Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 02:21 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times

Advertisements

My husband works in an extremely professional field w/ many other colleagues.
Of course, many being female.
Today, a conversation w/ a friend, prompted me to ask my husband his opinion of male & female co-workers texting eacother & using emoji's.
My friend asked me if my husband texted female colleagues usung emoji's & I truly never thought about it & asked.
My husband first said " no" but then thought about it & said " maybe a few times".
It made me start questioning why, etc...
I asked if I could see his texts & that made him even more defensive.
First-- I think if you have a password protected phone & won't let your spouse read your texts , there is a small problem w/ that? Unless you work for the government & there are security breaches to be concerned about, spouses should not keep secrets from each other.
Anyway- he finally agreed to let me see his texts but only w/ him holding his phone & skimming thru the texts rapidly. Not only did he use emoji's - he did it several times. 😀 Happy faces , 😥 Sad faces...
His female colleague did as well. While theirctexts were pertaining to work ( from what I could see) I was surprised that he used them ( he never sends me texts usung them) & more surprised that he doesn't understand why I feel it is inappropriate. He feels that I am being ridiculous.
I also saw a part of a text from him when he was away on a business trip ( he travels frequently) to a female colleague telling her that he " was bored and downstairs, if she was bored too".
While I do trust my husband , these little things make me question what is considered appropriate between male/ female colleagues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 02:27 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Today, a conversation w/ a friend, prompted me to ask my husband his opinion of male & female co-workers texting eacother & using emoji's.
My friend asked me if my husband texted female colleagues usung emoji's & I truly never thought about it & asked.
My husband first said " no" but then thought about it & said " maybe a few times".
First-- I think if you have a password protected phone & won't let your spouse read your texts , there is a small problem w/ that? Unless you work for the government & there are security breaches to be concerned about, spouses should not keep secrets from each other.
Anyway- he finally agreed to let me see his texts but only w/ him holding his phone & skimming thru the texts rapidly. Not only did he use emoji's - he did it several times. 😀 Happy faces , 😥 Sad faces...
His female colleague did as well. While theirctexts were pertaining to work ( from what I could see) I was surprised that he used them ( he never sends me texts usung them) & more surprised that he doesn't understand why I feel it is inappropriate. He feels that I am being ridiculous.
I also saw a part of a text from him when he was away on a business trip ( he travels frequently) to a female colleague telling her that he " was bored and downstairs, if she was bored too".
While I do trust my husband , these little things make me question what is considered appropriate between male/ female colleagues.
If you really trusted your husband the statement after the "," would not be there.
You present yourself as looking for a fight or a reason to blame him for something.
My husband uses emoji's with my Mother but not with me, should I be wondering if he is propositioning my Mother?
He also uses emoji's with his 20+ year male and female friends that are in the same industry, should I be wondering if he is propositioning his male friends/coworkers because he uses emoji's with them and not with me?

Old 09-25-2016, 02:32 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
What is the big deal with him using emoji's? I use them all the time, no matter who I'm texting with. Whether it's someone at work or even my mom.

What's the big deal? 😳😒👺👺

Old 09-25-2016, 02:34 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
Of course I would not assume that about your mother
This is a female co-worker, but I appreciate your insight.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:35 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,864 times
Quote:
So they met downstairs for a drink. I've done that several times on trips. I usually don't know anyone on the trips I take, so if I can spend a couple of hours getting to know the co-worker, I don't think it's a bad idea. Most of the time, we are talking company politics anyhow.

His text did not say, "I'm bored, come to my room if you are bored, too."

Old 09-25-2016, 02:36 PM

525 posts, read 660,431 times
WTH to emoji's have to do with inappropriate contact between colleagues? Why is the use of the emoji's the issue? My boss sends me some sometimes that don't cross over between iPhone and Android. So I get a [gif] thing. Should my husband have a small apoplexy?

I think you have trust issues, valid or not, and the way you have zero'd in on the emoji's is odd. If you had addressed a specific fear, rather than this weird "Thou shall not use pictures to communicate with anyone else since you don't with me" you might be on to something.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:38 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
It's pretty easy to tell when people have crossed lines. emojis are the least of those tells.

Last edited by rego00123; 09-25-2016 at 03:46 PM..

Old 09-25-2016, 03:29 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
Quote:
Of course I would not assume that about your mother
This is a female co-worker, but I appreciate your insight.
Understood.

But what is the deal with the emoji's? Are you upset that he's texting with them at all? Or is it the emoji's in particular?

I've texted my future sister-in-law as well as future mother-in-law using emoji's.

As well as female co-workers and anyone I've texted with. I really don't text co-workers much, only when I have to. But when I do, I almost always use emoji's.

Unless it's the heart emoji or something, I wouldn't be worried by his use of emoji's with female co-workers.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:31 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Insecure much? Oh wait:

Old 09-25-2016, 04:09 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
IDK, my gut is telling me that he's probably being a bit flirty with his female coworkers. I wouldn't do that in todays day and age for all the tea in China.

Keep it way above board is how we roll around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships