Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 12:06 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Pitt View Post
What's the problem? It's a huge compliment. No one is young forever, everyone gets old. So when a guy says that you look good for your age, it should be taken as a very big compliment. It's saying that you are aging well. You should be happy and thankful that someone is reassuring you that you're still looking good and will probably continue to do so for some time. If they didn't tell you this, you wouldn't know, and you'd think you're ugly even if you're not. Men don't have this problem. Is it because people think that men age better than women? Perhaps, but a compliment is still a compliment.

So next time a guy says hey, you look great for your age, smile and be happy. At least you're getting a compliment.
Women don't like to be told this, for the same reason men don't like it. They don't take it as a compliment, because the basic message is that "You look old". The part about "looking good", is only secondary.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:11 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
When you're as old as I am, it is more of a compliment but most younger women might take it as a rather back-handed compliment. More like, you look every bit as old as you are but not bad for that age.
Read all the posts where almost everybody says they look younger than they are. Most seem to think so, so that's what they want to hear.
For a woman, I guess, it is only a "real" compliment if it is worded as

"Oh, you look gooooood!"

and drop the ...."FOR YOUR AGE !".........:-D))

Old 10-01-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I suppose better than... hey you must have looked great in your younger days...
Oh, no...that really hurts...:-D(((

Old 10-01-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I don't mention the actual age and just say " you look younger my love " or just a simple " you look great " ... will suffice.

fine and pleasant compliments that won't be taken the wrong way.

Often people who look less attractive or older than that person would add....

......"for your age..."

This "sting" added out of envy to make that person feel bad.

Last edited by rent.in.nyc; 10-01-2016 at 12:42 PM..

Old 10-01-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
"Your penie sure looks big for as fat as you are."

"Your boobs sure are less saggy than all those other breastfeeding moms."

"You sure dress nice for a poor person."
LOL.......priceless!...Hahaha

Old 10-01-2016, 12:29 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
Don't feed the trolls.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
It isn't cool to say that. I had a woman once call me ugly and then said it was a joke and I was so livid with her. She had the audacity to tell me "Whoa dude it's just a joke, don't be so serious." I called her a b**ch because she was indeed being one. She stopped talking to me and never did it again. Those aren't compliments it's a person being a passive aggressive jerk.
Soooo? Are you ugly?

Old 10-01-2016, 12:39 PM

914 posts, read 737,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Soooo? Are you ugly?
LOL. I believe you're only teasing him here but just in case you aren't - it's really not nice to call someone ugly. It's also pointless and rude. "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all" is probably the best policy when it comes to opinions on looks, especially unsolicited ones

Old 10-01-2016, 12:39 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Often people who look less attractive or older than that person would add....

......"for your age..."

This "sting" added out of envy to make that person feel bad.
It's possible

But I think in most cases it's not intentional to actually offend someone and they do mean it as a compliment without realising how it comes across.

The funniest one I've ever seen and luckily she saw the funny side of it was when a mate " complimented " his new bird....

When we were watching a programme about models and she commented on one in particular he said " Michelle you could be a model .... she's a right dog!! " 😂😂😂😂!

Now he obviously meant it as she was better looking than the model but the way it came out! LMAO

Old 10-01-2016, 12:41 PM

914 posts, read 737,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
The funniest one I've ever seen and luckily she saw the funny side of it was when a mate " complimented " his new bird....

When we were watching a programme about models and she commented on one in particular he said " Michelle you could be a model .... she's a right dog!! " 😂😂😂😂!

Now he obviously meant it as she was better looking than the model but the way it came out! LMAO
Hahaha - I wish I could have seen the look on Michelle's face when he said that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships