Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 08:59 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Memories! That was my jam. One of many, of course.
For some reason I feel as if "Here comes the Hotstepper" is a nice companion piece to "Return of the Mack". The style is somewhat similar to me and I often feel like listening to the other after listening to one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 09:00 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheMack2017 View Post
yeah, I wonder who wears the pants in that marriage.
Lol, that absolutely doesn't mean anything.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:04 PM

437 posts, read 336,160 times
The answer is pretty simple.

Bc if they are attractive or somewhat attractive they dont need to. As they will usually already get enough male attention/approaches.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:39 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
Women "approach" but usually in an indirect way (eye contact, random conversation about how slow the elevator is etc). The problem for most men is that these indirect approaches (to the male eye) look just like someone being friendly in a non-platonic way. The female approach is ambiguous and most men don't want to make the mistake of trying to move on a woman only to find out that she's married and was just being polite.

Better looking men tend to get approached in more explicit ways while more average guys get approached but in less obvious ways. That's why lots of average guys will say "I never get approached" while most women say "I've approached lots of average guys."

Old 08-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Women "approach" but usually in an indirect way (eye contact, random conversation about how slow the elevator is etc). The problem for most men is that these indirect approaches (to the male eye) look just like someone being friendly in a non-platonic way. The female approach is ambiguous and most men don't want to make the mistake of trying to move on a woman only to find out that she's married and was just being polite.

Better looking men tend to get approached in more explicit ways while more average guys get approached but in less obvious ways. That's why lots of average guys will say "I never get approached" while most women say "I've approached lots of average guys."
If I was unbiased, I would be on the side of the guys in that scenario. You can't expect a guy to think that you're trying to do more than just friendly talk in that situation.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:37 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
Although I have said differently in the past, I have a change of heart. I like a woman with backbone, a woman who knows what she wants and goes for it. If a woman shows interest in me first and I find her attractive, I'm immediately interested. People are attracted to people that stand out and aren't all like the others, so if some women just sit and wait for a man to make moves, the woman that stands out to me is the one who will make a move. THAT is sexy to me.

Let's not get it twisted, I am not desperate, I don't need a woman, I am fine and live perfectly happily as a single man, so I don't feel the need or desire to chase a woman. I'm also not afraid of rejection, so it's not that I don't approach often because I'm afraid. I just don't care enough to bother tbh. But if a woman shows me she is interested and I find her attractive? You bet your a** that I'm going to ask her out quick as possible.

Ladies, take a lesson from the song "Call me maybe." That's the kind of woman I find attractive. There is nothing more alluring to me than a woman who shows me she is into me. By waiting for the man to do everything you look exactly the same as the other women out there. What sets you apart from the rest? Approaching. Making a move. That is sexy. That shows me you're a strong woman who don't need no man to make a move

BTW, any man who is afraid of a strong-willed woman is insecure in his masculinity..

Old 08-30-2017, 08:50 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
I've always thought it makes more sense in practical terms for the woman to initiate conversation. Usually doesn't happen, though a girl did approach me at a bar over the weekend. We talked for about an hour and then left and went to a few other places, didn't head home until closing time. So it does happen occasionally.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:05 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Quote:

There is a fine line between a woman making small talk in a business environment and her "approaching" you. I would suggest with coworkers, clients, suppliers one take a very careful tact when approaching another person this way.

Sometimes a conversation about the elevator or the weather is just that...

Old 08-30-2017, 02:03 PM

641 posts, read 405,492 times
Quote:
Which of course most of the time that's exactly what it is, friendly small talk, or a friendly glance - it's normal politeness. Guys don't know the difference because they aren't mind readers.

Guys can't detect covert subtlety as an indication of interest, or risk making a fool of themselves by guessing that's what it is when a woman is vaguely polite to them.

The problem with the indirect approach is it's done in a subtle enough way for the woman not to risk rejection as that's what they expect the guy to do.

Last edited by gazzaa2; 08-30-2017 at 02:13 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post
Which of course most of the time that's exactly what it is, friendly small talk, or a friendly glance - it's normal politeness. Guys don't know the difference because they aren't mind readers.

Guys can't detect covert subtlety as an indication of interest, or risk making a fool of themselves by guessing that's what it is when a woman is vaguely polite to them.

The problem with the indirect approach is it's done in a subtle enough way for the woman not to risk rejection as that's what they expect the guy to do.
It's one of the reasons (if not, the main one) why I like OLD so much. It completely removes that uncertainty factor. Even if you both start off making small talk, you know the both of you are interested in each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships