Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2016, 02:03 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Exactly and especially as you see each other more often and it become more "casual" and more "couple like" I can't imagine a woman not wanting to pitch in, at least some of the time, old school or not, to be honest.
That's the normal trajectory. But the OP's situation started out already "casual" if you could call it that: she was a hookup or FWB or something, and they morphed into a dating couple. Not that that excuses her, but she kind of already started out being the gf. And he started out a bit intensely, it seems, with dinners, concerts and at least a couple of road trips to resorts. That was his bad, and then I gather that he felt awkward about saying anything as the dating (and paying) continued, so now he's asking us how to dial it all back, and get her involved in paying.

He says his budget is fried, so that's all he has to do, is tell her his budget is fried, and he can't afford those activities anymore, or not with the same frequency, unless she pays half the time.

Popcorn, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 02:03 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I got married in college so honestly don't know. Do people in their 30s and 40s have "will you be my girlfriend" talks nowadays? I've had long-term boyfriends but not enough where I know what the ritual is to make it "real." Unless you mean engagement? If so, never mind.
Generally for me it was always "should we be exclusive," not "boyfriend/girlfriend".

Old 10-05-2016, 02:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I'm in my late 20s now and see a woman in her early 30s. It started off as a hookup and transitioned into seeing each other 1 to 3 times a week with occasional sleepovers and road trips over the last 2 months.

I've payed for all of our dates and road trips, including hotel stays at resorts, fuel, food, tickets for events, etc. I think I make more money than her, but I won't ask since its not my business. I'm concerned that I set the expectation that I will pay for everything.

How do I set the expectation that I want her to start paying her fair share for some of our dates, trips, and encounters? I don't care about having a 50/50 split, but chipping in for fuel, hotels, dates, food, etc would be great.
Well, she thinks you're dating. Maybe she's traditional that way. But if you need a little financial help, why don't you just ask?

Old 10-05-2016, 02:08 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
They're sleeping together and going on vacations. That's not courting.
This crossed my mind, too. The relationship is in ambiguous territory, undefined. Is she a gf? A F-buddy with benefits? Is the relationship headed anywhere, other than the Poor House for him? Are they just having fun? That's fine, but why should he be her Santa Claus?

Old 10-05-2016, 02:34 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Literally explain your concerns her that you may have set up an expectation that you are not ok moving forward with.

The discussion the follows should tell you what you need to know

Old 10-05-2016, 02:42 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The anti feminist thing is something I've only ever seen here (like many things). Who the heck wants to date someone that believes they should be a second class citizen?

I have to think, and hope, every guy that has a daughter would automatically become a feminist. The idea that there are fathers of daughters out there that think his daughter shouldn't have equal rights and opportunities in their lives is just nauseating.
Of course women should have equal rights and opportunities.

The problem is most feminists don't want equal-they want equal when things are unfair against them but want better when things are currently better.
They want equal pay for equal work (which they should get) but don't want to pay on a date.

They preach equality but then want nonsense like title 9 for sports scholarships- ie they want equal college scholarships for sports while being drastically worse at them.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:46 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Are you dating her with the intention to propose marriage?

OR is she just a friend?

If she's "just a friend" then why not say "Hey I love to go out and do things together, but I need you to offer to help pay expenses next time...." or something along those lines.

I assume you feel she is just a friend and you are not thinking of her as a future wife, since if you really loved her that much, money wouldn't be an issue.
Money wouldn't be an issue is fairy tale Disney nonsense.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:48 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,829,673 times
One sided relationships are not sustainable. If your needs are not being met, or if you feel that you are the only one giving and nothing is being reciprocated, then you should just stop seeing her.

Personally, I would never tell someone I was dating that it was time to "start paying". If I wasn't happy with what they voluntarily had to offer me, I would move on. Accept or reject. It's really that simple.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:57 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Of course women should have equal rights and opportunities.

The problem is most feminists don't want equal-they want equal when things are unfair against them but want better when things are currently better.
They want equal pay for equal work (which they should get) but don't want to pay on a date.

They preach equality but then want nonsense like title 9 for sports scholarships- ie they want equal college scholarships for sports while being drastically worse at them.
I don't know ANY "feminists" who DON'T want to pay for dates.

#silliness

Old 10-05-2016, 03:01 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't know ANY "feminists" who DON'T want to pay for dates.

#silliness
I wasn't aware that there was even a connection between feminism and paying for dates.

Learn something new every day on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships