Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 04:17 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Heres something that may spark some interest.

Do you have to start off as friends first before you enter a relationship?

Or can it be possible to hit it off already and start dating and beyong boyfriend/girlfriend?

Whats your opinion on this?

Did you start off as friends before you met your partner or did you get all kissy and lovey dovey first?

"Love is friendship that has caught fire". Don't know where I read that but I love the sentiment. If you start out as friends it is easier to go through the rough parts in relationships and marriages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 04:19 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Your situation.....Exception to the rule!
I agree, more often than not. I'm not saying it's super rare, but I think the percentages of people who were friends first is much lower than those who were not.

For those who were friends before being in a relationship, I'm curious as to why you were friends for so long before actually becoming romantically involved? Were one or both of you not interested in one another at first? Were one or both of you in a relationship when you first met, thus not being able to date each other? I'm just trying to understand.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:21 PM

401 posts, read 552,050 times
So it's tricky. I've seen longer term relationships last longer when people have been friends for maybe a year before hitting it off. I've seen instances where that random acquaintance/friend knew of each other then all of a sudden years later, they hit it off at a party and date for years after. I've seen longer relationships last when this is the case of being friends then relationship.

But I've seen people who had immediate attraction for someone and jumped to a relationship within a month or two and last years but I've probably seen the worst breakups from people like this. Breakups where neither party can see each other as a friend because they jumped right to being bf/gf almost immediately.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:43 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Simultaneous development of sexual and friendship relationships seems most likely to me. I can't imagine things going sexual with someone who has been just a friend in the past. The tendency for humans to copulate with strangers from another village, is a natural mechanism to avoid inbreeding.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdefinitely View Post
So it's tricky. I've seen longer term relationships last longer when people have been friends for maybe a year before hitting it off. I've seen instances where that random acquaintance/friend knew of each other then all of a sudden years later, they hit it off at a party and date for years after. I've seen longer relationships last when this is the case of being friends then relationship.

But I've seen people who had immediate attraction for someone and jumped to a relationship within a month or two and last years but I've probably seen the worst breakups from people like this. Breakups where neither party can see each other as a friend because they jumped right to being bf/gf almost immediately.
For me, I have no interest at all in being friends with someone I like as more than a friend. If she doesn't like me, that's her choice and quite alright. But it's also my choice to refuse to be just friends with her.

I know plenty of people that knew their partner before dating, but not really as friends. It all depends on what you consider a friend though. My best friend went out with a girl for over 4 years, who was his mom's best friend's daughter. They were kind of far apart in age when they were young, so they weren't really close. They were 6 years apart and that's a big difference when you're young. She was 19 and he was 25 or 26 when they first started going out. I had first met my fiancé 18 or 19 years before we got together. We were not friends though, just acquaintances. She went out with a friend of mine years ago and I was friends with her sister years ago. We hung out on groups a few times and I had a class with her in high school. I think we might have had 2-3 conversations before we started dating, maybe a handful at most. And it had been about 10-11 years since we had saw each other.

If you eventually become romantically involved with a friend, I think that's fine. I just absolutely don't agree with the idea that you should be friends with them first before dating. If I like a girl, I'm gonna tell her right away. There might be an instance where she isn't single and then she becomes single down the road and I'll try to date her. I'm just hypothetically throwing that out there though, it hasn't happened to me.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:00 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I agree, more often than not. I'm not saying it's super rare, but I think the percentages of people who were friends first is much lower than those who were not.
I'm certain that most relationships are not born out of friendship... I used to wonder if that's the reason behind so many failed relationships/divorces/separations....

Quote:
For those who were friends before being in a relationship, I'm curious as to why you were friends for so long before actually becoming romantically involved? Were one or both of you not interested in one another at first? Were one or both of you in a relationship when you first met, thus not being able to date each other? I'm just trying to understand.
Simply put... We were from very different backgrounds/upbringing.

I was in a LTR at the time she contacted me to rent a room with me. She was fairly sheltered, naive, and relatively conservative (not politically.. ). My circle of friends, my GF, and I were open sexually and we partied a lot. Many of us didn't come from the prototypical middle class family. My relationship with my future wife evolved over time to the point that we didn't really see a future without each other. We did everything together... simply clicked. She helped me through my personal struggles and I was always there for hers. It took a long time (eventually living together as a couple) to determine whether or not we could build a life together.

Till this day, I am completely amazed how she managed to step way out of her comfort zone to reach out and "fit in" while still never changing who she is underneath. I found that extremely attractive... she has a huge heart and unlimited compassion.

Officially married for 15+ years with three children... I have to admit, we've had marital problems recently (mostly from being overwhelmed and stressed). I think our underlying close friendship has helped us work things out.

Do I think it is necessary to be friends first? No. Do I believe it helps build a strong relationship? Yes. Do I believe that it is necessary to build a strong relationship? Nope. At some point, your spouse should be your close friend... if not the closest.

Last edited by usayit; 10-09-2016 at 06:11 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I'm certain that most relationships are not born out of friendship... I used to wonder if that's the reason behind so many failed relationships/divorces/separations....
Agreed.

And I would bet that a large majority of people that were friends before dating were more aquintances or not sure of the word I'm looking for, but not exactly best of friends.

To make myself clear, I do think it's alright to start a relationship with someone you've been friends with. Especially if the circumstances involved one or both being in a relationship prior to dating and them not being available to be in a relationship prior to that.

What I'm against, is the notion and idea that people should be just friends first, before becoming romantically linked to each other. That's a good way to find yourself permanently banished to friend zone. Especially if you were being their friend because you thought it was only gonna help your chances of being more than that. I've known some guys that think being friends first will help their chances of eventually being more than that.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:16 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Quote:

Or can it be possible to hit it off already and start dating and beyong boyfriend/girlfriend?

Did you start off as friends before you met your partner or did you get all kissy and lovey dovey first?
Nope. Being friends first is not a prerequisite for a relationship for me. I can learn what I need to know about the other person in the dating process- we don't need to have a friendship foundation first.

I have started relationships both ways, and have not found one to be better than the other for me. I also know quite a few long-lasting relationships that didn't start "friends first", so I couldn't say if, overall, it's "better".

Old 10-10-2016, 01:30 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,134 times
I believe that a friendship is a great foundation to a great relationship. Without that, you just have attraction, or in other words, lust.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:43 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,996 times
Quote:

Men and women can't really be friends.

A woman decides if she would sleep with a man in the first 30 seconds they meet.

The longer you wait, the worse your odds are.

This is the truth.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships