Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 01:55 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times

Advertisements

lol

Anyway, as with so many subjects/traits, people are different, varied. This is obvious, if not painfully so. To me, humor, wit, seeing the ludicrousness in life, etc., is so enjoyable, that I truly can't imagine living without it. Never mind that it can consistently get you through the toughest times in life.

Of course, this doesn't take into consideration people's different takes on what is funny. That's a whole 'nother story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 06:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Op, a lot of what you see in tv and movies is this snarky sarcasm that I suppose makes people laugh but is very off-putting in someone close to you.

If you are emulating this, I'd stop. It's not attractive IRL.

Then there's this guy I work with. He's funny and makes everyone laugh. And I suppose he's conventionally handsome, too. But I don't find him attractive at all because
the humor seems like there is an underlying bitterness to it. And he needs to be the center of attention. AND he can dish stuff out but not take it.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:18 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
Most of the women that I approach in my area are boring to talk to and are hard to entertain for some reason which makes me want to ask this question, is being funny not working anymore? I believe it doesn't unless if the person is interested in you, then of-course they will find you funny, but if they don't and you mention the same joke or funny thing to them, they would probably not even laugh like they did when the person they were more interested in, also said.
I like a man with a sense of humor. IMO, there is a difference between having a sense of humor and being funny to get attention. And a person needs to know when to be serious.

I also don't think practical jokes aren't funny. If someone played a joke to scare me, I would only be angry. And then there are the ones where someone could get hurt.

I like a person who can see the funny side of humans, because we all do funny things every now and again. And I tend to laught at myself, so having another person around who is aware that he isn't perfect either would be a plus.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I like a man with a sense of humor. IMO, there is a difference between having a sense of humor and being funny to get attention. And a person needs to know when to be serious.

I also don't think practical jokes aren't funny. If someone played a joke to scare me, I would only be angry. And then there are the ones where someone could get hurt.

I like a person who can see the funny side of humans, because we all do funny things every now and again. And I tend to laught at myself, so having another person around who is aware that he isn't perfect either would be a plus.
I've always found practical jokes as a very good litmus test of a person's nature. Because the only purpose of a practical joke is to humiliate someone else. It's kind of sadistic. No, wait. It's really sadistic.

I was on the receiving end of a practical joke just once. I worked for a small company owned by a husband/wife. They both called in on Friday morning, Good Friday in fact, and claimed they were sick with food poisoning. Okay, no prob. Light day, I could run the show.

Within minutes, the phone began ringing off the hook. Every one of our clients started calling up with these emergency jobs. Stuff that was all due the following Monday. Fortunately, I wasn't rattled. I started ordering supplies to be delivered, called in markers with suppliers, called extra workers to come in later that day and Saturday, etc. etc. "Oh, well. There goes my Easter weekend," I thought to myself.

Then about 11:30, as the phones kept ringing off the hook, my assistant noticed something. It was April 1st.

With that, I asked a trusted client of ours if this was indeed an April Fool's joke, and he confirmed it. So I called a staff meeting, sent everyone home, but didn't bother to cancel several thousand dollars worth of supplier orders. I hopped in the car and drove to the beach.

The following Monday, I strolled in around noon to an apologetic pair of bosses and quit. "Jokes on you," were my parting words. And I wasn't alone. They lost half their employees because of that stunt. And a couple of those clients wound up engaging me instead of my former bosses as a result.

Last edited by cpg35223; 10-09-2016 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 03:42 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I've always found practical jokes as a very good litmus test of a person's nature. Because the only purpose of a practical joke is to humiliate someone else. It's kind of sadistic. No, wait. It's really sadistic.
I consider myself a student of comedy, I really pay attention to comedians and to me the world is just rife with material to goof around with.

I find practical jokes to be the lowest form of "humor" there is. I detest them on a level that probably shouldn't be given as much energy to, but it's just how I feel.

I think that they are mean spirited and just stupid as can be.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I consider myself a student of comedy, I really pay attention to comedians and to me the world is just rife with material to goof around with.

I find practical jokes to be the lowest form of "humor" there is. I detest them on a level that probably shouldn't be given as much energy to, but it's just how I feel.

I think that they are mean spirited and just stupid as can be.
Yep. Another of the bottom feeders in the humor universe is sarcasm. Any knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing idiot can be sarcastic. Five year olds can be sarcastic and do so rather well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships