Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:40 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times

Advertisements

I love jewelry. It is also a common gift between people in romantic relationships. I will confess I LOVE shopping way too much and have resorted to some more creative ways to get stuff I want at a cheaper price so I don't end up a well dressed homeless woman living in a pile of designer fashions and accessories .

So I started looking at some things for sale on these person to person sales websites and I noticed there are soooo many postings from women selling jewelry they had gotten at gifts especially from men. The classic post basically saying selling because relationship ended and I don't want to keep it.

It made to start to think about stuff I had gotten as gifts from ex boy freinds and I realized I still have everything ... except this stupid watch ( which actually spaked at fight because common sense says you don't keep your girl freind wating for you for over an hour on Valentines Day and then give her a watch as a gift!!!).

What have you done with jewelry from your past relationships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 12:20 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
I keep it and wear it. Actually everything I am wearing today was a gift. I like it, why would I sell something I use and enjoy?

I did once give a diamond everyday ring ( not an engagement) back to an ex as a teenager. I have regretted it ever since, because I loved the uniqueness of it and have never found anything similar. I have hunted for it for twenty year. I wish I had just paid him the couple hundred he paid for it.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:49 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
So I started looking at some things for sale on these person to person sales websites and I noticed there are soooo many postings from women selling jewelry they had gotten at gifts especially from men

Yes, men are the ones who usually give the pricier extravagant gifts when it comes to dating and relationships. But whatever the situation is, those are GIFTS. So you do with them whatever you want . No need to feel bad about it.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:50 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I keep it and wear it. Actually everything I am wearing today was a gift. I like it, why would I sell something I use and enjoy?

I did once give a diamond everyday ring ( not an engagement) back to an ex as a teenager. I have regretted it ever since, because I loved the uniqueness of it and have never found anything similar. I have hunted for it for twenty year. I wish I had just paid him the couple hundred he paid for it.
Ya I would actually have a lot of trouble parting with a jewelery that I really liked.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:58 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,586 times
I'd wait and see if gold goes back up to over $1500 an once before I did anything.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:00 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I have kept it. I'd give it back if he asked, but no one ever asked to have it returned.

Wait, I gave back a diamond engagement ring because he asked to have it back.

I suspect that people selling jewelry "because the relationship ended" are just making excuses. They need the money; the jewelry is stolen; the jewelry is fake. Very little of it has anything to do with broken relationships.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:02 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
I'm pretty sure women are supposed to give back the jewelry to the guys if they break up

Old 09-16-2016, 01:03 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
I'm pretty sure women are supposed to give back the jewelry to the guys if they break up
I've never heard this at all, with the exception of an engagement ring if the woman called it off.

I'd be bummed if someone tried to return a gift. I can recall it happening only once. I ended it, she was very hurt.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:03 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
I'm a male and have never gotten jewelry from an ex, but I have received things like stuffed animals and key chain's and key chain ornaments, etc.

I had one serious and long term girlfriend before the one I'm with now, I kept all of the things she had given me. Mostly because I respected her so much and thought so much of her, I couldn't in good conscience throw away something she bought for me. I couldn't throw her pictures away either, I just didn't dislike her and wasn't mad enough to do it. I have all of the stuff she bought me, it's just packed away in closets somewhere. I still think a lot of her as a person, not at all romantically though.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:07 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
No legally they are not. A gift is a gift. And no different then if a woman buys a man an item of value.

Engagement rings are treated different in court. They are generally returned to the giver. However I could prove I paid for the one given to me by my sons father, so I was permitted to keep it. We never got married though. I am going to have it turned into a right hand ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships