Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 02:40 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,691,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
So I guess I'm really struggling with trying to see how other people make mixed political marriages work (especially since I'm the one that changed some). Also, any thoughts on dealing with my in-laws and my new found political thoughts?

Thanks
By not talking about it, although that may be very hard as your views diverge. But as I see it, you are exercising Christian compassion, which is pretty laudable in my book. Gratuitously, I would add, don't let politics interfere with your own faith. To wit: "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 03:39 AM

619 posts, read 572,001 times
Prior to any get together with the in laws, put together a number of "non political" topics for discussion. I don't mean as in writing them out on the blackboard and handing people cards with "acceptable topics", but for you to do a little research and have some interesting topics ready (climate change, local news, interesting scientific discovery, sports, etc). Then if/when the discussion vears toward murky waters, you introduce your "so how about them Knicks?" line.

You can also do what I've done in the past and say "we don't discuss x in my home" (assuming this takes place in your home)

Of course, some people are just aggressive and disagreeable types no matter what the discussion is about. I know someone like that. Before he would come, we were all forewarned about his manner, and given a "list" of *acceptable * topics. However this one person would rant and rave and play the bkame/conspiracy game about any topic, even seemingly lame topics like *the weather*

Old 10-16-2016, 05:07 AM

11,379 posts, read 24,385,676 times
Both my husband's family and my family are politically conservative. We're not. They know it.

We rarely discuss politics with them. They tend to be considerate about it as well.

Actually, it makes things easier that they know our beliefs, because everyone prefers to get along with one another rather than fight. If Fox News comes on, we move to another room. If someone gets excited about an issue, we all try to damp it down before it gets divisive.

By being an example of compassion, you may be quietly serving as the best example you can be.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:12 AM

9 posts, read 4,569 times
Default Re: Can Use Some Advice

This thing has ruined family relations in a bad way. Please keep those issues at home. Rather than discussing with family. You can't change anyone opinion but you have to respect in every possible way.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:17 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,880,600 times
Agree to disagree. You don't need to rub your political opinions in each others faces. It is just 2-3 more weeks and the craziness is calming down a lot and politics are easier to ignore.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:43 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,640,397 times
I guess just be as respectful as possible. Your opinions aren't wrong because they're different.

Another thing is, maybe you can use your faith to bridge some of the gap. In other words, tie your views together with your faith and maybe they'll be less likely to get mad or shut you down.

Ordinarily I would say try to distance religion from politics as much as possible, because a lot of times the two are not relevant to each other, but people often use religion to imbue a political viewpoint with the illusion of moral authority. Or uses a political viewpoint to prop up a religious belief.

But maybe doing that could work to your advantage?

I could be way off though.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:00 AM

1,071 posts, read 619,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Unless you feel strongly that you would need to defend your position, I'd just smile and nod or redirect when the topic of politics comes up. My mil is extremely religious and very opinionated and loves to talk about her beliefs. I do not share her beliefs at all. I just smile and change the subject when I can. It's worked for us for over 21 years now.
:-)

Old 10-20-2016, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
By not talking about it, although that may be very hard as your views diverge. But as I see it, you are exercising Christian compassion, which is pretty laudable in my book. Gratuitously, I would add, don't let politics interfere with your own faith. To wit: "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's".
Thanks

Old 10-20-2016, 06:14 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships