Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 06:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well she got 200 on her next paycheck, but she could use more, since 200 is not enough to finish off the dentist bill, with the interest that goes up, the longer she takes to pay it at all.
Has she discussed a payment plan with her dentist? Our dentist usually charges interest on unpaid balances, but when we set up a payment plan he did not charge us any interest because he knew that we would pay off the debt as soon as we could manage it.

And, even some dentists that charge interest charge so little interest that it basically is only enough to pay to sent out a bill every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
(snip)

BTW, when hubby and I were going through some really bad financial spots we paid our long term dentist $25 or $50 a month, even though the bills started out over $1,000 or $2,000 on a couple of occasions. The dentist knew that as soon as we had the money we would pay him off immediately and we did.
One time, we paid $25 or $50 for at least six months, but as soon as we got our tax refund for $2,000 we paid off the bill in full.

Quote:
And the reason why she didn't get a good job, is cause the economy is not good where we live right now.
Even if the economy is bad, does she do other things to earn money? Sell things on eBay or Craigslist? Do odd jobs for money? Look for a part time job? Or does she just whine and complain about the economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 07:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Well she got 200 on her next paycheck, but she could use more, since 200 is not enough to finish off the dentist bill, with the interest that goes up, the longer she takes to pay it at all.

And the reason why she didn't get a good job, is cause the economy is not good where we live right now.
OP, no health care provider or dentist charges that much interest that it would be overwhelming after just a couple of months. That's a trumped-up issue. Who mentioned the interest accruing, you or her? It sounds like another attempt to pressure you to cough up more money.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:55 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Has she discussed a payment plan with her dentist? Our dentist usually charges interest on unpaid balances, but when we set up a payment plan he did not charge us any interest because he knew that we would pay off the debt as soon as we could manage it.

And, even some dentists that charge interest charge so little interest that it basically is only enough to pay to sent out a bill every month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, no health care provider or dentist charges that much interest that it would be overwhelming after just a couple of months. That's a trumped-up issue. Who mentioned the interest accruing, you or her? It sounds like another attempt to pressure you to cough up more money.
My dentist charges 1 1/2 % interest on unpaid bills (unless you set up a payment plan & then he waives the interest). I have absolutely no idea if that is typical or not, because that seems pretty darn low, but at his interest rate your GF would be charged $4.50 each month for the $300 that she has left to pay. All she would have to do is give up one fast food lunch or one Starbucks coffee with her co-workers and she would have saved that money to pay the interest.

And, even if the interest rate is higher that is the price that she needs to pay because she did not have an emergency fund saved up. BTW, my dentist reduces the bill by 15% if you pay in cash the day that the work is done. So as an example, if your GF had an emergency fund that she could use the day that she had her $1,000 dental work she would have saved $150 off of the bill.

But, once again, the bottom line is it is her teeth and her responsibility to pay the bill.

BTW, if I ever found out that my adult daughter asked a random boyfriend to pay her bills I would feel that I had failed as a parent. To me, that is sort of like being a Sugar Baby or a hooker, trading sex for money. Of course, when you are married or engaged or are equal partners in a long term, life time relationship that is a different situation. But, iron pony, I do not believe that you are married, engaged or are "equal partners" in a long term, life time committed relationship. Of course, sometimes people loan or even just give small amounts of money to a close friend who is in a jam, but this does not seem to be that type of situation. To me, it seems like she is just trying to con you out of your hard earned money instead of trying to work harder to earn money of her own.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:21 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
Okay thanks. I am not going to give her the money she paid me back with, out of sympathy for her then, if that's not too harsh, if the assessment of her is right, and I have not given the wrong impression of her.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:35 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
So are you going to break up with her or not?

Old 10-21-2016, 06:46 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Seriously if you are looking for advice on how to break up with your girlfriend on an anonymous forum, you are probably doing her a favor.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:58 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Did you break up with her as you intended?

Old 10-21-2016, 05:27 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
Yes I am going to break up with her.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:55 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
When.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:57 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Yes I am going to break up with her.
Soon? It has been almost a month since you said you were....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships