 posts, read 52,609,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I get angry if my commute takes more than 30 minutes, but then I live in the Rust Belt.

You have to wonder if you can even argue quality of life if you're spending 3+ hours a day (a day!) getting to and from work.
Yep.. I agree, there's all kinds of options out there. For me peace of mind and less hassle is the order of the day, If I have to move to smaller town, live a less "expensive" life that has a lot more appeal to me than buying a 900k home and living in some kind of hip place.

I sorta have that lifestyle now, only simply because we got lucky and bought 18 years ago before everything went nuts. I pull up Zillow and there are 800k to 1.2 million dollars homes within a 1 mile from here. Not us, we bought a pretty modest condo way back when I was making less money. I don't know if I could afford our place right now if we had to buy today, haven't worked the numbers lately, but I'm wondering if we could.....

I for the life of me can't imagine how kids these days do it. I think we're in for a readjustment in lifestyles and another crash in the market, things just can't be sustainable like this forever.

I made pretty decent money and all, but damn... I'm so glad I'm at this point in my life rather than just stepping out of college and looking to start out. Sad.....

Old 10-04-2016, 04:36 PM

20,735 posts, read 19,939,805 times
There is no right or wrong answer here.

It always depends on the people, characters, income, and circumstances.

I was and would love to be a SAHW again. Others wouldn't feel full filled.

I would feel very full filled and would provide my partner with a clean home, home cooked meal, detailed car, walked dog, foot massage, good mood, and a nice BJ every day. The weekend would be fun time only and nothing to do for him at home other than have fun and relax.

I find that much better than stressed out, tired, moody and fights about who does what chore and weekends filled with errand but expensive house where nobody ever is home and lots of money we spend on restaurants, cleaning ladies, gas, cars ....

Old 10-04-2016, 04:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
I've done both, and working can be fulfilling or completely unfulfilling. Same with being home. It all depends on what you're actually doing.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:42 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Exactly! So you have a big yard with room for your kids to play in. Nice, since they aren't in day care. You have room for a garden - something for your wife to work in - she has time to grow part of your food, since she isn't working for a pay check. You have a decent sized piece of property to enjoy.

I agree - it's all about priorities.

True, of course the man would basically be deciding not to be part of his kid's lives if they had them, at that point. But that is the choice lots of people make, 10+ work days, 2-3 hr commutes.

And I'm not sure not being in day care is nice. I actually don't think it is.

But of course, this is about childless couples.

The real variable beyond housing prices is jobs. Can you find a job in these places that are more affordable. Some things don't cost less in low COL places too, so you can't allow yourself to be paid too little.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
Quote:
Assuming there are jobs there in your career. Most of these low COL places are low because there is low demand, as there are few jobs. And the jobs that are there pay very little. I generally move places (like I did SF) because that is where the jobs are. Otherwise I'd live in Wisconsin, which is much cheaper.
Not to be crappy, but that's a choice, too (and not an invalid one). But if you opt for a career field so specialized that it seriously curtails your options on where you can realistically locate, that's a decision you make knowing there are tradeoffs, just like any other.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:15 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not to be crappy, but that's a choice, too (and not an invalid one). But if you opt for a career field so specialized that it seriously curtails your options on where you can realistically locate, that's a decision you make knowing there are tradeoffs, just like any other.
Sure, I guess. I mean, I never thought there was THAT much of a choice in careers. I've done a lot of different things for work, but what I wanted to do for a career wasn't really a choice, its the only thing that would make me happy or that I would be content doing. I know lots of people are perfectly fine being miserable at work, but while technically that is a choice, it isn't much of one, or even a realistic one, in my view.

I remember well my parents telling me from quite a young age, there is living life, and there is surviving, don't ever be content with just surviving. My mom still hammers away at that.

But if a person is fortunate enough that they don't care what they do for work, or what they want to do for work is very portable geographically without huge blows to salary, then yes, you're correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships