Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,368 times

Advertisements

So I would appreciate some thoughts. I have been dating a guy for 4 months now and he is really sweet and caring and helpful but he is quite a nerd/geek. He works in IT and has his own apartment but he not only is really into video games but has actually tournaments involving card games like yu gi oh and is into dungeons and dragons. He has even tried to get me to try it.

I definitely like him and he hasn't say cancelled a date for it but sometimes he has set up our dates around it, for example no dates on Wednesdays. I don't know how to feel, I know some will say it's harmless but just the thought bothers me. I was talking to a girlfriend and she laughed and told me it was a bad idea and guys like that are losers that always put their stuff before a relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 12:19 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
We've had several posts in the last few months about women who had to break up with their guy because they were addicted to gaming. They were more into gaming than they were into couple-time. Give him a couple of years to grow up, then see where he's at, before you get involved. That's my offhand advice.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Enjoys typically nerdy pursuits?
No problem.

Creates a lifestyle around it?
No. No, thanks.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:25 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
No. All of my serious partners are nerdy/geeky. It plays a big role in compatibility for me. My husband is awesomely nerdy and geeky. We both are.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
No. All of my serious partners are nerdy/geeky. It plays a big role in compatibility for me. My husband is awesomely nerdy and geeky. We both are.
But what if say your partner said not to plan any dates or activities on Wednesdays because that day is reserved for him and his friends to have game night?

Old 09-18-2016, 12:43 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPrincess View Post
But what if say your partner said not to plan any dates or activities on Wednesdays because that day is reserved for him and his friends to have game night?
Not unreasonable.

I have nights I play tennis.
Those are my tennis nights.

My mom has bridge nights.

I have friends who always go to church or bible study.

Etc.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:51 AM

16 posts, read 14,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
We've had several posts in the last few months about women who had to break up with their guy because they were addicted to gaming. They were more into gaming than they were into couple-time. Give him a couple of years to grow up, then see where he's at, before you get involved. That's my offhand advice.
Translation: we've had several posts in the last few months about women who had to break up with their guy because they realized there was more to life than worshiping their women as some goddess and being at her every beck and call.

I swear women love to deny men anything that takes attention away from them. It's incredibly hypocritical to because women would just say a guy should just deal with it if a woman were to say reserve Wednesdays just so she can go shopping and to get their nails done.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:55 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Every Wednesday?

For me, it would depend on how rigid he was about it. If he wouldn't miss a Wednesday for anything, I'd personally wonder about his priorities. Is the gaming more important than a relationship?

Old 09-18-2016, 12:55 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Then, I wouldn't plan anything for wednesdays. lol

Old 09-18-2016, 02:35 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not unreasonable.

I have nights I play tennis.
Those are my tennis nights.

My mom has bridge nights.

I have friends who always go to church or bible study.

Etc.
This.

I personally preferred not to go out on dates on nights that my favorite hockey team was playing. I'd make exceptions if it was with a girl I was exclusive with or had been dating for more than a certain amount of time. But I sure was not missing a game for a first or second date with someone. Especially if nothing was gonna come out of it. I do have DVR, so I could always watch it later. But if I'm not serious with someone, I like to have certain nights where I'm busy and doing my own thing.

Some people just have nights where they're busy and they got other things going on. Whether it's fantasy team night with friends, guys night out, poker night, Knights Of Columbus, church, game night with the family, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships