Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 04:13 PM

208 posts, read 312,938 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I know that everyone is an indvidual, that there are always exceptions, and it is never a good idea to completely rule anyone, out but for those of you on the board, both males and females, gays and straights:

1. If you had to choose, what socioeconomic background, would you prefer your life partner to be? For instance, low income, blue collar, middle class, upper middle class professional, millionaire, multimillionaire.

2. If there is no specific class background, what is the lower and upper range of socioeconomic status/background you would prefer.

For instance, prefering someone who is middle class or above, prefering someone who is at least working class, but not super rich, prefering someone who is below upper middle class, but not from the underclass, etc?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 04:21 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,517,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

I know that everyone is an indvidual, that there are always exceptions, and it is never a good idea to completely rule anyone, out but for those of you on the board, both males and females, gays and straights:

1. If you had to choose, what socioeconomic background, would you prefer your life partner to be? For instance, low income, blue collar, middle class, upper middle class professional, millionaire, multimillionaire.

2. If there is no specific class background, what is the lower and upper range of socioeconomic status/background you would prefer.

For instance, prefering someone who is middle class or above, prefering someone who is at least working class, but not super rich, prefering someone who is below upper middle class, but not from the underclass, etc?

Thanks
No preference at all mate..... I'd accept anyone from any background

The only problem would occur if they wasn't as gracious with my caste/background

Old 09-25-2016, 04:25 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,084 times
It's difficult to date a different class level than what you are. I also don't think it's a healthy focus. We should look for a compatible partner.

I knew a guy in college who came from a dirt poor background, and he was obsessed with finding a wealthy or well-off woman to marry. It was such an unhealthy focus, that he couldn't meet someone that he would be more compatible with. He did marry someone from a richer family but after 10 years of marriage, she couldn't deal with him anymore and they split. And then he was cut off from all her family's money. Which was a problem because he didn't really like to work that much.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:38 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
I'm a middle class kind of guy. I would generally want to be involved with someone in that range as well. I think people tend to have more in common with people with a similar background. Even if I won 10 million in the lotto, I'd still be the same middle class kind of person. In my experience with some people and again, just doing a little generalization here, but I find that as people go up on the scale they tend to try to start trying to put on airs. Mrs. Chow has an older brother and I would have in the past considered him to be in the upper middle class range and it sure seemed like they let you know it in subtle ways. He has since lost his business and has been unemployed for a while now. Those airs are a whole lot less put on now.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:38 PM

594 posts, read 379,785 times
Hmm. Let's see. Do I want the rich guy or the poor guy? Let me think........

Personally I want to steer clear of gold diggers so I tend to date women who are accomplished and professionals. They don't have to be rich but they do have to be self sufficient.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:01 PM
qwy

296 posts, read 520,052 times
I don't think their social economic background matters as far as money is concerned

BUT

I do think their social background matters as far as what they value, their goals, their work ethic, etc.

Look at Donald Trumps history, anyone can be born rich and then become poor (though he did eventually pull himself out of bankruptcy). Anyone can be born poor and yet, eventually become a millionaire. But how do they view treating a partner? How do they act when you make mistakes or are not "momentarily" looking or acting your best? Will they still stay with you? Will they show understanding, compassion?

To me this is what I look for when considering someone's social background, not how much money they can bring into my life.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:59 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Tough decision for me. I like the grit of working class and blue collar backgrounds since that's how I grew up but being in area like DC which has mostly professional classes of women who are available.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:12 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times
A woman who is in the middle class, no children, and has never been divorced. Won't settle for less now.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:18 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Long as he is a hard worker,don't care.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:26 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,224,821 times
There's something about the way the question is posed that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It feels like looking down on other people and I would never want to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships