Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,788,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Regarding JerZ's advice to reconsider your standards, I look at it this way. If you're passing on women you like, respect, feel strongly attracted to, and who share a good number of your important values, because you think you need some ill defined "more", I'd suggest that you take a long look at "more". Is "more" about ego or validation or to prove something to your ex? Those kind of "standards" are unhealthy and unproductive, and well worth letting go. However if you're looking for a good mutual connection with a woman who is on the same or similar page as you, then I would stick with that. If you can't connect with a woman like that, then look at the things you've identified and put your efforts into improving there. My guess is you may need do less, rather than more, in the sense of getting out of your own way.
Well said. I agree. I just need to relax around women and not view the ones I want as "better than I am", or "out of my league". The unfortunate thing is where I live now, most of those women who I'm attracted to are either married or probably too young. But you perfectly described what I'm looking for and I'm not lowering my standards. I just have to not over think it and be relaxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 06:50 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,975,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Regarding JerZ's advice to reconsider your standards, I look at it this way. If you're passing on women you like, respect, feel strongly attracted to, and who share a good number of your important values, because you think you need some ill defined "more", I'd suggest that you take a long look at "more". Is "more" about ego or validation or to prove something to your ex? Those kind of "standards" are unhealthy and unproductive, and well worth letting go. However if you're looking for a good mutual connection with a woman who is on the same or similar page as you, then I would stick with that. If you can't connect with a woman like that, then look at the things you've identified and put your efforts into improving there. My guess is you may need do less, rather than more, in the sense of getting out of your own way.
Good thoughts.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:19 PM

70 posts, read 46,480 times
I also think it comes down to some guys being more approachable than others. It also depend on the kind of man you are. If you are a dominant man girls will most likely not approach much.

I've been approached directly only two or three times in my life but had my fair share of partners and I wouldn't say I'm unattractive. But most girls I talk with say I am too intense and they expect me to make a move if I like them. I have friends who get approached a lot and they definitely give a more friendly first impression. A special circumstance would be if the guy is popular in a certain environment (like a dj for example,or a barman). Some of these will get swarmed by girls who want one night stands.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:34 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,409,637 times
[quote=JerZ;46414041]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevercuts View Post

If a person specifically goes to other people (such as here, in a forum) to ask for help/aid/advice, with a specific complaint about not being able to obtain a mate, then yes, of course those people may be "criticized", or at least, they'll be questioned to find out exactly what the problem is...otherwise, how the heck can anyone give the help that is being ASKED for?

Seems pretty simple to me.

I doubt any of us is stopping Atlguy on the street, yanking him aside, and barking criticisms about his preferences into his face, unsolicited, while he mumbles, "But I just want the freedom to have my preferences in peace."

Wanting what one wants is fine. Wanting what one wants and never getting it, period, and worrying and fretting about getting older and possibly never finding that thing, and specifically asking people how to avoid it, is asking for people to delve deeper. We are not psychic. What are we supposed to say? "You're right, and you'll never get what you want?" Or, "Well, what is it you're doing, whom are you looking for, how do you approach," etc., etc.? And, yes... "Are you being too demanding?" Because obviously that's a possibility.

Although my name (UsAll) appears in the quote you have in your posting (where it says "Originally posted by _____", that is actually not a quote of mine. It appears that through Monday & Tuesday, 12/5 & 12/6/2016, for a variety of posters (including myself), C-D has been experiencing a technical glitch as far as not being able to allow us to correctly quote someone the way the quoting mechanism usually works.

P.S.-- You see what I'm talking about? I just quoted the poster named JerZ and posted my response that you see above and yet now I don't even see JerZ's name appearing anywhere in this new posting at all.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:53 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,926,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGi87 View Post
I also think it comes down to some guys being more approachable than others. It also depend on the kind of man you are. If you are a dominant man girls will most likely not approach much.

I've been approached directly only two or three times in my life but had my fair share of partners and I wouldn't say I'm unattractive. But most girls I talk with say I am too intense and they expect me to make a move if I like them. I have friends who get approached a lot and they definitely give a more friendly first impression. A special circumstance would be if the guy is popular in a certain environment (like a dj for example,or a barman). Some of these will get swarmed by girls who want one night stands.
I played in bands and would have women chat me up all the time, despite never chatting me up randomly any other place. I made it a policy after a dumpster fire of a non-hook up encounter, that I would never hook up with any girl I met while playing music.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:26 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,267,730 times
The most common stubborn reasons I hear from women is that "because guys are hunters", "because men court women, its been that way traditionally"

Old 12-06-2016, 10:35 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,299,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
The most common stubborn reasons I hear from women is that "because guys are hunters", "because men court women, its been that way traditionally"
Some men like when women ask them while other men prefer being the hunter.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:45 AM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Quote:
I bet a lot of those same women approach guys they find attractive. Women won't let someone they view as a good prospect get away without at least an attempt to start something.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:46 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,705,586 times
Quote:
Good thing that not all women see it that way. I have no problem chatting up a guy I'm attracted to. How else is he supposed to notice me and know I'm interested? Not all guys are constantly checking out women, and, being average, I don't really stand out in a crowd.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:58 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,299,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I bet a lot of those same women approach guys they find attractive. Women won't let someone they view as a good prospect get away without at least an attempt to start something.
Really? There are many women who refuse to approach a man even if she likes him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships