Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 10:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford307 View Post
Dated my GF since early 2008 and we moved into our apartment in May. Since then everything has been a fight. We fight over the grocery list( we're both into different kinds of food), the dishes( we both hate doing them so it's a fight over who has to do them), the tv. Everything in this place can be turned into an argument and I'm sick of it because this isn't like us. She was picking fights over how I hung up my jeans.. I'm at fault 100% of the time in her mind.
She is not going to change, and you cannot change her, so quit wasting your time. You need to set boundaries and prepare to cut her loose. Read her the Riot Act, and if she doesn't like it, let her leave. Or you move out, whichever is easiest for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 10:35 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
"What we have here is failure to communicate"

Old 11-02-2016, 10:42 PM

8 posts, read 4,021 times
Unfortunately most of our communicating is childish name calling and yelling.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:47 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
She is not going to change, and you cannot change her, so quit wasting your time. You need to set boundaries and prepare to cut her loose. Read her the Riot Act, and if she doesn't like it, let her leave. Or you move out, whichever is easiest for you.
People can change. I did and so did my husband as we adjusted to living together. I changed because I was motivated to. My husband didn't read me the riot act, he injected humor into things and teased me into submission. He would call me "Miss Bossypants" and he taunted me with his food choices, insisting that I secretly wanted them as much as he did. His good humor made it impossible to take our differences too seriously.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:52 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
As you obviously know, that is not how adults communicate.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:09 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
That's some petty fighting. Whoever dirtied the dishes, wash them (and put them in the dishwasher if you have one)

Hang up the jeans in a neat and orderly fashion

You both buy the food that you want. She buys her's and you buy yours.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:28 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
And this only started after you moved in together? For 8 years, no name calling or yelling, but now, suddenly, there are grenades going off all the time?

Old 11-03-2016, 01:30 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
That's some petty fighting. Whoever dirtied the dishes, wash them (and put them in the dishwasher if you have one)

Hang up the jeans in a neat and orderly fashion

You both buy the food that you want. She buys her's and you buy yours.
They both dirty the dishes, that's the problem. They both eat, presumably together.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:41 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Well then. You guys basically suck at this.
Cut to the chase will you!

But, yeah, this.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:17 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some people are very particular about housecleaning details. (Hanging up jeans (who does that, anyway? Who hangs jeans?), how to hang towels) There can be an adjustment period with compromises to be made. Maybe you could stake out a spare closet as yours, and it's off-limits to her for re-arranging.

You two eat different food from each other? You've dated for 8 years, but have eaten non-compatible diets? How do you coordinate meals together? In any case, there's no need to fight over a grocery list, is there? Just write down what you need on a central list, she contributes what she needs, and whoever goes to the store buys for both. Is that so hard? If you've been dating for 8 years, one would assume you're mature enough, old enough, to manage such simple things. Unless you were 12 when you started dating.

Dishes: each wash their own. Whoever cooks washes the cook pots. Both of you have been living alone, so both of you have already been washing your own dishes and cookware. Just keep doing that. How old are you two?
Uhm....yes, this could be a fight! Who puts jeans on a shelf and then you have to dig to the bottom to get the ones you want? Or do you dig through a drawer - drawer space is at a premium - not for jeans!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, OP - if a couple can't agree on silly stuff like this then each does "their own". You do your own laundry and then it's YOUR problem if you put something red in with the whites, not MINE! You fold and hang your own laundry - you can do it however you want.

As for hating to do dishes, what did you do when you were living on your own? Eat off of paper plates? Then do that now and you each throw yours away! Or you wash your own...whatever -it's not that hard to figure out.

This is all silly - you're both looking for stuff to fight over so that bodes very poorly for the relationship as a whole. Save your energy for REAL issues like when or if you're getting married, kids, and how much money to save! Really!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships